Hm Strat clean up HS/DM mod and respray (lots of pics) WIP

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Omzig, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Hey guys

Some of you might have seen this posted on another guitar forums modding section but i thought id bring it over here also as you guys are a bit more excepting of bright shred/metal guitars than other places ;)

So i picked up this rather unloved 1988 HM strat body/neck about 2 weeks ago,as you can see it was in a bit of a state,covered in a crusty grey primmer (partly rubbed back by the guy i purchased it from) and large globs of body filler...

[​IMG]

I was really hopping that the Razberry pink fade to mellow orange would have been uniformed but alas it was rather patchy on the front & even worse on the rear

[​IMG]
    Good news was that those massive globs of filler were hiding rather small dents non of which had made it to the wood :)

[​IMG]
    Before progressing any father i decided that id take the time to mod this to HS layout (although it will be HH as it will have a dual rail in the neck) and do away with the pickup ring and make the bridge HB direct mount

[​IMG]
    Also managed to score an as Unused chrome/black Spyder that had been sitting in a draw for some 20+ years!,it was missing its posts but thanks for whammy parts i have some replacements on the way,its a real shame that kahler haven't reissued these trems as they are fantastic bits of kit.

[​IMG]
    So after filling all the dents/rash and leveling/keying up the clear i gave her a pink base coat

[​IMG]

Now i might have stopped there but i always loved Greg Howe's Pink/Razberry Hm strat
    so i thought id kick the pink into overdrive today ;)

[​IMG]
    I stopped after 2 coats as it was leaving spots on my retina!
    this will get a few days to vent & next up is the clear coat.

Neck and Fingerboard were also in a bit of a state,and needed a strip/shave and bleach
    Here are a few before and after clean up shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neck and FB have now been finished up with some gloss Osmo top oil and look and feel x100 better

[​IMG]

Frets need a good dress/level and there are a few chips in the black edges of the headstock that need toughing up/drip filling but i'll get on to that once the clears on and venting

Sorry about the pic dump but this has been in progress for 2 weeks so.....and sorry if the last neo pink shot blinds anyone,maybe i should stick it behind a spoiler tag ;)

Laters
    Omzig

prlgmnr, neun Arme, Genocyber and 3 others like this.
  2. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Nice restore/mod! What the heck is that other lavendar/pink body in the background??

3. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Thx EE,and please don't ask about the other pink body ;)....no i just jest,That is a Maverick F3,which was originally red and pretty beat (back was a bit of mess,dents and scratches and it looked like someone had tried a relic effect on the bellycut)...its been stripped and refinished twice already first i had issues with the plastikote reacting with the sealer/primer id used,so that got stripped then i had problem with plastikote's own clearcoat coming off as a powder when i started to level it,3rd time lucky its been refinished from top to bottom in another brand and has a few more weeks to vent before i flat it off,here's a pic of it before i stripped it,Great guitars but they never made it to the states,very Ibanez like,some ppl hate the side on knobs but i think there pretty cool.

[​IMG]

smokiekouki likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

5. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Fascinating! Thx!