Hi All - Serial beginner here trying to get started with Metal!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by tapedex, Aug 17, 2017.

1. tapedex

tapedex SS.org Regular

Hi everyone! I've been playing guitar on-and-off for about 3 years; mostly "off" not as much "on". I started with the basic rock stuff, and quickly ended up down a blues rabbit-hole. I've been fighting the prog and neo-classical metal bugs for a while now, but now I've decided to fully embrace it.

No seven-string just yet, but in time. For now I'm doing what I can on a Tele Baja while I find the right 7-string for me.

At the same time, I'm also trying to learn some classical guitar as well as reading standard notation from Noad's book with an older nylon-string guitar of my wife's. I'm hoping that'll help with the metal stuff.

Anybody have any recommendations on where I can start with learning how to play metal? I tried "Shredding Bach" - but a couple of measure's into the first (easiest) song, I quickly found myself in over my head.

Thanks everyone!

P.S. - Can someone tell me why the rules thread is all crossed out? It says cross-posts are prohibited, but it's crossed out, along with all of the other rules. Thanks :)

2. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

How about starting with For Whom the Bell Tolls?
    Easy enough to jam, but enough parts in there to give you a decent right hand workout on the all downstroke technique & palm mutes. Good Metal needs a solid right hand rhythm

For leads like you mentioned you may as well go Yngwie. His stuff sounds great even at half speed

I also just started the Jason Richardson arpeggio program. It's 10 or 15 bucks & super valuable

tapedex likes this.
  3. tapedex

tapedex SS.org Regular

I can't thank you enough @crankyrayhanky! I got started with it via youtube immediately after work today :) I'm trying to stick to relatively strict alternate picking (a product of a bit of mandolin practice), so I haven't had too much right-hand struggle, but the left hand struggle is real. Historically, my power chords have been with my pink instead of my ring+pinky, i've been trying to change that here, not entirely sure why, just feels like it sounds better.

For the right hand, should I be trying to downstroke the majority of the song? Or should I be alternate picking wherever possible?

For the Yngqie stuff - it seems awfully intimidating on the surface - any specific recommendations on where to start - save for selling my soul to the devli?

Finally, on the Jason Richardson stuff - is this the right link? http://www.jasonrichardson.bigcartel.com/product/lesson-bundle ? The reviews here on sevenstring seem pretty positive.

4. crankyrayhanky

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    tapedex likes this.
  5. crankyrayhanky

tapedex likes this.
  6. Matthias Hornstein

Matthias Hornstein SS.org Regular

Welcome to the forum! Great to have you here

tapedex likes this.
  7. tapedex

tapedex SS.org Regular

Thanks for the links @crankyrayhanky ! I'm off to give them a try this evening :hbang:

And thanks for the warm welcome @Matthias Hornstein ! It's great to be here - and to finally be active :)

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  8. tapedex

tapedex SS.org Regular

Did you make these files @crankyrayhanky ? They're awesome! I'm putting the slower one to good use - I'll get to the faster one eventually - but this slower one is a pretty invaluable aid.

9. crankyrayhanky

I found the 440 clip online
    I made the slower clip using Sony Vegas
    It really helps work up the skills!

tapedex likes this.