Hipshot bridge not perpendicular on Shecter KM-7

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Althos, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Althos

Althos SS.org Regular

Hi, I recently realized that the hipshot bridge wasn't perpendicular to the neck (see picture), and while it seems like it doesn't affect playability and the strings still seem to have normal alignement and spacing, but I was wondering if it was something that could be fixed, and if yes, how expensive it would be, or if there was any risk letting it stay like that

Thanks a lot for your help !

Attached Files:

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You'd be better off returning it via warranty as a "manufacturing defect" than actually fixing it. If it bothers you that much.

3. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS I’m a grown ass man

I’d measure from the nut to the edge of the bridge on both sides to check if that’s actually it. I think the pickup route might be what’s crooked

4. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS I’m a grown ass man

But yes, return it

5. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Sometimes when you screw something down with the first screw, it can twist a little bit, and while the next screw can still be driven in, the items might end up slightly crooked. There's a slim chance you might be able to unscrew the bridge, re-align it, then carefully screw it back down, going back and forth between the screws slightly tightening each one a little more each time until it's fully seated...however, since the bridge's screw holes are counter-sunk, which adds a bit of self-alignment when the taper-headed screws are driven, it's unlikely to have much of an effect...and unless you are very confident on your screw-driving ability to not mash up the screw heads (since it's black screws, you'll see silver anywhere you mar the screw head from using a screwdriver that's juuuust not quite the right size, or a posidrive screwdriver, or not pressing down hard enough and the screwdriver tip pops out and spins a bit, etc.

Question: are you positive it's the bridge that's crooked and not the pickup cavity route? Not saying that would make it any easier to fix, but just curious.

Mathemagician and odibrom like this.
  6. odibrom

odibrom .

The Bridge PICKUP looks a little slanted/rotated towards the bridge at the bass side... may be of the pic's perspective...

7. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Bass Player in Exile

Looks to me more like the bridge pickup route is slightly out-of-square.

I wouldn't bother returning it for that, but I wouldn't blame you if you did.

8. Althos

Althos SS.org Regular

Thanks for your replies, sadly, it's a second hand guitar, so returning it isn't an option, but it doesn't seem to affect playability, I'm just worried that it could cause issues down the road

I don't think the pickup cavities are crooked, you can see the string holes are not perfectly aligned with the bridge either

9. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Bass Player in Exile

If it plays well now, I don't see any reason it'll stop playing well later on.

10. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

Agree that it looks like bridge pickup route is ever so slightly off. But no, wouldn't affect play ability. I wouldn't worry about it, just shred harder so you don't draw attention to that :)

11. Knarbens

Knarbens Montag Custom Guitars