Hobby Lobby decision now used as a shield for child labor violations

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Explorer, Sep 19, 2014.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Exactly the same photo was used in another article today: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ts-smuggled-from-iraq/?utm_term=.20627783491a

Darn it Hobby Lobby!

As for FCLDS/FLDS, they seem extremely sketchy at best. If their religious practices involve incest, polygamy, and child abuse, then they can all go to jail. If the courts allow them to avoid testifying, then I'm actually ok with that, since there is a Fifth Amendment and all, but it probably won't stop the case from proceeding.

2. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Oh what do you know. Pain in the ass, shitty religious people have to have laws that cater to them and happen to make loop holes that people exploit. I'm so suprized.

bostjan likes this.
  3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I LOVE everything about the Iraqi artifact story. "Building a collection of ancient biblical artifacts is consistent with our corporate objectives." :lol: This is about the strongest argument for the publicly traded corporate structure I can think of. :lol:

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

That's kind of the tip of the iceberg.

First off, I doubt that Hobby Lobby's chief executives are naive enough to have not thought that it was a bit odd of the vendor to request that the payment be wired to seven different overseas bank accounts.
    Secondly, what you pointed out.
    Thirdly, collecting 4000 year old artifacts- because they are exclusively significant to a <2000 year old religion.
    Fourthly, if they feel these artifacts are so historically significant, why would they be presented to investors packed together in cardboard boxes with no protective material between them?

I feel ashamed that I ever set foot in a Hobby Lobby before. :noplease:

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

To the best of my knowledge I never have.

I'd actually be curious to see a museum on the history of the bible. For me, though, it would be interesting for historical reasons, rather than as a matter of faith. Or, rather, history of the document, and not some believe that the narratives themselves are an actual history of the world.