Help my Mix / Master (original song, atmospheric, tool / tesseract influence)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by binz, Jul 20, 2018.

1. binz

binz SS.org Regular

Hi,

I've written and recorded a song and wanted to ask for help and feedback with the mix/master. I have watched a ton of youtube videos about the matter but honestly don't know most of the time what I am doing. Basically I use compression and equalizer on most tracks as well as an additional reverb send.

The vocals are recorded in my room. No special precautions and a cheap Behringer XM8500. I record three tracks, put one main to center and two more quitely to left and right. It has an additional Reverb send. Sometimes I use a delay but here I dont. I also autotune the shit out of my voice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

For guitars I use the POD HD500X and actually dont too much to it. I also record three tracks, two panned L/R and one center. In the distorted parts I additionally recorded one track with a 'djenty' heavy tone. The leads / ambient stuff is done with a tesseract-ish ambient preset.

Everything is supported with Synths and Keys. There is actually a trombone and trumpet playing in the bridge.

My biggest problem is the chorus / end dramatic end part where a bunch of things come together. I tried to cut the guitar in EQ at the frequencies where the Synths sit (1k, 2.4k) but now feel like the guitar is just off.

Anyway, here is the current final mix/master:

https://soundcloud.com/korbinian-pa...ian-palmarsson/sets/beans-hideaway-demo-track

I also uploaded a version w/o the master track FX, maybe somebody feels like mastering it?

https://soundcloud.com/korbinian-pa...ian-palmarsson/sets/beans-hideaway-demo-track

I am happy to hear feedback, tips and tricks. I am doing a video for it but first want to set the mix straight before "finalizing" it with a video.

Cheers,
    Binz

2. djordan

djordan SS.org Regular

Man, I really dig the vocals on this track, very Maynard James Kennan-esque. This arrangement is really awesome too!

There are a few issues with the mix I think would be "low hanging fruit" fixes. The low end can get kind of muddy and to *my* ears, it sounds like there's some conflict there. I would suggest trying to cut the low frequencies from anything that doesn't need them to allow the kick, toms, and bass to "breathe" a bit more. Additionally, I would bring the guitars up a bit as they sometimes get lost in the mix. Otherwise, this sounds really kickass! Well done man \m/

binz likes this.
  3. hikizume976

hikizume976 SS.org Regular

hey dude

Not a super expert or anything, but here are some of my thoughts:

1.I would suggest ditching the centre rhythm guitar. I think it'll do more harm than good.
    2.Check the balance between the instruments in the heavy part. The bass is way too loud. And when the vocals and the keys come in, everything else gets pushed to the background.
    3.As djordan pointed out, I feel like the guitars are way too quiet.
    4.I would personally look for some impact in the transition into the heavy part.

I don't think there are any major issues with the individual elements by themselves. I'm not too sure about how much of this can be fixed at the mastering stage, either. I would look at going back to the drawing board in regards of the mixing.

I wouldn't mind having a deeper look into this. drop me a link to the files at info@blackreachstudio.com

binz likes this.
  4. binz

binz SS.org Regular

Hello you two, thank you for taking the time to listen to and comment on my song!

Taking your feedback into consideration I did a new mix where I made minor changes. I also received some 'complaints' about the vocals being to quit from friends. So in this version i boosted guitar and vocals between 1-3 dB and made some additional cuts elsewhere.

@djordan I wanted to follow the advice and cut the lows on everything that doesn't need it but found out that I already had high pass EQs on (almost) all tracks accordingly. What I did notice though was that the Bass track didnt have any compressor so I changed that and think I can hear a difference. Maybe that is what you meant?

Here is the slightly altered mix: https://soundcloud.com/korbinian-palmarsson/beans-hide-away-alt-mix-guitar-vocals-up

I for myself am actually not sure which one I prefer. I get the vocals and guitar remarks but I feel like the other version is 'smoother', in a sense that people that dont listen to heavier music can still enjoy it. Because I really wanted to 'get rid' of the project I already uploaded the Video on Saturday (with the 'old' mix). I don't know if these changes are worth a re-upload? For completeness, heres the video, but I might do separate thread for it:

5. djordan

djordan SS.org Regular

Hey @binz,

I gave your updated mix a listen on some decent converters - nice work! I very much enjoyed being able to hear more of the guitars(I imagine you'd probably get that from everyone on this forum ;-) Yeah, some high-pass filters on non-bass tracks that shelve ~80Hz are, generally speaking, a good thing.

