Highly Contagious AIDS-Like Disease Spreading in China

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by highlordmugfug, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highlordmugfug

highlordmugfug themuthaphukkindeath

2. Guitarman700

Guitarman700 SS.org Regular

Fuck. FUCK.

3. Origin

Origin Rainbow In The Dark

Not much reason to panic yet to me; if I understand correctly the CDC/other groups are just recently starting to go hardcore on figuring out what the hell it is and how to kill it, and like the article said, all they've really tested for is HIV. Those guys do not fuck around. I wouldn't doubt there'd be leaps and bounds on it relatively soon.

Still horrible what's happening to them of course. :(

EDIT: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8505998.stm
    This article posits a very strange and kind of implausible explanation. I wouldn't doubt that screwing with facts like that would happen in China, but the whole of it kind of makes no goddamn sense. :lol: If I can pick and choose sections though, it could also be considered that information has been censored or skewed until hopefully in the near future when international organizations get deeper into the problem.

4. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

[​IMG]
    Whatever is happening to them is horrible, whether it is only mental or caused by an actual virus. However I don't think there is reason to panic. I believe they haven't actually witnessed the "virus" being transmitted and only have claims from those affected who say it has spread to their families. If it can be confirmed that it actually has spread to their families I'd be more concerned.

5. silentrage

silentrage The DeRailer

Hmm, some thoughts.
    1. All that polluted air finally caught up with them! :
    Seriously though,
    1. The chinese government tends to play-down any potentially de-stablizing information, so it may be worse than is being reported.
    2. The way this virus infects sounds familiar to hepatitis, which is very prevalent in developed nations in asia. I only know about it because I have it, you're not supposed to use the same utensils or pass body fluids to anyone, but most people have gotten their hep a/b shots. So this may be a mutated strain of hepatitis?
    3. If infection is so easy, could it be communicable through the air? If that was the case things might get pretty ugly.
    4. Some experts diagnosed patients with "aids-phobia"... fucking seriously?

6. AK DRAGON

AK DRAGON Guitar Popcicle

This may not bide to well with the world as a whole. From what little information we know about this new 'superbug', I'll call it, we all may be in deep trouble. Especially how the Chinese media likes to 'downplay' events such as this.

BBC China's mystery HIV-like disease may be all in the mind

Any bodily fluid contact? In the mind? Then explain why a 2yr old thinks they have it?

7. silentrage

silentrage The DeRailer

"They suspect extreme guilt or anxiety about an act the men are ashamed of - sex with a prostitute - is affecting their immune systems, making them feel ill."

And these people call themselves doctors, that is close to religious dogma, the kind of bullshit they're flinging is so obvious as to make me doubt that they're sincerely trying to cover it up, it's almost as if they're doing this purposely to make people doubt them? Or are they really that incompetent? God...

But... on the off chance that it is some kind of a mental disorder, then a 2 year old having it would mean it operates without the involvement of guilt, unless that 2 year old had been fucking around more than he should. However I'm gonna say that possibility is a little fringe-y.

8. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Wow... an epidemic which has barely registered a blip on the major news services!

I'm seeing a huge amount of tiny little bursts, but CNN/BBC/etc. have yet to have put up any major facts. How did Epoch manage to find so many sources?

What I found most frustrating about the Epoch reporting was the lack of followup and pitctures. If the little girl seriously had blood spotting, that would have made a great photo, and a child wouldn't/couldn't fake such symptoms.

Just like all the UFO/Atlantis/"You Gotta Believe Me!" threads, I'll wait until there are a few more facts on the table before I start speculating on how probable this is....

----

Edit: I just reread the initial story. This guy dropped from 181 to 115. His wife and child developed the same symptoms three months later... which would place their having being ill at February 2009. It's now 2 years on. Where are the wife and daughter?

The article also talks about the Department of Health of Guangdong Province. They do have a website, but I'm not seeing a huge investigation on it regarding an epidemic or even such a virus. They do have some pretty amazing statistics and stories on it, and if they're willing to talk about the death rate from tuberculosis, I don't think they'll be holding back on something of this nature.

This story, which will need machine translation if you don't read Chinese, contains the following:

"The responsible person said that the Ministry of Health had announced the preliminary findings of mainly psychogenic reaction, hysteria caused by psychological factors, but the results were "patients" of the question, because they always feel symptoms."

