Help Needed: because GAS seems to come in groups...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by danger5oh, Jun 27, 2012.

1. danger5oh

danger5oh I'm always... hungry

I hate posting these types of threads, but I need a second opinion. I've been looking for a new amp to play the gamut of metal genres mostly at home. I already have a Roland Cube 40XL, but I need something more substantial that I can plug into my 2x12 G-Flex (damn 40XL doesn't have an extension cab jack). I've been GASsing forever for an Ampeg SS150 and a Blackstar HT-5 or HT-20... and of course the GAS gods had to put all three of them on craigslist for about the same price. But alas, I can only pick one. Can someone please help a brother out?

2. MistaSnowman

MistaSnowman Play It LOUD!!!

3. danger5oh

danger5oh I'm always... hungry

I'm thinking that might be the better option as well, but my only gripe is that it's the combo and not just the head. I suppose that would give me a little greater flexibility though. The HT-5 is just the head and it's the non-reverb original version, which supposedly sounds better in the gain department, but I wonder what the gain comparison is between the HT-5 and the HT-20? Also, I'm wondering if the older Ampeg will be able to compete with either of the Blackstars in terms of versatility since it's a 20 year old amp... but then again, maybe because they're harder to come by I should go with that one instead? Damnit...

4. schecter4life

schecter4life Banned

ht-20 all the way, no question, never heard 20 watts that loud, tube or SS, and the tones can get SOOOO chimey without having that ice pick to the ear effect

5. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

I've owned both version of HT5. The gain sounds the same on both. The clean sounds MUCH better on the newer version. There is no difference between the reverb or non-reverb version of either.

I've also owned the HT20 and while it had some cool tones, it seriously lacked bass and overall depth. Honestly, the HT5 is much ballsier sounding overall and I was happier with it.

6. MistaSnowman

MistaSnowman Play It LOUD!!!

The HT-20 combo isn't bad at all (more clean headroom makes it nice when running with pedals) but with that cab you have, I'd say grab the HT-5 head. I thought the HT-20 option was the head rather than the combo, that's why I initially suggested the 20.

7. ConnorGilks

ConnorGilks Still can't play.

I own the HT-20 head and it's incredible. I use an Axe-FX now, but plugged into a cab the HT-20 is just like raw, in your face, aggressive, fat tone. Like a hot-rodded Marshall, but better.