Hey there!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Patri_MA_Ruiz, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Patri_MA_Ruiz

Patri_MA_Ruiz SS.org Regular

Hello everyone! My name is Patricia Martínez-Abarca Ruiz but I would highly prefer to be called Patri Grief. I've been playing guitar since I was 9 years old but there's still a whole guitar world to explore. That's why I'm here. :) It's so nice to meet you and I hope I'll learn tons from you guys.

pondman likes this.
  2. mikestamper

mikestamper Ended By Error

Hi, Patri, and be welcome again!! :D. You've started at a very young age! I started ten years older than you, and I always hoped to start younger. But there's still a long way forward! We're are all here to learn together! :)

3. Patri_MA_Ruiz

Indeed! I really think that even if I started young, I didn't really learnt as much as I should. When you're a kid you don't pay as much attention so I've lost a lot of time. I wouldn't consider myself "as good" even if it's been a lot of time playing. Anyway, I also believe that you always have to have something else to learn. :)

pondman likes this.
  4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Welcome!

Yeah, I came here years ago, because there were so many cool topics and it seemed like people here really knew their stuff. It's mostly different people here now, but the depth of knowledge hasn't changed, really, except for the massive setback when I joined.

Do you play seven string guitar? What sorts of guitars do you use? What sort of music do you play?

We have a lot of six, seven, and eight string players, a few 9+, and a smattering of bassists (the site long ago merged with an extended range guitar and bass site), drummers, vocalists, and even beyond. I'd feel confident saying that most of the general music taste here is a little biased toward metal and progressive music, but there is a diversity of tastes here as well: punk, rock, jazz, blues, country, traditional Bulgarian music, you name it.

Patri_MA_Ruiz likes this.
  5. Patri_MA_Ruiz

Hi Bostjan! Well I play 6-stringed guitars actually. My favourite genre is metal, mostly power symphonic metal, but I'm into anything that has a good quality! My band's name is Norwald: I invented a full fantasy world (own animals, plants and even minerals!) and I tell the stories of that place in music and various forms of art. I hope you will like it and I'll soon be releasing the first single. I had a demo on YouTube but we changed the singer due to the distance and also the solo there was badly recorded. Anyway feel free to give it a try if you want to! (I would post the song but the site doesn't allow me to post any link yet).
    I need a lot of help with marketing and everything because I don't really know how to drop it. I have various plans but I don't really know if they will work.
    Thank you for your interest! :)

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Thanks!

That graphic of the two dragons posturing to fight each other looks incredible!

Have you ever listened to "Aina?" It's also a sort of power symphonic metal project with plenty of world-building and stuff, even with it's own languages. Probably some people would think they were a little "cheesy," but I've always loved this sort of stuff. There was a band, years ago, called "Power Symphony" who were from Italy, IIRC, - female fronted symphonic power metal, but some of their material just didn't have the energy level I expected (maybe if it had been 20 bpm faster, I would have loved their material, though).

Was it just you and the singer? That's too bad, about the split, IMO, the singer sounds pretty good. I think I know what you mean about the solo, but it doesn't sound at all bad to me- it certainly fits the music. Are there a lot of musicians in your hometown? Maybe you could round out your lineup with bass and drums and maybe some keyboards.

Since you are looking for endorsements, I'll offer some unsolicited advice. I think you have some really cool ideas and a potential to come up with a really cool album moving forward with all of the world-building ideas in a sort of symphonic power metal context. When I googled your band name, I saw you had a website (looks good, BTW), a bandcamp, and a youtube. That's a good start, but it looks like not that much traffic there (still more than my band, though :) ). A key to really nailing the marketing end of being in a band is having dedicated bandmates. I would recommend seeking out some good talent to fill in your lineup and then employing them to get you some more support. Once you have a demo you're proud of (I'm only not assuming you are proud of this one because of your comments - but I think it'd certainly suffice), contact some college radio stations and establish a report with the students/staff running it. See if they'll play your demo, see if they'll interview you, see if they'll plug your concert appearances, etc. If nothing else, it might be a good way to get a few people at the university to notice your project.

That's just one angle to work, though. I don't know if you are playing any shows, but obviously, those would probably be a bigger draw with a full band than with a duo. You could also see if vloggers and bloggers would do interviews and talk about your music, but that's usually easier to push once you have some recorded works. In my case, I've had some pretty high profile reviews rip my stuff to shreds, but it gave me way more exposure than the smaller review sites that gave me kudos. Reviews, in general, are good for a project, I think.

Anyway, best of luck, and I'll keep an eye out for new releases from you.

Patri_MA_Ruiz likes this.
  7. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Cheers, Patricia, acho pijo :)

8. Patri_MA_Ruiz

Whoa. You just MADE MY DAY. I mean. I'm sometimes really insecure and posting on the Internet sometimes get me nervous (will I be good enough, wouldn't I?) and I never show my stuff so they wouldn't be flaming. But that's something I am working on, if I really want to make it!
    I actually also have more than a language and before everything was written in the "universal Norwald language" then later we changed that because nobody would ever understand. I'm writting a novel too. :)
    The line up is ready, I wish that girl was still with us but she's from California and we're from Spain. Anyway we're willing to be doing some collaborations and join again as soon as we can. I have some bandmates that really are commited but most of them don't know how to deal with it so pretty much I make up some "plan" and comment it with them to see if it's logical or good enough to put it on work. I really really really really am willing to do anything it takes and right now we're finishing our first single. The CD will come later but pretty much it's one of the Norwald stories.
    Thank you so much for your advice, I'll be re reading your post from time to time! :p