Hm Strat clean up HS/DM mod and respray (lots of pics) WIP

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Omzig, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Hey guys

Some of you might have seen this posted on another guitar forums modding section but i thought id bring it over here also as you guys are a bit more excepting of bright shred/metal guitars than other places ;)

So i picked up this rather unloved 1988 HM strat body/neck about 2 weeks ago,as you can see it was in a bit of a state,covered in a crusty grey primmer (partly rubbed back by the guy i purchased it from) and large globs of body filler...

[​IMG]

I was really hopping that the Razberry pink fade to mellow orange would have been uniformed but alas it was rather patchy on the front & even worse on the rear

[​IMG]
    Good news was that those massive globs of filler were hiding rather small dents non of which had made it to the wood :)

[​IMG]
    Before progressing any father i decided that id take the time to mod this to HS layout (although it will be HH as it will have a dual rail in the neck) and do away with the pickup ring and make the bridge HB direct mount

[​IMG]
    Also managed to score an as Unused chrome/black Spyder that had been sitting in a draw for some 20+ years!,it was missing its posts but thanks for whammy parts i have some replacements on the way,its a real shame that kahler haven't reissued these trems as they are fantastic bits of kit.

[​IMG]
    So after filling all the dents/rash and leveling/keying up the clear i gave her a pink base coat

[​IMG]

Now i might have stopped there but i always loved Greg Howe's Pink/Razberry Hm strat
    so i thought id kick the pink into overdrive today ;)

[​IMG]
    I stopped after 2 coats as it was leaving spots on my retina!
    this will get a few days to vent & next up is the clear coat.

Neck and Fingerboard were also in a bit of a state,and needed a strip/shave and bleach
    Here are a few before and after clean up shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neck and FB have now been finished up with some gloss Osmo top oil and look and feel x100 better

[​IMG]

Frets need a good dress/level and there are a few chips in the black edges of the headstock that need toughing up/drip filling but i'll get on to that once the clears on and venting

Sorry about the pic dump but this has been in progress for 2 weeks so.....and sorry if the last neo pink shot blinds anyone,maybe i should stick it behind a spoiler tag ;)

Laters
    Omzig

2. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Nice restore/mod! What the heck is that other lavendar/pink body in the background??

3. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Thx EE,and please don't ask about the other pink body ;)....no i just jest,That is a Maverick F3,which was originally red and pretty beat (back was a bit of mess,dents and scratches and it looked like someone had tried a relic effect on the bellycut)...its been stripped and refinished twice already first i had issues with the plastikote reacting with the sealer/primer id used,so that got stripped then i had problem with plastikote's own clearcoat coming off as a powder when i started to level it,3rd time lucky its been refinished from top to bottom in another brand and has a few more weeks to vent before i flat it off,here's a pic of it before i stripped it,Great guitars but they never made it to the states,very Ibanez like,some ppl hate the side on knobs but i think there pretty cool.

[​IMG]

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

5. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Fascinating! Thx!

6. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

So im almost ready to put this all together....

[​IMG]

Its a bit more pink in the flesh ! my phones camera can't seem handle the fluoresces.

So the main delay in get this all together comes from the clear venting,on the charvel it took just over 2 weeks and was rock solid ready to flat,but it seems the canbrush spray under this was a little slower to vent than the OK candy because after 2 weeks it still had a bit of a venting smell so i left if for another 2 weeks and setup an old 120mm 12v pc case fan to help move the fumes away.

Latest issue i have is the kahler mounting posts.....seems at some point in its history the studs have been swap out (im guessing for an OFR floyd) the problem with this is that the Floyd posts that fit these studs are 5.75mm and the kahlar replacement posts my bro got me from whammy parts in the USA are 4.75mm.....argghhh and i cant use standard floyd posts as the trem doesn't quite fulcum on them (the spyder knife edges sit over the top of the post head like -=) and there thickness also pushes the trem to far back so it wont sit in its route.

As i don't want the hassle/cost of tracking down org kahlar studs and filling-redrilling them ive decided to try some M5 Helical threads to take the studs internal tap down by 1mm so the kahlar post should then fit....waiting on the postman for those to arrive to try.

I think im going to grab a set of white vol/tone knobs to match the pickups,off to check evilbay china ;)

Laters

Ivars V, Edika, Mr_Mar10 and 4 others like this.
  7. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

That looks superb !

8. neun Arme

neun Arme SS.org Regular

That's gonna look awesome. Damn, I love these pink guitars.

