Help me decide: Scale Length (25,5"-26,5") / Shape (RG-FR) / Frets (24-21) w/ mockups

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by NKGP, Jan 6, 2012.

1. NKGP

NKGP New Member

Pics first:
    [​IMG]
    RG-25,5"-24 frets
    [​IMG]
    RG-26,5"-24 frets
    [​IMG]
    RG-26,5"-21 frets
    [​IMG]
    FR-25,5"-24 frets
    [​IMG]
    FR-26,5"-24 frets
    [​IMG]
    FR-26,5"-21 frets

- Normally I tune my guitars to drop B, but now and then I go lower. Since I want to keep tension and want to sound tight I thought "why not add an inch to the scale length".
    Question: will this difference be noticeable?

- I'm not the tallest guy in the world, but my hands are pretty big. I had a 27,5" guitar once and the thing that annoyed me the most was that the lower frets were further away from the body of the guitar. Taking a bar chord on the first fret wasn't easy so I thought "why not give up 3 frets for a normal nut-body distance".
    Question: Does this have a negative consequence?

So as you probably noticed, I've put the regular guitar first, then the one with the longer neck, and then the same one except the neck is missing 3 frets and is shifted towards the body. This both for the RG and the FR.

Personally I think the RG26,5"21 looks like a toy, but the FR26,5"21 looks even more classy than the original.

What are your thoughts?

2. Just A Box

Just A Box SS.org Regular

I'm still wringing it out, but I am finishing up my first build. I based it on the FR and made some changes. Just in case you need any inspiration. Personally, I'd go for a longer scale length. I can't see an inch or an inch and a half being that much further of a reach , but that's just me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

26.5" for versatility, as many frets as you can have, and whichever body shape would be more balanced. the dual cut has the longer upper horn, which gives you better balance, avoiding any neck dive issues, for example.