Help selecting pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by maxoom, Feb 17, 2010.

1. maxoom

maxoom Scumbag of the Earth

I am putting together a strat type guitar,with alder body and maple neck maple fretboard.I am going to be putting in two full sized humbuckers /no middle pup. Ok cut to the chase I really need help deciding what pickups to try out for this guitar. I want good rock metal tones but I like a pickup that will clean up when backed off.

I thought I might try the crunch lab and liquifire Dimarzios. I don`t know anything about them so I need to go investigate.

I want that pickup that can sound heavy but still have good tone sometimes a lower output pickup has better tone and sounds heavier because of it.

Pickups I have or tried SD JB`s, Bill Lawrence L500L, Dimarzio Paf, EMG`s.
    I just want to try something different.

Any Suggestions?

2. AK DRAGON

AK DRAGON Guitar Popcicle

I am currently awaiting for my RG2120x to get back from the guitar hospital. It's getting the crunch lab/liquifire combo installed.

Other options are
    D-Sonic/Air Norton
    Evolution/Evolution
    Tone Zone/PAF

3. Hosenbugler

Hosenbugler Untilted

The Crunch Lab/Liquifire is a good choice, sweet pickups.

Alternatively, you could go Tone Zone/Air Norton (my favourite humbucker combo tbh).

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Drop a seymour duncan '59 bridge in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck maybe?

5. maxoom

maxoom Scumbag of the Earth

I already have a JB I could use for the bridge if I want to go with SD and just buy a neck pup and be done.I kinda want to have some Dimarzio`s in this guitar.I have always thought about trying an EVO but these new crunch & liquifire pups peaked my interest.

I just bought the Crunch lab & Liquifire set.Settles that....