[Help] Scales to build speed ?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by adriano, Mar 21, 2016.

1. adriano

adriano SS.org Regular

Hi guys!

I have been slowing building my speed up using chromatic exercises and a metronome, but its getting boring.

What scales would be nice to work with a metronome to build my speed up ?

ElRay likes this.
  2. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

3. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

The metronome is the key. Any scale will do.

4. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

Play a scale in 3rds,4ths 5ths, ascending and descending. That'll help your speed. The 2 best ways to improve speed are a metronome and patience though.

5. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

Major scale, or any three note per string scale :2c:

6. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

Chromatics.

I still do the little chromatic run from John Petrucci's video as my alt-picking warm-up all the time.

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Any scale you want to play fast?

Pure technique work is very important, and spending time breaking down exactly where your mechanical weaknesses are and designing drills to target them is of course a critical part of growing as a guitarist.

But, the older I get and the longer I play, I've noticed that my playing tends to be better (like, musically better) when I'm practicing things I'll actually use, rather than pure technique drills. Something I've been doing a lot of lately is taking a drum track or click track, picking a scale, and "improvising" in it, accompanied by nothing other than the click, but focusing on keeping my rhythmic grouping consistent. I.e. - playing 16th notes in C minor, but not sticking to a single scale position and instead moving freely around the neck. This has (I think, anyhow) made my playing much more fluid - rather than building tremendous amounts of speed in one position, I've been building better speed and control moving around positions and extending scale runs through wider ranges, both picked and legato. I've found it really helpful.

8. JeremyRodriguez5544998

JeremyRodriguez5544998 SS.org Regular

variation! Scale exercises do get boring, but try to mix up scales with arpeggios. Approach the scale in different ways. Use a line from your favorite solo and practice it in all keys. This will make it much more fun.

9. phrygian12

phrygian12 SS.org Regular

Learn a short piece by Bach or any other classical composers and work on that with a metronome.

10. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

I used to do this and still do for warm ups. Mine was Little Fugue in G minor by Bach

11. haydn

haydn SS.org Regular

When chromatics get boring and you want to mix things up try using the whole tone scale 3 note per string pattern ascending/descending, then move it up a fret, and repeat until you run out of frets.

12. Maniacal

Maniacal SS.org Regular

13. MajorTom

MajorTom Supreme Being

Michael Angelo Batio, the guitarist from the group Nitro who played the four necked guitar:

Made three instructional films, Speed Kills 1, Speed Kills 2 and, Speed Kills 3, that are really worth the effort of hunting down, he uses scales to teach you both scales, how to play fast, how to improvise with scales and build up finger strength and dexterity.

14. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Speed alone isn't everything.
    Controlling your picking is the key.
    I'm doing rather odd exercises using only 2 strings, strictly alternate picking.
    Picking is always up-down...

2 notes upper string and 3 on bottom, 3 notes on upper and 2 on bottom
    1 note per string starting either from upper or bottom
    1 note upper string and 3 on bottom, 1 note bottom and 3 upper
    1 note upper string and 2 on bottom, 2 notes on upper and 1 on bottom

every odd combination you can come up with, and with string skippings added, basically never play the same amount of notes on the 2 strings...
    1-2; 1-3; 1-4 --- 2-1; 3-1; 4-1
    2-3; 2-4 --- 3-2; 4-2
    3-4 --- 4-3

and work with metronome, aim to raise your speed between 2 and 5 bpm per day.
    the most important thing is not only speed, but the stamina to support the speed you want to reach, probably you can play bursts but not be able to play consistently

another thing is...alternate pick everything, alternate pick the arpeggios of ballads, slow down sweep arpeggios and alternate pick them
    look at how Petrucci plays Glasgow Kiss...he could "sweep" some part of the phrases, but he keeps his alternate picking consistent.
    keep in mind that the fewer notes you play on a string the harder it is to be fast