Hipshot contour 7 tremelos

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by penguin_316, Aug 5, 2018.

1. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

has anyone tried the hip shot countour trems? If so, how did you feel they functioned as well as held tuning? I’m looking for a term similar to even petrucci models but don’t want another JP.

2. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

Yes, I'm wondering about this as well, because I, too, plan to switch to the Hipshot trem.

WintermintP

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's a pretty simple unit, well made.

Tuning stability doesn't come from the trem itself, especially on a unit like this. Stability is going to come from the setup, and how well the nut is cut.

It also depends on how it's installed and what kind of effects you want out of it.

Jonathan20022 likes this.
  4. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

^^ You need a well lubricated nut/studs and a proper setup to get the most out of it. But it does as much as any non-locking floating trem, I didn't like the feel of it when in use on my 060 SSS. It feels like a vintage trem in terms of actual smoothness and movement, even with a longer stock bar.

The Gotoh 510 is my favorite compromise between every one of these style trems I've tried, the JP trem is solid too.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yeah, it's so compact that you don't get as much leverage, so it can feel a little stiff in some setups. This is amplified if it's a strict dive-only setup and is decked on the top with a lot of spring tension.

But, it's slim pickings as far as quality 7-string non-locking trems.

6. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

It’s fine. I’m too thickheaded to notice differences between leverage between different trems. It’s well made and functions fine as long as the nut is well cut.

7. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

I have one and use it pretty heavily like I would a Floyd. Don't have any issues with it and it sounds good, comfortable under the hand. I like that the bar socket is adjustable so you can get it as tight as you want it and it'll stay that way. Definitely wish all trems had that function.

It's been on my main guitar since about 2011 or something and no signs of wear on the finish or the knife edges.

Possibly a bit on the expensive side, then again I'm in the EU.

8. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

These all sound good, I was actually going to get a headless Kiesel zues model. Thinking of going 25.5” with the hipshot trem. I’ve wanted to build myself a guitar in the past with the contour trem as well, but I just don’t have the time anymore. I figured it was pretty good, just wanted real world opinions. Thanks guys...

9. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Cool man. I’m starting to think about getting a Kiesel 8 with the Hipshot because it’s in some ways the cheapest/easiest way into a well-made 8-string tremolo.

Let us know how it goes!