Help me pick a new guitar - budget £2,000

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Flappydoodle, May 10, 2018.

1. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

A friend is going to buy me a free guitar, to repay a favour. Problem is, I don't really know what to get.

My current main guitars:

Caparison Brocken - 6 string, fixed bridge, 27 inch scale, tuned to B or C
    ESP Horizon - 6 string, TOM bridge, SD custom/jazz, tuned to D
    ESP Eclipse - 7 string, TOM bridge, EMGs, 7 string standard tuning
    Gibson Les Paul Studio - EMG81/60, drop D
    Gibson Les Paul Classic - Classic 57, standard tuning

I also have a nice Warwick bass, and a couple of cheaper guitars which I rarely play

I am considering something with a Floyd, since that's a big "gap" in my collection. But I don't have much experience with good Floyds - only crappy ones on cheap guitars, which are always horrible and not worth the hassle. For nice Floyd-equipped guitars, I'm considering the ESP Horizon III, or a Caparison Horus M3. I haven't played either before.

Or, I am considering a Caparison Horus FX AM (24.75 scale, cut down super strat), or maybe an Orbit (the RR-inspired V shape), which is something I never would have bought myself but I've liked for a long time. I've played both, and think both are amazing. Problem is, they don't really do anything very different to what I already have. But since it's a free guitar, maybe that doesn't matter.

Does anybody have suggestions? I'd like something different, but of course I mainly play metal, so no interest in getting a 335 or a Strat haha. Also, no interest in 8 strings.

For the budget, I'd be willing to top up a bit for something really nice.

2. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

If I were you I would sacrifice one of them to add to it and get something real special. I did something similar when I got my Mayones and it was absolutely worth it.

If you like Caparisons, the TAT Special is as good as it gets. I only played one for a short time in a guitar shop(next to 3 or 4 Dellingers and Horus') and I still remember how incredible it played. They are good guitars but IMO the TAT special plays and feels a class above the Dellingers and Horus'.

If you are looking in the used market Jackson USAs are the go to guitars for many of us when Floyd Rose is required. I know they are a bit on the pricey side but if you can find a soloist or a Chris Broderick signature(6 or 7) then that would be worth it.

I would also look into Mayones Regius Pros. They come with the German Floyd Rose pros. You get the crafstmanship of mayones with floyd. Can't beat that. They are hard to come by though. And prices are around the same as the TAT Special.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  3. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

I'm not a sales person and I'm not trying to push this company but with that money I'd be buying Skervesen. I cannot say enough good things about them. Definitely check out their website, if you dont want to wait for a build they have about 50 guitars up on reverb right now.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  4. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Thank you so much for your advice. I do love Caparisons. Played a lot of them.

In the end I decided against getting a Floyd. Too much hassle for me I think, and I don't play much lead stuff anyway. Once the novelty of dive-bombs wore off, I think I'd be more annoyed by it than inspired.

I ended up deciding on the Caparison Adam D "metal machine". Based on the TAT, with a 5 piece neck through, mahogany body, maple top and one fishman pickup. I played one - absolute riff machine, sounds and feel amazing. Expensive for such a simple thing, but hey, this is a free guitar!

[/QUOTE]

Skerv look great, but I'm still nervous about custom orders at this point since I haven't totally narrowed down the sort of thing I like. Same for buying on Reverb without trying first.

Thank you for your reply though :)

Jujex and Wolfos like this.