Help me pick a Midi foot controller

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Valnob, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Valnob

Valnob about tree fiddy

Hey guys,

I already have a few pedals in my rig (OCD, Muff, NS2, +tuner and power supply), and i'm planning on buying some more pedals (delay, reverb and tremolo and maybe other stuff).

I think I need a midi controller because i want to be able to push one button and activate the delay, reverb and tremolo at the same time (so presets right ?) and other things., you know, i don't want to tap dance :)
    But i don't know anything about midi controllers.

Could you guys help me find a bunch so that i can choose ?
    I don't want to put more than 400 max on a unit.

Thank you.

2. odibrom

odibrom .

What you need is a pedal switcher. There are lots of different options on the market for lots of different pockets... The new Boss ones look nice...

Some thing like this (there is a bigger brother on this model): BOSS - ES-5 | Effects Switching System

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other options:

3. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

Danko, odibrom :yesway:
    Didn't know about the ES-5, looks pretty neat'n'compact.

EDIT: Looks from the manual (page 10) like buttons 1-5 can be assigned to not just select loops 1-5 on/off, but also do preset/patch switching as other MIDI controllers do it. Nice, as this is how I'd be using it.

For a maybe upcoming pedal-based rig for non-metal, I might be using a Fishman acoustic emulator, a Torpedo CAB, an Eventide H9 Pro, two compressor/sustainer pedals without MIDI (one for guitar, one for bass) and maybe a harmonizer pedal.
    The ES-5 would be placed behind this setup, and used to control the MIDI devices for selecting patches, plus route the manual pedals in/out of the loop.
    Nicely compact floor-setup. Can even be used to switch channels on amps, if needed..

4. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

Check out moen products... They are the cheapest, most full featured switchers i have found

5. mr coffee

mr coffee SS.org Regular

I've been using an ART X-12 for years, it's pretty solid and has taken a beating with no issues whatsoever. It was easy to modify to take phantom power over MIDI - simply soldered two wires from unused pins 4 and 5 to the power connector. If I were to look for a replacement, I would consider the Tech 21 MIDI Moose. Both are very basic, banks of five and program change only if I'm not mistaken, which works well for my needs - I'm controlling a Voodoo Lab Control Switcher, a Digitech DSP128+ and a Decibel Eleven Dirt Clod.

-m

6. Valnob

Valnob about tree fiddy

Thanks guys for the info, i'll look into it.
    And yeah when i said midi controller i was indeed talking about a switcher, just didn't knew the exact terms

7. Sparkplug

Sparkplug Limp Bizkit Lover

I've had the same requirements and bought a G-Lab GSC 2. expensive, but built like a tank.

8. Jorock

Jorock SS.org Regular

9. odibrom

odibrom .

10. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    If you want an indestructable midi board, the the behringer FCB1010 is brilliant.

For looping pedals in and out, have a look at the RJM FX Gixmo, which is an awesome little unit and will mount on your pedal board with all the pedals. very easy to program too.

those two in combination will give you all the flexibility you need.

I have my pedals in a rack drawer under my amp, and use and RJM looper to switch them in and out, where some live before the amp (OD pedals) and others in the FX loop (delays etc) so the fx gizmo is really usefull for that, as you can have it anywhere in your rig.

11. Valnob

Valnob about tree fiddy

Hey everybody,

So I checked a lot of swtichers at different prices and I went with the Carl Martin Octaswitch mk3. I also bought a TC hall of fame, a Mxr carbon copy and a Palmer Tremolo and a lot of patch cables and a pedalboard.

Thank you all for the infos and the help.
    I'll try to post a picture when I will have received my order and installed the full rig.

12. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

Weeeeel... metal part, swell pedals, and controller logic maybe, but not everyone will agree the mini switches under the hinged switchers would carry lifelong certification..
    Switched can be fairly easily replaced, though.

13. Rtf417

Rtf417 SS.org Regular

Check out the One Control Crocodile Tail Loop. I have this for my rig and it works flawlessly. A lot of options for your needs. Crocodile Tail Loop - One Control

14. Valnob

Valnob about tree fiddy

Hey guys, quick question because i've received my order and i'm returning home tonight to open everything.

I know that when you have a simple pedalboard without any switcher, there is a pedal order to respect to some extent.
    But with the switcher, (almost) all the pedals are plugged into the loops. So is there an order to respect ? or can I put for example the delay in loop 4 and the overdrive in loop 8 ?
    Thx

15. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Depends on the switcher. For example the BOSS one seems to allow setting the order (and which ones are activated on each preset) as you please. Check the manual of the switcher you're interested in.