Help me to fix this snare tone please!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Veldar, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

Hey guys,

Essentially I have this snare recording that I want to fix, my experience is limited so I was trying to eq out the overtones but my only solution has been like 3 or 4 notch filters that kinda destroy the tone of the snare. Any help would be great.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/moymi4ssz949jbh/Sk7r.wav?dl=0

Cheers, Sam.

2. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Tune it up about two full turns or so, and slap some moon gel on it. That should do the trick.

Veldar likes this.
  3. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

Thanks dude, any suggestions for post processing? I'm trying to avoid sample replacement.

BenjaminW likes this.
  4. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

If you've recorded it already I'm afraid sample reinforcement may be the only saving grace.

Fix the overtones you don't like, smash it and then solve the tonal holes with sample reinforcement

5. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

I downloaded your file into my DAW and got a usable starting point by using the following 4 EQ filter bands (I use iZotope Alloy, but any similar multi-band parametric EQ should do):

1) High-pass cut the snot out of it to 160hz (Q=48, steep but not quite brick wall) to kill the low end.
    2) deep bell (notch) cut it -10db at 235hz (Q=10.5) to kill that nasty ring
    3) broad bell curve boost of 6.5db at 4350hz (Q=1.1) to bring out the snap
    4) Steep low-pass cut at 10k (Q=48) to kill excess highs

Every plugin is different, so these are just some guidelines, but you get the general idea. The result is not ideal, but it's plausible at least.

This last step should really be done only once you are brining the snare into the rest of the mix - you can add some verb or short delay to thicken it up, again I would pick verb/delay plugins that you can high-cut and low-cut. This time you may end up low-cutting all the way to 750hz or so (YMMV) and possibly boost some additional highs in the verb/delay as well to add some additional snap, assuming your verb/delay plug in has this feature - or buss it to a separate channel and EQ the verb/delay separately. The point being to accentuate the high-mids where the snap/crack is at every plugin stage, and minimize the low droning, the bleeding kick, and that nasty low ring.

Also a friendly reminder... you need to minimize or remove all these unwanted frequencies BEFORE you compress/limit.

A completely separate alternative from the above steps would be as King A mentioned above... MIDI trigger a new snare sample using the existing snare in your track.

Good luck!!!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017