Help me nail the mix! New song recorded

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by goobaba, Oct 19, 2017.

1. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

Hey Guys, recorded a new song (instrumental) with only a rough mix, no eq/compression/reverb and only some basic plugins. Help me make it better, looking for feedback on mix as well as song structure. Consider this a first draft.

https://soundcloud.com/chris-hindes/time

2. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

why didn't you do any EQ/Compression? You mentioned using basic plugins, but EQ/Compression is the bread and butter of mixing.

Guitars are way too dark. Overall mix is very dark too. Cymbals could come up a lot, kick too.

Song is pretty cool though!

3. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

I just wanted some general direction before I dive in

4. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

going to apologize before sounding like a dick in advance, but you will never learn if you don't use your ears to begin with. Hell, use a preset and tweak them.

The song itself is pretty cool and you can make it huge if you honestly just mess around with EQ and Compression.

If you are honestly stuck you should look up some tutorials online,

ironically, Nail The Mix videos helped me learn some awesome tricks to make bass sound HUGE.

schwiz likes this.
  5. GORILLAWALLACE

GORILLAWALLACE GORILLAWALLACE

sick song for sure but the guitar tones are pretty lifeless. lots to be done here. I would turn the snare down a bit as well.

6. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

New mix incoming. I've added much more treble to the mix overall (mostly guitars and cymbals), added compression to bass and snare drums along with some reverb.

I've also decided that the bass guitar is out of tune, just slightly sharp. I recorded the bass tracks with my Ibanez 4 string with Ernie Ball Slinky's on, basically a floppy mess when tuned down to A. I've been looking at 5 strings on Craigslist, may have to wait until then.

7. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

You don't sound like a dick (well maybe a little lol). The issue is that my ears get used to the mix sounding a certain way, and when I change it it always just kind of sounds like a lateral move or even slightly worse. It helps me a lot to know what other people are hearing.

8. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

9. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Better! I think the drums still need quite a bit of work though. However, I did A/B them against your original and I do like your snare better this time around. Overall the guitars are pretty loud though.

Where I think you could improve this track is with the drums and properly gain staging and bussing them. Did you use a fast attack on the kick drum compressor? It kind of sounds like it.

Keep at it dude!

10. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

Appreciate the feedback! The guitars got much louder than I expected once they were more present in the mix. In my third mix they are better leveled compared to the whole mix.

I have all the drums sent to individual buses, but for some reason the kick channel is not showing. I thought I had added a compressor just to the kick channel but it was being applied to the whole drum kit. It did compress the kick a bit but also some other parts of the kit that were unintended.

Oh well! Once I figure it out I will dial in the kit more, been watching a lot of drum mixing videos, trying to absorb them

schwiz likes this.
  11. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular