Help me find a world-class seven string guitar.

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by AndiKravljaca, Dec 4, 2018.

1. AndiKravljaca

AndiKravljaca SS.org Regular

Hey there Sevenstring!

I'd like to ask for your help in a very fun matter, but one that requires some research before I commit. After over 20 years of playing and some success, I want to treat myself. I'd like to find myself an absolutely spectacular, first-class instrument, and have a pretty high budget for this acquisition (about 4000 US dollars).

Now, it won't be a heritage instrument, a Gibson or a Fender, or I wouldn't be posting here. Firstly, I play seven string guitars, and secondly, I'm very fond of trem systems, which pretty much cements me in the 'superstrat' or contemporary category.

For the moment my workhorse is this:

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/guitars/pro-series-soloist-sl7/2914227568

And I love most things about the guitar. It plays wonderfully, it sounds great and overall I'm pretty happy. But I want to truly spoil myself with something extravagant.

I've taken the liberty of dividing my specs into what is absolutely necessary (need to have), things I'd like to see but don't necessarily need (nice to have), and things I want to avoid.

Need to have:

- 25.5 inch scale
    - 7 strings
    - Passive pickups
    - Coil split
    - Tremolo system (preferably FR-like)
    - 24 frets (or more)

Nice to have:

- Neck-through (or similar fret access)
    - Ebony or rosewood fretboard with binding
    - Figured wood top with a transparent color, preferably blue or purple
    - Body binding (or exposed top wood)
    - Compound radius fretboard
    - Stainless steel frets
    - Easily accessible volume knob (pinky swells)
    - Tone knob

Don't want:

- Fanned frets
    - Dot inlay
    - Extreme shapes (V, Warrior, Explorer)
    - Headless guitars

- Budget of $4000

I've managed to find these two candidates:

http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_d...3&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=425&color=CL01

https://www.caparisonguitars.com/products/tat-special-7-fm/

But before I pull the trigger on anything, I want to know all the facts. Who are the manufacturers I'm missing? What are my custom options (especially now that Kiesel don't do Floyd Rose 7 strings)? What guitar haven't I heard of, that you guys want to tell me about?

Who are the Tom Andersons and Suhrs of the seven string world? And do you have anything to say about the Ibanez or Caparison above?

Help me make a wise investment!

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If I had to guess, I'd say Tom Anderson and Suhr. :lol:

3. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

You could look into a Mayones Regius 7. This would check all your boxes and is a spectacular instrument. Otherwise ESP USA now offers stainless frets and has some 7 string models. If you are not too attached to the neck through design, you could look into a used Suhr modern 7. There is one that is Floyd equipped on Reverb at the moment for around your budget.

4. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

I second that. I'd build me a Regius exactly as you described. Get a dark blue quilted Maple top as well. You know what, make it a Regius Core. Even better.

Or if you want a guitar right now, I feel like the Chris Broderick signature is exactly what you described. the only thing going against it is that it's pretty heavy but sounds and plays great.

AndiKravljaca and xzacx like this.
  5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Nicest 7 I've ever played was a Suhr Modern Satin 7. You could go for a Suhr Modern 7 with FR, but most I've seen tend to have dot inlays (although you might be able to get one without--so worth checking out).

How about an EBMM JP15 or Majesty?

Haven't played an Ibanez J Custom 7 but have played a 6-string and it was a fantastic instrument.

AndiKravljaca likes this.
  6. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Broderick 7 was the first thing that came to mind for me too—hits most of your wants (no compound radius but almost everything else) and are amazing instruments in my experience. One thing to note is to be careful if you’re picky about weight because they have the tendency to be heavy, but there are lighter ones out there. I would have kept mine forever if it wasn’t 12 pounds.

7. AndiKravljaca

See - I had no idea Suhr even made seven strings. For some reason I've never found that information. Thanks! I knew posting here would be productive.

I'll definitely check Mayones out, thanks for the suggestion! I have zero experience of the brand, so thanks for flagging it up!

