Help me pick an 8 string!

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by samboshin, Dec 8, 2015.

1. samboshin

samboshin SS.org Regular

Hi guys, Im on the hunt for my first 8 string. I've been playing guitar for a while now and I already owned several 6 strings and Im currently playing a LTD h1007 7 string. Im looking to play both djenty stuff and clean/jazzy stuff like Rob Scallons original material. Normally, I would try them out and buy the one I like best but due to the sad fact that I live in New Zealand, I can only order online. If you have an opinion or know anything about there guitars, please let me know. Also, price is not an issue as I will be working over the summer. (Its summer in NewZealand)

I have short listed the guitars of interest and here they are.

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige (emg version)

Schecter hellraiser c8

Ibanez Iron Label Fan Fret (again emg)
    7 and 8 String Electric Guitars - 7, 8 and 9 String Electric Guitar - Ibanez RG Fan Fret 8 String Electric Guitar, Black Stain

Jackson SLATFXMG 3-8 Soloist (emg)
    JACKSON SLATFXMG3-8 SOLOIST (8-STRING) - SATIN BLACK 8STR - Guitars | NZ Rockshop

All of them have EMGS which I plan on swapping out for Bareknuckles or Nazgul/sentients later on so pickups are not an issue. I found that Tonewoods dont really affect that sound that much relative to how much eq and good amp settings do. Moreover, Im concerned about the Schecter's and Jackson's 26.5 scale length compared to the 27 inch on the Ibanez'. Does the extra half inch make a huge difference on the low string tension? or is it negligible Thanks!

2. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Death Will Reign

Just gonna say that the newer Schecters (Hellraiser included) have a 28" scale. I can't comment on any of those however as I haven't tried any. Good luck to you.

3. bzhan1

bzhan1 Banned

You won't notice half an inch, but 2228 by a mile. By mile I mean light years.

4. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

If the 2228 is an option, definitely go with that.

5. TylerE

TylerE SS.org Regular

Not sure if the budget stretches, but...

.strandberg* | Boden OS 8 - .strandberg*

Failing that, I'd probably go for the RGIF8BKS

Multiscale on 8's is a BIG win... easy soloing up high, better tension/intonation down low.

I'll also say the X series EMG pickups are a BIG improvement over the non-X models, and you may well find them more than acceptable. I've got 808X in my Strandberg and it does everything from almost-Tele twang to dark jazz tones very well (and of course metal).

6. superheavydeathmetal

superheavydeathmetal hack

How does this guitar compare to Carvin? They don't hold value too well, but they seem to be highly recommended as well.

7. RUSH_Of_Excitement

RUSH_Of_Excitement SS.org Regular

+1 on any multiscale you're considering

8. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

RG2228 all day

9. bzhan1

bzhan1 Banned

I think carvins hold their value better unless its crazy decked out to $2k+. 2228s don't even reach $800 these days. Carvins look better, ibanez plays a little better, in my opinion. Double locking is a huge plus on an 8 as well.

10. BentAnat

BentAnat SS.org Regular

While I am a big fan of the Jacksons (owning a DKA8 myself), the argument for scale length is something to take note of.

Of the three you listed, the Ibanez 2228 stands out as a prestige model (which means build quality should be great).
    The fanned Iron label Ibanez 8 seems amazing as well (though i am not a huge fan of those EMG 909s).

Carvin/Kiesel guitars seem like AMAZING value, if you can comission one (which I am not sure about, you being in NZ and such). The spec they offer is real nice, and what with them doing multiscale as well now, it may be worth a look.

11. orion

orion SS.org Regular

I would go with the newer 28" Schecters. It will provide tension for about one size smaller string then on the 27" (e.g. from .074 to .072). The smaller the string the better the tone and more guitar like it sounds.

27" is like having one lower fret from 25.5". You could tune down a half step on a 27" and have pretty much the same amount of tension from the 25.5".

The following two links show what I mean.
    Stringulator | 27" .074 F#

Stringulator | 25.5" .074 G

It's best to try the guitars before you buy but if you can't you can try your 25.5" 7 string tuned down to G. Because if you don't like the tone of a 25.5" dropped to G it's possible you won't enjoy 8 string 27" tuned to F#. The 8 string pickups can only do so much to compensate for the thicker strings. However, you may like this type of tone.

12. orion

orion SS.org Regular

I didn't mean to discourage you from getting an 8 string but if you happen to not like the sound of thicker 8th strings, you should still get a baritone (7 or 6) if you don't have one. They sound huge with clarity!

13. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Don't worry about half inch. But personally I'd go for the 28" Shecters too - you'll have much better clarity.
    I also REALLY like the specs.
    Schecter Blackjack A-8 Black

And that body shape. They have more normal shaped versions too.