Help me decide how to deal with my neighbors

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DevinShidaker, Apr 7, 2012.

1. DevinShidaker

DevinShidaker ss.org Addict

Okay, so I've been living in my apartment for almost a year now, and we have terrible neighbors living below us. Basically, our unit is in a nice area, and it's cheap, we plan to stay here while we save money for a house (so don't suggest relocating, it's out of the question). Essentially, these people are what you would call "white trash", they are older, toothless, hillbillies who chain smoke, constantly scream, slam their doors, and have wonderful outdoor domestic disputes. The smoking bothers me, but I know that legally I can't tell them that I don't like my apartment smelling like an ash tray. The biggest problem for me is the noise, people are constantly coming and going, slamming the door at all hours of the night/day (which shakes the entire apartment). I have taken the high road far too many times and notified the rental office/landlord, all who have done absolutely nothing. We are great tenants who have never once been late with rent, nor have we done any damage whatsoever to our apartment. Our landlord obviously doesn't care what goes on as long as people pay their rent... so now is the time I try out some, well, "different" measures. So I call on you, sevenstring.org, to give me some creative ideas (within the realm of legality) on how to deal with these people. Obviously talking it out would be the best solution, but so far that has proven useless. I also don't want to spend the money taking them to court over something that seems so trivial. I just want to be able to sleep through the night or relax without being bothered, is that so much to ask!?

Sorry for rambling, but I've fucking had it with these "people"

guitareben likes this.
  2. rectifryer

rectifryer Banned

Your SOL.

3. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Continue to take the highroad.

4. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

Bleach and ammonia.

5. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

In and out at all hours of the night sounds like meth trafficking to me. I'd suggest calling the cops.
    I'd also suggest doing the same thing and filing complaints if they keep driving you batshit insane with the noise and fighting.

Other than that, I agree with Necris, please continue to take the high road and not sink to their level. It reminds me of a quote I once heard:

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then they will beat you with their experience."

6. DevinShidaker

DevinShidaker ss.org Addict

I would love to do this, but they're making it EXTREMELY difficult :realmad:

7. rectifryer

rectifryer Banned

Call cops next domestic dispute. In most states they are required to arrest someone regardless of who called. That will get the point across.

I would have brought that up earlier, but I had forgot.

8. larry

larry ". . . . . . . ."

small claims court may be your best bet, since relocating is out of the question.
    what, if any, are the stipulations in your lease??? better yet, what are
    the tenant laws in your state?

if you can hold the landlord liable for any of the floor level tenents' behavior,
    that could work in your best interest. also, you can always file a domestic disturbance
    report everytime the 'hill billies' go at it. do it legitimately enough times and use
    the documentation in small claims. depending on penal codes, this may force the
    landlord to evict said bad tenants.

i know you don't wanna move unfortunately though, you might have to. unless you
    own the joint, there's not too much you can do. even in that case, tenants would have
    to be well in violation of their lease beyond the grace period madated by your state/county.
    i live in a privately owned triplex, and have had to deal with unsavory tenants. it almost
    came down to me buying the property. the threat of new management, along with a few
    severe lease violations ultimately forced them to leave.

this kind of shit is the only thing i hate about renting. at least when you own, you can
    modify your property to suite privacy needs, within city code of course.
    good luck to you bro. the high road, means nothing to people stuck in the low road.
    until you buy that house, you're stuck in a shitty game where the landlord always wins.

9. Bigsby

Bigsby Nerd Contributor

kill them with a rock

10. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob Afraid, probably

11. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

Trying to reason with ignorant white trash is like dealing with a two year old. Continue to take the high road, lest you drag yourself further into a battle you can't win. You'll just bring more pain on yourself - is it worth the trouble - that's up to you.. Trashy neighbors tend to come with the low rent. Take advantage of your situation, crank the guitar and enjoy. if they complain, agree to turn it down, perhaps mention the door slamming woke you up the other night.

12. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

I would also suggest killing them with a rock.
    And if that fails, call the cops.
    seriously though look into the noise laws in your community. Document to your issues with your neighbors and your reports to your landlord in writing. And then keep calling the cops. Odds areof likely after the first visit they'll try to keep the lower profile. And of not, after a few tickets, they wont be able to afford to stay.

13. The Uncreator

The Uncreator Control The Sun

I've only read the thread title, so I say...

Murder

After reading full post,

Murder

14. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

Kill them with rock.

A rock covered in bleach and ammonia.

15. nostealbucket

nostealbucket aint no gahdam woman

Rip their still-pulsating heart out of their chest as an offering to Set.

He will be pleased.

16. Aevolve

Aevolve Yugen.

Option 1:

1. Buy looper pedal
    2. Place rig outside their apartment
    3. Turn rig up to ear-shatteringly loud levels
    4. Bar their door so they can't get out
    5. Play epic pinch harmonic and capture it in the loop
    6. Let the loop repeat until they slide a paper under the door that reads "we'll shut the fuck up! we promise!"

Option 2:
    [​IMG]

17. JoeytheChoady

JoeytheChoady JoeytheChoady

18. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

+1. :agreed:

19. JStraitiff

JStraitiff Melodic Mamma Jamma

Well throwing stones (figuratively for now) will only draw attention to you instead of your attention being on them. They are going to start fucking with you. This is the way these people live so you are going to either have to get them out of there or you will have to get out of there.

If you are really bothered by it dont be so closed minded. At least look around at other apartments. You dont have to set the moving date...

That would be the high road. Otherwise you would have to find ways to make them want to move and since they are white trash, annoying them isnt going to make them take the high road, its going to make them break beer bottles and eat your dog.

You could find out some shit on them and make them think someone bad knows where they live. That would make them split.

You could find a way to make them think their apartment is infested.

You could also kill them with a rock.

20. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Re-reading the OP has only increased my thoughts that these people are tweakers. Having considered that, cop calling could have negative consequences once they start to figure out you're the one doing it. (hell hath no fury like a meth head who has their fix taken from them)

More info is needed though:
    Are they awake all night and day for days on end, then sleep for another day or two?
    Does their domestic disputes correspond with the days where they seem to be either sleeping or broke?
    Are random people coming in at all hours of the night, and leaving withing 10-15 minutes tops?
    Are the people that live there unusually skinny like they just escaped from Auschwitz?
    When you notice them, do they have weird or unusual tics, or a complete inability to sit completely still, and mumble or ramble in a manic-like fashion?

If yes to all of those, they are tweakers dude and you can probably have them busted. I don't know Ohio's laws on it very well, but a lot of states have a zero tolerance policy for it, and they can do hard time for it. Keep notes/dates/times of everything and if you really think something bad is going on there, phone it in and provide the notes.