High on Fire wins a grammy

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Was very surprised that Trivium didn't win it to be honest. Betrayer is a dope track.

Mathemagician likes this.
  2. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

The newest HoF album wasn't as good as Luminiferous to me, but I'm glad the entire roster this year was relevant/contemporary bands. Would have been happy with any of the nominees winning.

aesthyrian likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pickup hoarder

If we're going purely based on the tracks that got nominated, I'd give it to BTBAM. Their last two albums have been insanely good, and I say that as someone that's always been kind of lukewarm about BTBAM in the past. I'm just glad High on Fire won since they've put out some killer albums in the past and got completely snubbed for nominations *cough* snakes for the divine and Luminiferous *cough*

4. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I haven't listened to BTBAM apart from that wicked down-tuned cover of Blackened they did a few years ago so can't comment on them too much. Just given that line-up I would have thought Trivium to be the popular pick.

5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I’ve literally never heard of them until this thread. If the GRAMMIES have heard of them, and I haven’t, how out of touch must I be? :lol:

Reading their wiki page, I’m guessing it’s because I’m not into that sort of metal, but given that Albini produced them, and they’ve toured with some big names, and they live in my neck of the woods, I’m kind of surprised I’m this ignorant.

6. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Thank God... at least it was them or Trivium.

7. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

good for them, but HoF's best albums came out more than a decade ago.

Blessed Black Wings and Death is This Communion imo.

dhgrind likes this.
  8. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Kurt Ballou produced the record that won the Grammy.

Im not really surprised HOF won out of the acts nominated. Its what a regular person would think of as metal without having too much screaming or overly crazy guitar work other than a traditional solo. It also doesn't hurt that Matt Pike sounds a little like Lemmy. The Deafheaven song is an 11 minute epic that doesn't feel particularly 'metal.' The BTBAM song is polished and proggy with little snippets of metal sprinkled in. To a typical member of the academy it would sound like a bunch of parts just thrown together/bad songwriting. The Trivium song sounds extremely dated. The Underoath song is maybe too diet-noisy for the academy and that track has a bunch of weird stuff going on.

AdenM and Hollowway like this.
  9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've only heard of this band because we opened for them once. :lol:

I'm always a little surprised when I'm reminded that any sort of official-sounding award ceremony includes metal at all. It almost kind of feels like a joke at the expense of the bands and fans of the genre.

Hollowway likes this.
  10. Hollowway

Yeah, almost like you DON'T want to win. "And the Governmental Award of Corporate Servitude goes to: The Clash!" Or maybe the award for Production and Sound Engineering going to a black metal band.

11. Hollowway

True. I mean, the Grammys are always going to be at least one step behind the boundaries musicians are pushing. There's probably a ton of classical and jazz stuff that is super out there and esoteric, and doesn't win anything either. I think it's nice that they recognize that metal exists, but IMO the who awards thing has kind of jumped the shark anyway. Maybe in the pre-internet days it made sense to do award shows, but these days not so much. What WOULD be cool is super geeky awards about the stuff that the average public doesn't know about (or care to know) about music and movies, and give some recognition to those guys. There's a little bit of it in the Oscars and Grammys, but it would be cool to do just all of the non-actor/director/producer stuff. I could get into that.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if the Grammys consider the metal category an afterthought. This was on the pre-show. Not even on the official live TV broadcast.

I also wouldn't be surprised if HoF won just because one of the higher-ups pulled their name out of a hat. Like, I imagine there was no effort in this choice. :lol:

13. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

i just watched HOF's acceptance speech. The theater was maybe...15% occupied. I would only imagine that the category would ever be televised again if someone huge was expected to win...like Jethro Tull.

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Honestly I find the idea of giving a metal band an award like this to not only defeat the point of metal in some ways, but there's no way it could possibly represent the state of all of "metal" at once. I really would have preferred they didn't.

15. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Only a small portion of any given awards show actually makes the telecast. There are grammies for best engineering on a childrens album and stuff like that and there is no chance people care enough to see that on TV. You just have to go look up the winners and find out more about them.