Help me pick a new sevenstring below 800 EUR

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Crundles, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

Hey SSO!

I've been missing having a seven string laying around, to noodle on and do the chugs. I'm not in a rush, and I'm keeping an eye on the second hand market, but it's pretty weak in my country, and it's always good to know what I can get new.

Bedroom player, no genre preference, currently just a Yamaha THR10x practice amp, later on potentially Mercuriall Reaxis/Fortin Nameless plugin so nothing too fancy needed.

Absolute max budget 800 EUR, buying in Europe so most likely Thomann.

Things wot I need:
    - hipshot hardtail-style bridge
    - thin C or similar neck

Things wot I prefer:
    - 26.5 inch scale
    - not rosewood fretboard
    - not archtop

Checking Thomann, I've found the following two below 800 EUR. Despite the slightly hideous headstock, I prefer the jackson's look, however if Solar release a different colour it would be the favourite. Can't try any of them locally, so will be a blind buy regardless.

Any opinions on these? Any other models I'm missing/overlooking?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_pro_misha_mansoor_ht7_fmob.htm
    [​IMG]
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/solar_guitars_a2.7tbrm.htm
    [​IMG]

2. Grumul

Grumul SS.org Regular

I ordered the Solar model 3 months ago. Still waiting... Order says they'll be in stock in 4-5 weeks. 2 or 3 weeks ago it was 2-3 weeks left. If think if Ola will continue to release new models the shipment to thomann will continue to be pushed back. So just a heads up on that. (You could probably order straight from Solar guitars but that would cost you 50 euro extra)

You said no rosewood fretboard. If it's not too much of a dealbreaker to you you should check out the "ESP LTD MH-417 BLKS" on thomann. A huge discount on it at the moment.

Crundles likes this.
  3. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

Interesting - so if I do decide to go for a Solar, I should go via their website.

Anyone have any experience with these guitars? Specifically the Jackson? I hear Jackson necks are more thin D shaped, but I haven't had the chance to play any.

I'm also kind of interested in the Chris Broderick model - https://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_pro_ht7_chris_broderick_mb.htm - because I like the shape, but it's rosewood, 25.5 inch scale, and 70 EUR above my maximum. Also I haven't been able to find many reviews either which has me a bit worried.

[​IMG]

4. Grumul

Grumul SS.org Regular

You should try posting in the "The "VS" Thread (Having trouble choosing between two or three guitars? Post here!)" thread.

5. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I'd stay away from the Jackson Misha sig. The ones I played were garbage feeling (rough fretjob mostly). Actual photos of the blue variant is very spotty (not a good paint job) so get the dark one if you decide to get one anyway. Plus, there's videos of the bridge being mounted off center even.

Meanwhile, my the Solar I own is AMAZING. No complaints about the guitar itself. I definitely definitely definitely recommend getting one of them. Worth the extra $$$.

Crundles likes this.