Higher voltage preamp pedal

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by LiveOVErdrive, Jan 25, 2018.

1. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

So I'm looking for a preamp to use with my organ, actually, that can add some grit to my signal and have a large enough output signal to drive my Leslie (which is pretty low gain).

Basically I want a vintage overdrive type of sound with a higher output level than a 9v pedal can give you. My boss overdrive is a little too quiet. I could run it over voltage but that might hurt it.

Any (inexpensive) options? I'm not opposed to a rack preamp or whatever but is love to keep it in a 100usd budget.

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Tronographic Rusty Box. It's based on an old Traynor SS amp, and runs on either 24v - 40v DC. I don't remember exactly, but it's significantly higher than 9v.

4. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

MXR 10 band EQ.

5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The EQ wouldn't do overdrive, right? Are you just suggesting I use it as a level shifter after my OD pedal?

I'm also eyeing an ocd - apparently it can run at 18v which would probably do it. A joyo clone of it might do the trick too but it isn't technically rated for that.

Supposedly a boss sd1 can do 18v without dying too, though it isn't rated for it. I might try that since I've got one sitting around.

Gotta get that deep purple grind!
    (though he didn't use a Leslie, he just used a Marshall stack. But still)

6. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Pop it open and check the voltage rating on the electrolytic capacitors, it should be written on the side of each one. Anything over 18 volts and you’ll be fine. All the other parts are good past 18 volts.

7. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Good call. I've also heard some of these circuits have zeners across the power to prevent overvoltage, so I'd need to check for and snip those if so.

I've also got the parts lying around such that I could just knock together a quick jfet-based bassman clone or similar. Don't know why I didn't think of that before.

8. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Here is the Boss at 9v. It works alright actually. Definitely could use more volume though.