Help with POD HD Pro and power amp live

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by thoughtpyotr, Jul 11, 2017.

1. thoughtpyotr

thoughtpyotr SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

So I recently bought a Matrix gt1000fx power amp going to my Orange PPC212. I use a POD HD Pro as a preamp. I'm having trouble with stage volume however.

Here are the 2 options I have for running my rig in mono:
    1. I can either do a line out (hot output) send from my Pod to the Matrix input A and output A.
    2. Or I can do amp out (low output) send from my Pod to the Matrix input A and output bridged
    I prefer the second option but I am scared because the Bridged Matrix at 16 ohms is something crazy like 650 Watts RMS; where as my Orange is a mere 120 Watts. I don't want to damage my baby. I can reach the same volume with the first option but the 2nd options sounds so much better at higher volumes.

Also isn't better gain staging to have a lower signal going into my Power Amp than a hotter signal?

One last question, the level indicator lights on the Matrix, are they reflective of the signal level going to my cab or coming from my POD?

2. BenHughesDS

BenHughesDS Divine Solace

Regarding your question about the lights, perhaps the below link will help;

http://uk.matrixamplification.com/faq/technical-product-guides.html

Also, just because the amp is capable of delivering 650 watts doesn't mean that it will be doing that constantly. I use the GT1600FX through a Zilla 2x12 at gig volumes - just don't turn the Matrix's volume control to full - in fact a lot of people set their power amp's volume control to a fixed level and use the output control on their preamp to control the volume, reducing the risk of overloading the speakers.

thoughtpyotr likes this.
  3. thoughtpyotr

thoughtpyotr SS.org Regular

This is great exactly what I needed. I'll try messing with the attenuators too, that is a good safegaurd.

One more thing. Is the volume the best indicator for how loud I am pushing my cab? Or can I potentially damage my cab at lower volumes because I'm using bridge mode with higher output wattage?

4. ElectricEelChair

ElectricEelChair SS.org Regular

I'd hate to hijack this thread but I also have a pod hd pro and am LOOKING for a good power amp on a budget. I have a 320W blackstar 4x12. any recommendations? Does the 1000W+ power work well as you guys have found?