Help to choose between bass and extended range guitare

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by thanatos, Mar 18, 2010.

1. thanatos

thanatos SS.org Regular

Hi !
    i'll ask some favor because i just can't make my choice.
    I've played the bass when i was a teenage in several numetal/hxc bands than i turn to electronic music.
    But now i listening a lot of metal like i used to so i want to put some metal in my music.
    I want to keep it focused in the low frequency and with hard synthetic rythm in your face
    My problem is a just can't choose between extended range guitar (8 strings) or bass guitar as the main instrument
    with guitar i could probably make more complex melodical stuff and dissonant chord i like (dimished 2nd) but will probably need to had a synthetic bass beneath to have my focus on low frequency : do you think a 8 strings could work without bass ?
    With bass it'll be allready in the good frequency range and i think i could play tracks faster. i've allready play the bass so i think i could learn back quickly. but my problem is do you think a bass with some effect could fill up the spectrum completetly ?

i just don't know it's really hard to make a choice ...
    feel free to comment !

2. Winspear

Winspear EtherealEntity Vendor

I feel for what you have decided you want, bass is more appropriate. Extended range bass. That in my opinion can fill up the spectrum very well, whereas I don't think extended range guitar does apart from jazzy clean chord/solo stuff with no other instruments.

I definately say pick up a 6 or 7 stringed bass :)

3. Wolfv11

Wolfv11 SS.org Regular

Find out if a local music store has an 8 string in stock that you can try.

But for what you described, a 6 string bass would give you what you want. If your focus is MORE towards accurate low frequency, a bass is what you need.

4. ivancic1al

ivancic1al Probrem?

For what you described, 6 string bass > 8 string guitar.

5. thanatos

thanatos SS.org Regular

i think a 6 strings bass would be appropriate for my project. i've a 5 strings bass but a cheaper not really good
    what would you choose between ibanez SR506 or LTD 416 ?
    i will test them in a shop but not every shop has them ... so if you could could give me advice : how each sound and play ?