Help me choosing an electro-acoustic guitar

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by DarkNe0, Jun 24, 2015.

1. DarkNe0

DarkNe0 SS.org Regular

Hey guys, been a while since I've had time to pop around here

So I'm currently looking to upgrade my ....ty Ovation acoustic guitar, and been looking at both Martin and Taylor since they look like what I really would be liking to play on, fitting my style perfectly, but I'm open to any suggestions of course.

My main style of playing is prog-rock ranging to a bit of alternative. Think Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Soen, Riverside, Radiohead, some metal ballads here and there, and some old GnR, Aeorosmith etc.

I've had a look at a couple of Ovation guitars as well, but I really want to have a full rich sound when playing unplugged. Sure, Ovations sound insane through a PA but they're too artificial for my liking when unplugged.

My budget is somewhere around the $1500 USD.

Cutaways are a plus but not a must!

Cheers! :)

2. FRETPICK

FRETPICK Banned

3. punisher911

punisher911 blah blah blah

Taylor 310ce maybe.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Pretty much any Taylor 3xx series. Wonderful guitars, all of them. The only other mainstream acoustic maker that's even close to quality at the same or similar price is Breedlove. I like Martin a lot too, but until you hit about $2100 they can be a tad hit or miss when it comes to tone.

The first thing you should do though is find the body shape you like the most. They all have their own quirks and advantages. Do you want the boom and volume of a Jumbo or the cutting midrange of a Grand Auditorium, the classic sounds of a Dreadnought or are you more of an OO fan? Once you find the shape it makes finding the right acoustic so much easier.