I actually agree, the CB signature seven string in trans black checks pretty much all the boxes. I can't find it within my budget though, at least here in Europe they're well over 4000 dollars. So it's the right guitar, but it's too rich for even my budget on this occasion. I'll definitely keep an eye out on the used market though, thanks for the suggestion!

8. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems Contributor

I think we need Lord Voldemort in this thread to shame you for your extravagence.

On a more serious note, Suhr seven strings are fantastically built although the one I played felt a little lifeless to me.

Mayones build a great guitar. ESP make fucking immense guitars.

Do you want production or custom? Do you mind waiting?

tedtan and AndiKravljaca like this.
  9. AndiKravljaca

Checked out a Majesty, and honestly it didn't click which was a surprise. I thought I'd fall in love with it instantly. It felt too light and the neck felt too thin, but I could tell it was a great instrument- just not one that made me desire it. I played a J custom and I'm not sure you get your money's worth (played like a Prestige to me), but a Prestige is damned good too, so they really are good guitars.

Weight is not an issue, really. I've never really felt fatigued by a guitar so I don't mind that. But yes, you're right, that does pretty much check all the boxes doesn't it. Thanks for the suggestion, perhaps I just need to redouble my effort to find one within my budget.

Waiting is not an issue, I'm perfectly willing to order custom and get it in seven months if need be. It's more a question of, where do you go. Jackson's CS is way too much money (over 5000), Kiesel don't do Floyds with seven strings, Halo is what it is qualitywise... It's a question of where do you go really.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, great stuff.

10. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

They tend to go for steals here in the U.S. so keep your eye out for sellers willing to ship internationally. I paid something like $1,300 for mine—although that was a solid black one rather than trans finish. Still though, they seem to regularly sell for well under $2k on the used market regardless of finish.

11. SamSam

The Broderick is a hefty guitar for sure. Guitarguitar had a second-hand one for a decent price but I was honestly shocked by the weight of it.

Suhr do customs for a reasonable upcharge if you do like the style.

With 7 months you don't want to look at many custom shops as 24 months is realistic in most cases (or way more).

Esp usa customs might be worth a look (they look great) although i am unsire of their wait times.

Aristides is high up the list for me right now and worth checking out. They play phenomenally!

12. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Get a Mayones from the UK, the pound is absolute shit right now so they're excellent prices over there.

SamSam likes this.
  13. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Or for Floyd Rose the JP16 7.

14. SamSam

This guy gets it. To be fair I would 9nly ever buy in the UK as the currencies currently stand. Vat free life is the best life.

15. AndiKravljaca

Sadly the Swedish crown is right beside the Pound there, the relationship between them is the same as it was years ago. It just means American stuff is more expensive :D But it's a good idea to scope the currency market for the right place to shop - that's a great idea. Thanks!

jephjacques likes this.
  16. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Well, if you're willing to wait a couple years on the list, there's always Daemoness. Dylan will build you pretty much whatever you want, and his reputation has generally stood the test of time. His artistry is also basically second-to-none.

Mayones is also a good choice for you, given that you're in Europe.

17. MFB

MFB ExBendable

18. BillCosby

BillCosby SS.org Regular

Kiesel does floyds on the K series 7 string and the Born of Osiris dude's non-headless sig. The latter won't be available after this month, though.

19. AndiKravljaca

Top tip! This is perfect money for this guitar. I might be torpedoing myself here but whoever gets this will be getting a deal - I've played a j.custom and they really are great guitars. I've just never been sure they're twice the money for a Prestige. This eliminates that problem elegantly. And Sodalite looks almost black anyway, the finish is only marginally different in real life. Great, great tip!

I just checked and saw that - I wonder why Kiesel themselves never suggested this to me when I had a conversation with them. I was speccing a DC700 and had a conversation with two people at the company about an Option 50, and neither of them mentioned that they do the Floyd on the K-series. Weird, but thanks - great find! :)

20. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!