Help me find MY amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Saidincontext, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Saidincontext

Saidincontext SS.org Regular

So after saving for a couple months as well as tossing and turning deciding on which amp to make a leap for, ive decided to post here and hopefully get some insight from experienced musicians that have actually used a lot of these boutique amps that nobody around me stocks.

To give you insight I play Thrash Crossover (Fatebringertx.bandcamp.com). In the EP “Fatal Ways” I used my Engl Powerball II next to a Marshall 5150 III. At first I really liked my 5150 III but I’ve grown to hate it. There’s just something about the tone I’ve really grown apart from. In the most recent demo I ran my PII next to a Bogner Uberschall (one of the first 100 prototypes) and I came much closer to what I wanted out of the lead amp, but still lacked something.

I love my Powerball to death, to me it has the best bass/lo-mid frequencies I’ve heard over the years, which is why I sold it to my rhythm guitarist. I just wish it was slightly brighter, and had more to offer in the high end spectrum. To be honest I was really eyeballing the Engl Savage, but I borrowed it for a live gig not to long ago (modded by Kruze mods even) and it lacked the low end I wanted. Honestly if I could combine the powerball and Savage it’d be perfect to me.

Is there an amp I’m describing that I just haven’t heard yet? I’ve been looking at the Engl SE and the Diezel Herbert as well. What do you guys think?

FWIW I use Mahogany guitars and BKP Warpigs. Any help is appreciated, budget is $3,000.

2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Maybe an Invader or something like that?

3. Saidincontext

I’ve heard really mixed things about the Invader. I did look into the Invader II but the reviews were just too inconclusive to justify the price tag.

4. Spaced Out Ace

Fryette or Mesa Mark 4/5?

cwhitey2 likes this.
  5. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I was going to say Fryette as well.

I think any flavor will do. I love my sig:x and can never see me selling it even if I become homeless and can't use it :lol:

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  6. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Fryette Sig X.

Splawn Nitro (KT88s).

Saidincontext and cwhitey2 like this.
  7. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Do you need a clean channel? If not I would say a VHT/Fryette Pittbull 100 CL. If you need a clean and can wait a bit, I would look for a decent priced Ultra Lead. You should look to pay about $1000 - $1200 for the CL and $1600 - $1800 for the UL.

I would not recommend the Sig X because it doesn't have the low end of the Pittbulls, same thing goes for Mesa Marks. I also wouldn't necessarily recommend a Herbert. I just got one and it's seriously one of my favorite amps of all time, and I don't really go through honeymoon phases with gear. However, you said you're looking for a brighter tone and the Herbert probably isn't the best fit for that.

You have to play the stuff (I recommend using Guitar Center's used site to try stuff out) but from your description I think you'd be looking at a VHT Pittbull or maybe a different Engl. Keep in mind the VHT will not be anywhere near as saturated as an Engl, and that may be a deal breaker for you.

8. jsmalleus

jsmalleus SS.org Regular

Synergy is debuting their Engl Savage module at NAMM and have a Diezel VH4 module out already that I have really been digging. It's not a herbert, but they might be worth checking out if you're really considering the Engl and Diezel flavors.

Saidincontext likes this.
  9. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Did you do anything with your pickups and string gauge amidst the hunt for the amp?

10. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Sounds to me like you aren't happy with your speakers. 90% of character in the treble frequencies comes from the speaker, try other things.

11. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

This ^^

Or get an EQ for the FX loop. Problem solved.

12. Robotechnology

Robotechnology SS.org Regular

ENGL Special Edition will do what you are looking for. Never owned a Powerball but did own a Savage and the SE head (twice). Expensive, but worth it. If you like the inherent ENGL tone, I’m not sure if you’ll like a Herbert. I like it but, it’s different, not good/bad different, just different.

13. Saidincontext

I have been thinking about waiting for the new Savage special to check it out.

14. Saidincontext

Hi. I have a Mesa oversized with the old V30s, Randall with Greenbacks, Fender Metalhead with G12k100’s and a Marshall 1960a with G12T75. It’s not my speakers.

The ENGL Powerball DEFINITELY did not take any of my EQ’s very well lol. I have a bunch of vintage EQ’s (graphic and parametric) I really love but don’t use much any more.

15. Saidincontext

Hey man, I actually switched to the BKP Warpig model. Mahogany guitar. I have been thinking it IS my pickups not my amp, but yes I switched from the Aftermath and my tone increased 20 fold.

16. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

For kicks, try a seymour duncan JB in the bridge. Im fairly sure that pickup was used on a ton of thrash records in late 80's and early 90's.

As for thrash amps, look at the ceriatone chupacabra 100.

Zoobiedood and Saidincontext like this.
  17. Saidincontext

I’m going to reply to both of these because I just decided to use GC and their awesome 45 day return period to run through a bunch of amps, starting with a Splawn Nitro KT88!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I’ll also look into all the amps mentioned above!

18. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Just remember they don't refund shipping, at least not at my local GC, not anymore. A few years ago, the great people at my local GC let me roll amps and gear for about six months, with full refunds on each, and it was fun as hell rolling all that hardware.

19. Spaced Out Ace

The Splawn Nitro KT88 looks like a sweet amp.