Help with my 6505 tube screamer sonic maximizer setup, tone?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Austinmandrell, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Austinmandrell

Austinmandrell SS.org Regular

So my rig consist of my guitar ltd ec1000 or mh350nt which both have an emg81 in the bridge which goes through my boss bcb-60 board input out the send to my boss tuner to my boss ns-2 out the send to my ibanez ts-9 back to the return in the ns-2 out the output to my dd-7 to the return on my bcb-60 board out the output of that to my sonic maximizer 882i to my high gain on my 6505. I'm running 16 ohms to 16 ohms on my marshall lead 1960a 4x12. Anyways my other guitarist in my band has had the 482i for about 6 months & it sounds killer. He has a similar rig, 5150 & orange 2x12 with Maxon od808, ISP decimator & dd3. I decided to get the 882i just recently & my levels don't play out like his do, his reach +10 & mine reach 0. I have my pre & post gain at 5 & he has his at around 3 for both so I have no clue how his is so much louder. I've been trying a few different things. I'm not too sure what it is as I'm not too much of a guitar tech sound wiz. Maybe it's his rig? He doesn't know. A few things I've been thinking is maybe the effects loop will help? I don't really understand how to run it with my board & neither does my other guitarist. Also I'm not too sure what tubes are on my amp head after it was last changed, I'm gonna replace them with 6l6's & 12ax7's here very soon, I'm thinking JJ tubes or groove tubes maybe? And which exact set would you recommend being ideal for my amp head setup? I'm gonna upgrade to a v30 loaded 4x12 or 2x12 probably orange, avatar or Mesa. Also I only have a few long boss cables & the rest are cheaper cables, what are some top of the line affordable cables for my board & rack mount set up, even shorter xlr cables I can use for my studio set up at home? Anything you can do to help would be appreciated as far as tone, signal flow tips for the both of us! Sorry for this being so long by the way, I just feel if I were to leave out some details I might not find out the exact information I'm looking for. Thanks & cheers :)

2. Ghost40

Ghost40 Dude Contributor

First of all, you guys don't have the same rig. Not even close with those speaker cabinets. The Orange has V30s, hence alot more mid range. The marshall 1960 (assuming the stock speakers are in there) are the G12T's, and due to the cabinet being a 4x12, tends to have a lot more low-end. So this is going to factor a lot in the perceived volume, especially playing in a band. Adding the sonic maximizer is going to scoop your sound even more.

Its been my experience that the sonic maximizers sound great in the bedroom, but suck in a band. Besides, those are pretty high gain heads, should be able to scoop with the eq.

General thinking about the tube screamers, if you want to cut the low end, run it in front of the amp. If you want a volume boost, throw it in the effects loop (between the pre and power section).

cables are not going to make much of a difference.

If you truly want to troubleshoot, to find out if it is a volume issue with the head, start by running straight to the amp. Then add everything one by one. If you find there is still a volume issue going straight into the amp, maybe its time to replace the tubes. Both of those amps are really loud. You can always swap heads with you guitars to see if it persists.

Personally, i'd put my money on the different cabs or the maximizer.

3. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

Leave the sonic maximizer in the bedroom and add mids!

4. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Celestion t75 in the Marshall 1960a = 97 dB + less perceived mid range
    Celestion v30 in the Orange 2x12 = 100 dB + more perceived mid range

V30's are a bit louder.

I'd ditch the sonic minimizer.

5. Austinmandrell

Austinmandrell SS.org Regular

Thanks for the tips guys! It is much appreciated, I have a few pictures I just took here after I took this guy's advice from ug. I'm definitely gonna invest in a cab with v30's & probably a better noise gate & I believe for the most part I'll be good. But in all honesty I'll probably never be good, the never ending search for the perfect tone is for real. Anyways, any tips on my tone or signal chain?

Attached Files: