Help with a blog!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by buffa d, Dec 29, 2016.

1. buffa d

buffa d SS.org Regular

Hi everyone!

I am starting a blog about health and exercise and I'd like some help with my own niche since this field is littered with lifestyle/fitness bloggers. And my focus is definitely not in sharing my breakfast with the rest of the world.

The purpose of the blog is to provide both up-to-date information of health and sports trends and shed some light on modern misconceptions regarding a healthy lifestyle. In all of my articles I will try have an honest and open voice to provide the reader a possibility to create their own opinion on the subject.

But here is the problem, It does not sound media-sexy and the content can easily sound too scientific. Any pointers?

Thanks!

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Were you significantly overweight and are now much less overweight? That transition tends to play exceptionally well on IG, FB, etc. Surprisingly, those at a normal weight and get fit get less traction than those who are still heavy, but much less heavy than they used to be.

3. buffa d

buffa d SS.org Regular

Neither actually.
    I've been in good shape my whole life. But like I said, I am not trying to do like a transformation blog or anything.

It would mostly be debunking some myths that people read somewhere else on the internet. There is a LOT of false information and self-made gurus out there.

4. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Promote though social media. I had a blog that I let die due to being way too busy and overwhelmed to keep up with the post frequency, and as of now I'd rather just train and document it personally. But use IG, Twitter, and Facebook to market your blog, use hashtags on everything, and promote why your blog is better than the rest. Give readers a reason to choose your blog over someone else's. And if you're going to try debunking myths, you need to have credentials and valid, tested research to back your claims. Anyone can debunk broscience, because most of it is obviously false. But if you're going to dive into why it is false, make sure you have good evidence discussing why, and what the alternative is. Credibility is what will make it a good blog. Also, check out some of Tim Ferriss' writing and podcasts on marketing and handling an increased workload in digital media.

5. buffa d

buffa d SS.org Regular

Hey thanks a lot! I'll definitely have to check him out.
    The main is definitely to back up the claims through scientific analysis and stay away from fads and bro-science.

Happy new year!

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

:2c:

Ask yourself what the goal is. If you goal is to put useful, helpful information out there, then "media-sexy" is meaningless and scientific would be wonderful. There's so much "sexy" sounding pseudo-science out there in regards to health and fitness that anyone who is legitimately concerned about their health will appreciate the info more than the hook. I'm saying this as someone who has lost a bunch of weight and has actively searched for health and fitness information online over the past year. So much nonsense out there.

If, on the other hand, your goal is to "get traction" and make money, then there's lots of advice out there on how to market a website and a brand. There are examples and articles on how to monetize sites all over the place. Just pick a business model and run with it. It's not super difficult to put together a blog-format website. Buy some web hosting, install wordpress or something, customize a bit, add some ads, and just start making some content.

7. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

All you'd have to do is suck up to 1 of the hundreds of fake supplement companies, and you're in!

Really though, what is your goal? I've pursued fitness as a lifestyle for the last 10 or so years. If your goal is to write a blog post that is scientific, great, but know that avenue isn't going to gain you 10,000 subscribers or readers; that's pretty niche. From my experience, the people that are most successful in the fitness industry are the ones that pursue all sorts of social avenues (YouTube, IG, Snapchat, FB) and don't constantly try and pitch you fake supplements. People like Merijn of Student Asthetics, Igor of Virtruvian Physique, and Mike Vacanti are all real FK'in people that speak the truth with scientific backed information, and most importantly they are natural. 95% of the fitness industry is a big fk'ing lie, and a lot of other people on YouTube and IG (whatever) are promoting supplements and saying that is why they have gained X amount of muscle and lost X amount of body fat, when in reality, they are taking anabolics. So, my point of this whole thing is: 1. Pursue any avenue you can, and 2. Don't be fake in the most pretentious industry there is.

8. buffa d

buffa d SS.org Regular

Thanks guys for the responses! I've actually been battling with the idea of who exactly to market it to. I know my niche is not the easiest way to get subscribers for sure. I feel like I have a few reasons to why I am doing this though.
    1) I want to constantly learn, progress and be better at my own profession
    2) Show my interest in the field. Almost like a business card/portfolio of my own knowledge
    3) Put some actual scientific-based knowledge out there since there is a lot of BS in the field.

But right now Im still trying to zero in on what to write about. It's ranging from nutrition to physical performance at the moment. I guess I could just keep it motivating for myself and write about my own interests.

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've made an observation a while ago about fitness websites and blog, etc. It seems like whenever you try to get an idea of "what should this look like" or "what should this experience be", outside of pictures of muscle-bound dudes, it seems like there's more discussion of the process and real-world experience for women than there is for men, which is something that surprised me. Something like, if you google "should x thing be happening when I've lost weight", it's almost always a womens health site having that conversation. Or, there's no site in existence right now that shows what men should look like at different BMI or fat % levels above what would be considered fit already. There's no pictures of what 100lbs of weight loss looks like on a dude. Lots of those things out there for women, but every site about men is always pictures of muscly triangle shaped bro-dudes. Women seem to want to help regular women out. Men just want to achieve ALL THE MUSCLES and there's no info out there to help out the average non-muscly guy.

10. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

More people write blogs than read them; and, if I'm reading the original post correctly, second-guessing everything you're doing with regard to how it may be received in the oversaturated market seems like the quickest way to suck the enjoyment out of such creative endeavors.

For the sake of your mental health, I hope your passion for the subject carries you wherever you feel you need to be.

11. buffa d

buffa d SS.org Regular

Both very valid points. I guess the beauty standards are just that different for men and women. Luckily that is really never been in my interest to write about.

It is true that second guessing would suck the fun out of it for sure. Actually now I've mostly written about stuff that I personally find interesting whether it is about performance, rest or nutrition.

If the focus is in the reader and not in myself it'll just get draining and eventually boring. I mean just today I wrote 700 words about how the birth month has a big effect in athletic performance. And it came really easy too!