I don't know about you all, but this particular citizen of the world thinks that anthropomorphic global warming is more of a problem. Of course, that's if you're looking for something you can do something about....

9. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

Considering bird flu and swine flu were supposed to be this horrific epidemic and barely anything happened, I don't tend to get too into news stories like this anymore.

10. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins

The problem with H5N1 and other virulent pathogens is in how the media misportrayed it. They made it seem like the end-of-days was here. These diseases, much like E.M.P. or megaquakes, are possible (and sometimes statistically probable), but its all about emergency preparedness and it shouldnt be about scaring the public.

One of the books I read... I think it was Great Influenza but they're all blending together (I can check my library when I get home if anyone actually cares)... the writer was talking about how when he went through med school they never even talked about the 1918 flu and this was in the 50/60's. His parents that lived through it never talked about it. When he found out, he had no idea there was a recent pandemic just 50 years ago. The point is, it wasnt that long ago that something so horrific happened that infected a 1/2 billion and killed off nearly 100 million people. I've attended a lecture by Dr Laurie Garrett (author of Coming Plague... phenomenal book)... and she talks about the narrowly averted disasters and how we've pretty much created are own pathogenic mess through mismanagement of drugs/treatments, the crowding of population centers/megacities, and ineffective policies.

So its kind of like the boy who cries wolf here. Just because we've rolled the dice and it hasn't happened doesn't mean that it won't... and our infrastructure is woefully unprepared for a biological disaster... but the media reports it like 'it was supposed to happen' and didnt...

And seriously... google Lesch-Nyhan syndrome... that was the worst thing I ever studied. I remember being on the train and a lady made me close my pathology book. I'm being nice and not including the pic with this post! ;)

11. vampiregenocide

I don't doubt disease being an ever present danger to mankind, but the fact is the media overreacts to things like this and to be honest a lot of doctors don't help. I know here when we had the swine flu 'epidemic' a lot of doctors actually diagnosed swine flu over the phone to patients without seeing them, purely to deal with the huge amount of patients coming in reporting similar symptoms. Many of these weren't swine flu at all, and some of them were more serious cases that went unnoticed because it was not dealt with properly.

12. highlordmugfug

^^USmarine75:
    Yeah, the Great Influeza of 1918 was serious fucking business. Liquefying peoples lungs (seriously) and all sorts of other fun. Pretty sure the main reason it was so bad was because of it causing Cytokine Storms in a large number of people that had it. U took a class on Infectious Diseases a few semesters ago and I had to give a presentation on it.

13. GazPots

GazPots Is A Complete Idiot.

Were we all not meant to have died from bird flu and swine flu by now? :lol:

14. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

The Epoch Times tends to overplay the whole "THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT IS EVIL AND HIDING THINGS FROM YOU/HARVESTING YOUR ORGANS/GIVING YOU AIDS" line. Even other Chinese dissidents think they're batshit crazy. Not a particularly credible source for news concerning China, especially considering it's essentially the mouthpiece for Falun Gong. Asking the Epoch Times to be objective about the PRC is like asking Fox News to give you fair and balanced assessment of a Democrat's presidency. If Democrats had shot Bill O'Reilly, sent Glenn Beck to a work camp and prosecuted anyone who's ever watched his show.

That doesn't sound like the worst idea in the world...

They're not always wrong, and the PRC is run by a rather shady and unaccountable group of aging politicos, but they're frequently a million miles off the mark and a broken clock is right twice a day.

15. vampiregenocide

I got swine flu, it is the most ill I've ever felt, but still wasn't much.

16. ArkaneDemon

ArkaneDemon SS.org Regular

I got it too, and I was stuck in bed for about nine days. It was shitty but I listened to Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da in its entirety thirteen times so it was sort of worth it.

17. 5656130

5656130 I AM AHAB!!!!

If this story is true there's nothing on the CDC website about it.

18. AK DRAGON

AK DRAGON Guitar Popcicle

Maybe someone possibly re gift wrapping an April Fools Joke?

19. highlordmugfug

Created: Mar 30, 2011

Nope.

20. vampiregenocide

Ah its bullshit. Unless it's the T virus and it's at my window, I don't care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.