9. Mr_Mar10

Mr_Mar10 SS.org Regular

Looking good mate, great re-finishing work

Care to elaborate on the cleaning/bleaching the neck? Literally carefully rub with diluted bleach?
    I’ve sanded & refinished dirty necks before obv a pain with a fretted neck... your results look excellent

80s as you like :hbang:

10. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Hey Guys

Many thank for the feedback,glad your digging the 80's flashback colour's ;)

@Mr_Mar10 : I use a open razor to shave back the top layer of crap

[​IMG]

after that wipe down with naphtha to get any grease out of the pores

then I use about 3 tsp of powered oxalic acid (what most bottled bleaches are made from) mixed with a 100ml or so of warm water (stronger if you really want to bleach it bone white) make sure you wear gloves and do it in a well ventilated area/mask

just dab it on to the effected area's and watch till you start to see the wood lighten,then wipe/wash off the oxalic acid and knock back the raised grain with degreased wirewood (wash the grease out of your wirewool with lots of dish soap and dry it out with a hair dryer)

ive also used a hair dryer to dry the acid back to a powered and then brushed it off but trust me that's not good for your health so id avoid doing it ;)

Hope that helps :)

I did the Helical thread mod on the studs today and it worked out great,but the replacement kahlar posts i got from wammy parts are pretty much worthless,i only turned them in-out 2-3 time and the allen recess already started to round out...weak ,i found some M5 countersunk stainless steel bolts on evilbay which will need a little modding to take the head diameter down a few mm but should be much more hardwearing.....

Got a few more control sets on the way as the clear set didn't do it for me

A set of white/clear bell

[​IMG]

And a set of Red/White/Clear

[​IMG]

Id like some correct fender elite knobs for her but im not paying £80/$100+ for set!

11. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

Always fancied an old HM Strat!
    Great job you did there, super cool!

12. neun Arme

neun Arme SS.org Regular

The white set should be the best looking, imo.

13. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

A quick photoshop mock up says your very correct ;)

[​IMG]

neun Arme likes this.
  14. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

I am definitely in camp white too. Choice excellent, my friend.

...what is that?

15. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Helical threads are basically small wire twists that allow you to repair/reduce threaded holes/studs,

[​IMG]

in my case i need to take the threaded studs of the floyd rose from 5.75 mm down to 4.75 mm to accept the original kahlar posts,the spyder trem fulcrums over the top of the trem post head,not part way down the post like a standard floyd rose
    as you can see below there are 2 knife edges and the post head sits between them like -=

Turns out i could have just left the studs as they were as i needed to make my own kahlar style trem posts because the replacement i got from wammy parts are pretty soft and there allen holes just wont stand up to much adjustment

Test set i made today from some ikea SS bolts i found in my crap box

[​IMG]

these worked out great but look a bit strange as X head so i got a set of 25 M5 25mm black SS countersunk bolts coming in the week,spec for them has the heads at 10mm but i can grind them down to the 8mm needed so the trem will fit its route still

PITA but its these little things that push us to learn ;)

Laters

zarg likes this.
  16. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

Whoah, that is a crazy concept. But I suppose it actually makes a lot of sense- the inserts in the baseplate don't take as much punishment, and posts are easier to replace (plus, as you've found you can modify a number of different screws/bolts to fit the bill). Super ingenious.

17. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

:)

So i was hopping to get this all together today and strung up to settle in for a few days before leveling/dressing...till this happened

[​IMG]

Freaking plate holes are out of line....not the end of the word as i have a chrome one i know is correct on another parts o superstrat,its pisses me off as i order the black from the same seller and it should have been the same spec/layout but its not......always check your parts when they arrive gentlemen!
    Any hows i got the direct mounts on the pups done,i just don't trust tin pot mounting screws and springs so inserts/bolts and foam it is ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to go rob that neck plate...

Later
    Steve

18. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Looks great! Did you use a spray gun or just cans?

19. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick SS.org Regular

Its looking awesome!

20. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Hey Guys

Thanks for the postive words and feedback :)

Hey JimF

This is "just cans" it's is about the 6th guitar ive finished with just rattle cans and i feel ive gotten a handle on getting a very good finish out of them,to quote St. Augustine “Patience is the companion of wisdom.” ;)

i don't have the space (or need) for a full spray setup/shop and as long as you take your time and allow things to vent/cure and keep your spray area clean/vented and use good quality cans you can get very good results,Worst part is waiting for the clear to cure/vent and flatting out the orange peel (using a gun setup im sure will reduce OP but you'ed still need to flat out) you can use 2k/UV clear if you want to speed up the clear coating part,Im about to start a few tests with thinned epoxy as a wipe on clear just need to see how it reacts with my paints

Anyhows back to the HM strat,She all together and getting tweaked/setup,atm the neck is taking a while to adjust to being under tension again (i think it was off unstrung for over 10 years) and ive had to order a new jacket socket/barrel as all the ones i had in my parts box were about 6mm to short....and only half the neck humbucker was outputing so that's had to go back for a replacement...lol but it's getting there hopefully all back together next week depending on the post,i will get some day light pics up when she's all done.

Laters
    Steve