Help with sound dampening and acoustics

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by narad, Aug 10, 2018.

1. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Hi guys. So I'm hunting around Tokyo right now looking for a bigger apartment and my gear's going to arrive later this month. Basically like 7-8 amps, a 4x12, 2x12, 1x12 combo, monitors, etc. I actually don't play so loud, and I'm not trying to here, but I'd like to get things up to a usable volume, like maybe 1.5-2x daytime TV volume, so that's sort of the goal.

This is highly unorthodox for the tight confines of Tokyo living so it's really made the apartment search very difficult. I've tried to restrict the search to lofts / basements where I can control soundflow downward, and concrete construction to limit the ability of neighbors to hear.

So today I had a look at this place:

[​IMG]

Basement floor. Concrete. Ton of usable space for Tokyo. Questions now are:

1) Getting tons of echo down here of that bare concrete. How much of the wall do I have to foam up to cut that down?

2) I don't know so much about acoustics here but if I'm getting an echo then I'm assuming the wall is not absorbing those frequencies and they just bounce around until they dissipate. If that's the case, then the wall must be doing a pretty decent job of stopping my neighbors from hearing, right? At any rate, how thick of a concrete wall should this be to not worry about playing amps down here? And by playing amps down here I mean like with the volume in the 1-2 range.

I have a two notes torpedo so I can go to impulses and out through monitors, but I just feel like it still needs to get to a certain volume to be fun (like a little bit louder than a TV).

You pay a ton of fees renting here so it's a very costly mistake to find yourself trying to leave a place early.

2. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

About 50% of coverage and thick carpets should kill unwanted echoing enough. If walls are thick neighbours won't be hearing too much, and that kind of volume should be doable. And make sure you place speakers to shorter side of the wall, so that echoing from counter wall is reduced much as possible. I'm no expert in room acoustics, but that's what people pretty much usually do in their home studios.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Not much to add over Metrolopis, save that bass-trapping the corners is probably going to be more important in a room like that (concrete is pretty much going to reflect anything that hits it) than in most normal rooms, and I'd want to make sure I had a strategy to temporarily hang/affix either broadband trapping or at least some sort of acoustic foam to take the edge off high end flutter onto the concrete.

Other than that, that looks pretty spacious, from what little I know about Tokyo. :lol:

4. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Go to Sweetwater.com, get the free Auralex Room Analysis, source recommended materials elsewhere for cheaper. I did my studio for about $300 by finding materials on Ebay, vs the $1800 recommendations that Auralex had in mind, but placement by their recommendations of these pieces was transformational, along with using a room tuning plugin.

5. axxessdenied

axxessdenied :: 2077 ::

Do you want to treat for recording audio, mixing, both?
    Ideally you'll want your desk facing the narrower wall. Try not to have your speakers right up against the walls.
    Get bass traps in the corners. A cloud around your listening area (panels at the early reflection points and above your listening spot).
    You'll want to diffuse the sound behind you (having amps and cabs and stuff will help). You'll want additional panels behind your cabinets as well to help eat up any unwanted resonance.
    Carpet isn't really necessary on the floor. You don't have to worry about it too much as you don't want to deaden your environment too much.

The GIKAcoustics site has a great room planner and you can also email them with a budget to get a free quote and guide to plan out how to most effectively go about treating your area for your purposes.