When I had to mix larger bands(12+ members), a technique I relied heavily on was "EQ notching", where I would take a particular instrument/section, bump the frequency that gives that instrument/section it's "oomph", and then cut that frequency a bit from the other instruments. This creates a nice way for the different parts to fit together and might work well with your arrangement as it has a lot of interesting layers that need to be articulate.

On a more personal note, this is *way* better than the vast majority of demo's I received at the studio. You're doing some *really* cool stuff with your vocals. Cheers!

binz likes this.
  6. axxessdenied

axxessdenied :: 2077 ::

Listening to your updated mix.

Vox need to come way up imo. the average listening gravitates to the vox more than the actual music and its incredible hard to understand what is being sung. Sounds like the person mixing it is probably primarily a guitar player I take it based on how the mix is balanced. I'd bring the guitars way down which would probably help those vox pop through a lot more. I think once you take care of balance issues the mix will really come alive. Hope that helps. I'd also bring down the background elements. They are too loud and distracting imo. They should just add flavour to your mix not distract from the actual music.

Don't think your mix isn't good because of all the comments I made. These are just the things that I think would help you reach the next level! :)

binz likes this.
  7. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

I agree with axxessdenied's comments.
    The piano-like melodies are too loud and distracting. They're really in the foreground, I would suggest turning them down, reducing the mids (not too much), and maybe doing so after the reverb if possible ? Or make sure the reverb emphasizes the hi-frequencies to give it that spacey effect but not the mids too much as it makes it a bit more boxy and oppressive (at least I think that's what your itnention is with these parts).
    There's a bit of a constrast in that the kick and snare are quite bright and clicky, the cymbals are a bit more washy, maybe this could be balanced somewhat by boosting the presence of the cymbals (above 5 to 10 kHz) and giving the kick and snare a bit more bottom end.
    I think the guitars could also use a bit more EQing with more of the hi-frequencies to make them stand out out more without turning them up, and removing a bit of mud around the 500 Hz.

Well that is how I would approach all this, this reflects my tastes and opinions and I'm no expert, I just mean to give you leads to explore different possibilities.

binz likes this.
  8. xaptronic

xaptronic SS.org Regular

Sounds cool overall I think - I'm somewhat inexperienced in mixing, however there is something about the bass that sounds strange to me in that it sounds very "noticable".

As for the vocals and how they blend with the other "ambient" instrumental sounds, I kind of get the "vibe" that it presents.. if that's what you were going for.

For the style of the song, perhaps the guitar tone could be cleaned up a bit - it sort of sounds like a "rock and roll" guitar tone but the song sounds more modern.

binz likes this.
  9. binz

binz SS.org Regular

Thank you guys for taking the time to listen and comment on my mix and the song. I've listened on my laptop speakers that sound very dull on the low end and I think I now understand what you mean with the problems there. I use an AKG K702 for mixing which is known to be have quite low bass such that on regular speakers or what ever where bass is usually boosted a bit it tends to explode (does that make sense?).

I didn't have time to incorporate your suggestions yet. But I managed to (learn about and) create stems as two people have asked for it:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hkyoe4HAz96WY28fXhPdLDAh0EY9j8Bb?usp=sharing
    I hope you can work with this. All plugins except for Autotune are off in these. The fact that each verse and chorus for vocals has a different track is because I didn't know how to automize EQing ^^

10. gienek

gienek SS.org Regular

binz likes this.
  11. Ji Sung

Ji Sung SS.org Regular

@binz Do you still have the DIs (If there were any)?

12. binz

binz SS.org Regular

With DI you mean the clean / dry direct guitar input? Unfortunately no, as I don't have any digital sim on my computer (and also latency is too high to play live), I record from the amp sim in the pod HD directly

13. Ji Sung

Ji Sung SS.org Regular

Yeah, that's what I meant. No worries.

14. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

gienek likes this.
  15. Ji Sung

Ji Sung SS.org Regular

binz likes this.
  16. binz

binz SS.org Regular

You can now listen to the new mix of the song along with the three other songs on my EP on all platforms (Spotify, Deezer etc.).

I created a seperate thread for the EP here.