Help me rip apart this mix

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Raindrop Collector, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Raindrop Collector

Raindrop Collector SS.org Regular

Hey everyone at SS!

I've been working for close to 5 months on what I hope to be the FIRST EVER single for by band, but before I start pushing it out to the public for mass consumption I wanted to get as many opinions as I can on what I've got.

Here's the link!

https://soundcloud.com/user-850914169/rough-demo-1

In terms of the song: It's got a lot of Porcupine Tree Vibes, but I also try to put in enough of my own touch that it feels like its' own song. Still progressive, and the album it'll be on is somewhat conceptual.

Though I have strayed pretty far from the technical metal that I started doing when I joined, I have always immensely benefited from all of the wonderful insights, opinions, and feedback from you folks :) Anything is fair game. Something you love? Awesome! Something you hate? Even better. Please help me make this as good as possible!

Thanks!

TedEH and IGC like this.
  2. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

The only things I really can notice, is that the snare is taking up a lot of space. Actually all the drums are. They also, I feel, need to be panned harder.

High end is a little cooked, need to look at that. Low end is VERY cooked, need to spend some time with a LPF clearing it up.

Vocals need more... oomph. Some slammed parallel compression and layered pushed back delays to help them pop forward more.

Production is freakin' excellent, as is the songwriting!

3. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

Sounds pretty good man, but the drums need some work I feel. The snare is very weak yet very present, which makes it a bit tiring to listen to, the kick is essentially not there at all. The low end is muddy and covering up the kick,which is the bass doing a lot of that. Cymbals are slightly loud too and as a result are covering up the clarity of the vocals. And considering the vocals are very wet you need to create space for them. But like KingAernarion mentioned, the production and songwriting are really good. If you ever get tired of mixing this, I'd love to have a go at it! Hope it helps!

4. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Reminds me of Widespread Panic in more than a few places. :lol:

Your mixing capabilities are far better than mine, so I won't comment much on that; however, this is pretty far from the type of music I tend to make. As others have pointed out, the snare is a little overwhelming and kind of wears me out before the song is over. I'd start by reducing its level by 2db or so and see what happens. Vocals could come up a little as well. I felt the lead guitars could come up some too. Otherwise, it's awesome!

5. RockMixer

RockMixer I mix Rock Music

Good start. Drums need to be worked on. Over all mix a bit muddy and needs some glue.
    Send me the tracks, let me see if I can do anything to help.
    oceananalog@gmail.com

6. Raindrop Collector

Hey all! Thank you so much for all of the tips,
    I think a lot of that low and high end sizzling may have been due to the off the cuff mastering that I was doing, along with some poor eq choices. However I'm not sure, so i've added another unmastered version for everyone (along with a bunch of adjustments). I'm still not super happy with the drums, but they're somewhere better when I think they'll translate better. Unfortunately I am trying to use 0 sample replacement and make my drummers' performance as authentic as possible, so getting it to sound super polished is tough with what I am working with.

Unfortunately mixing this is kinda my baby lol, but I will be looking for a mastering engineer for the stuff I'm doing. :) I definitely agree with the comment on the drums though, per what I said in King's response I have had a really difficult time with the drums, as I stubbornly wanted to keep things as real as possible. So anything I get in regards to those is super appreciated.
    I have never heard of Widespread Panic honestly, I guess I have some searching to do! I appreciate everything though, the drums have been really difficult to touch up, so hopefully in the new version I posted they're a bit more tolerable...

Hey, thanks! I totally appreciate the comments, and definitely agree on the things you highlighted. I will be looking to get a mastering engineer in on the stuff I do, and I'd love to drop you a line when the time comes to that.

Also for everyone else, I did put another version of the song up; unmastered, and with a crap-ton of adjustments. Any feedback is incredibly welcome, as always :)

https://soundcloud.com/user-850914169/rough-demo-round-2

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I definitely hear the Porcupine Tree vibes. I'm listening just on m50x, and it sounds great to me. I can hear each instrument/element clearly, the vibe you were going for is communicated well, everything has a good sense of space- realistically anything past that is a nitpick IMO. I wish I had listened before reading any other comments, since the snare does stand out a bit- I think it's the right sound but maybe just a bit too forward/dry, and I notice the dynamic range overall gets a tiny bit weird during quiet bits- the intro synth is a little more pokey/loud than it needs to be.

But realistically - good job. Honestly, lots of demos on here I'll only listen for a couple of minutes then give up- this I'd legit listen to.

8. Raindrop Collector

Awesome, thank you so much for giving it an honest go, I really really appreciate it!! If you were interested, our band page on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/RaindropCollector/) is where we will be posting the final version of this track, as well as the rest of our 11-track album.

Honestly the snare and kick translation are the hardest things for me to mix pre and post bouncing to a .wav file, and I have no clue why. Hopefully I'll get a better sense of this in the future though, especially because I feel like I'm so close to getting what I want. Everyone's comments on here are huge helps :)

Regardless, to those that care, I put up what I hope to be is the last mix I'll do before I go ahead and release it for true promotion. ANY comments on it are hugely appreciated!!!!!

https://soundcloud.com/user-850914169/rough-single-demo-round-3

9. Raindrop Collector