Help with amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Proffa3, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Proffa3

Proffa3 SS.org Regular

Hi, im going to buy evh 5150 iii 50w. I need help because im not sure if its too loud or not. I play with medium and pretty low volumes, I've heard that 5150 can keep its sound in low volumes but how low volumes it can produce. And is boss ns 2 good noise gate to cut the fuzz and hiss away? Im buying the evh 2x12 cabinet with it. And one more question... If i play like in drop a or drop g does the amp survive the very low tunings? I play at home so i cant play very loud.

2. Proffa3

Proffa3 SS.org Regular

And every answer is valuable

3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I remember a thread on a different forum way back, not long after the 5150 III came out, a guy recorded a metal clip mic'd up at really low volume and I was blown away how good it sounded that low down.

I can't remember exactly how quiet it was, but it was very low. As in, you wouldn't bother anyone, low.

At the end of the day, a low volume amp will never sound as 'good' as a high volume amp, if not due to speaker movement or poweramp compression, but because of our ears- we hear loud sounds differently than quiet sounds (fletcher-Munson curve). Even my axe fx II sounds way better loud than it does really quiet.

But as far as tube amps that sound good quiet, the 5150 III seems to have a good reputation.

4. Proffa3

Proffa3 SS.org Regular

Great, thanks for the answer that only makes my choice more absolute to buy 5150 iii, do you know about the background fuzz/hiss and can i get it away or more silent with noise gate pedal?

5. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

I just had the chance last week to play a Schecter C-1 Apocalypse on a 5153 50 watt through the matching EVH 2x12 at GC for about an hour. I was pretty impressed with the tones I was getting.

I've heard these amps can sound really good at low volume, even tv volumes, and now I can say from experience that that is indeed true. Of course, as with all tube amps, it sounded even better cranked up a bit, but still.

And I would definitely have to use a noise gate as even at tv volumes it had some decent hiss/hum, but that's to be expected with a lot of amps anyway so no big deal there.

Pretty bad ass I have to say. Being capable of quality low volume tones is definitely something I look for in amps. I'd own one of these.

6. Proffa3

Proffa3 SS.org Regular

Thank you, does the noise gate cut the fuzz/hiss away completely or just lower the sound of it? And when you tested it could you get even lower than tv volumes?

7. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

I used to own this amp, as well as the matching 2x12. I sold It not long after buying it. It sounds great at lower volumes, so no worries there. If you're worried about this noise/hiss, put a 5751 in V1. It really cleans things up.

8. Proffa3

Proffa3 SS.org Regular

Thank you, what about the boss ns-2 noise gate? It looks like the easiest way?

9. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

I didn't try one with this particular amp, but a noise gate should completely remove the fuzz/hiss.

I recommend an ISP Decimator. NS-2 isn't bad either, but I noticed a bit of tone suck compared to the Isp. YMMV.

You could get a tone good enough to play with at really low volume and not disturb someone sleeping else in the next room.

10. Proffa3

Proffa3 SS.org Regular

Okay then if someone can sleep in next room its perfect and i will look to ISP thank you :)

11. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I had one for a while. Pretty great amp and shoulda rolled some different tubes to help tame it. Blue channel boosted with an overdrive was fantastic, main thing I missed about it. It cut like you wouldn't believe, midi was handy. Traded it for an MTS amp to mess with that setup and still using it. Only thing I could say partially negative was the excessive amount of presence it had. I went back and forth with my Peavey Ultra and enjoyed the Ultra more most times due to the big iron girth of it. That and the red channel even unboosted had to have the gain so low it kinda thinned it out. That's where the 5751 in v4 comes in. Don't recommend v30's with it. To sharp of an amp already. Guess that's why its paired with Greenbacks and Heritage speakers. Consider owning another and doing the full round off Kruse mods to it. But I can get those tones thru MTS so not really necessary.

12. sevenfoxes

I'm not a big Boss fan. The ISP decimator is the way to go!

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  13. Proffa3

Proffa3 SS.org Regular

The isp decimator pedal V-II? Is that the one and how do i use it, i have never touched noise gate pedal before so im kind of beginner with these

14. sevenfoxes

I would just get whichever is the cheapest. From my understanding, they are all pretty effective. What you want to do is plug an instrument cable from the input on the pedal to the Send on your fx loop. Then do the same going from the pedal's output to the Return of the fx loop. Adjust the knob on the pedal accordingly. In most cases, you'll want the noise gate to be the last pedal in your chain.

15. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

^Not the first? If you push a gate with an overdrive its never gonna close. I learned that running it the the loop on the way to my amps input in 4cm with my GSP 1101. Was getting a hot signal all the time, so put it out front, then in a loop switcher. Way better.

16. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I love my 5153 50w and would definitely recommend it in this case. It holds up really well with low tunings, high gain, bedroom volumes, and any combination of these. I've also experimented with a 5751 in V1 and V4 and liked the results, but ultimately preferred the combination of an EHX 12AX7 in V1, Sovtek in V2/V3, and a 5751 in V4. The stock JJ 12AX7 setup can get a bit mushy/dark IMO, and the EHX/Sovtek alleviate some of this while retaining great range of gain.

As far as noise reduction, the Decimator II has yet to be matched by any other gate/gates I've owned or tried, including the Boss NS-2, MXR Smart Gate, Decimator version 1, and DBX 266XL. If you're only playing at low volume, you probably won't *need* to worry about a second gate or 4 cable connectivity from a gate like the NS-2 offers to take care of hiss from the preamp. Just the one Decimator II in front of the amp will be enough for most situations IMO.

17. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

I would put the Decimator in front of the amp to eliminate any noise coming from pickups and other pedals so that you're sending a clean signal into the preamp and not amplifying any unnecessary noise.