Help me choose a cab?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mvhp, Oct 12, 2011.

1. mvhp

mvhp Member

I got a Blackstar HTV-412 yesterday to go with my HT5RH but now I think that might have been a stupid decision... Now I need help deciding on a cab.

It's heavy which is to be expected with a 4x12 and doesn't even fit in my car. I'm not in a band at the moment so it's mostly for recording, I'd like to be able to gig with it but I guess that's not a priority as I can borrow a 4x12 or buy one later.

My options at the moment are:
    HTV-412
    HTV-212
    HTV-112
    Orange PPC112

Has anyone compared these?

2. book_of_lies777

book_of_lies777 SS.org Regular

for some reason, Blackstar's speaker cabs haven't struck me as anything special... except maybe the high-dollar Series One stuff, which I haven't heard(nor could I ever afford).

Sounds like you need a 2x12 - small enough for home, good enough for gigs. How about this: Randall RT-212RC Guitar Speaker Cabinet at zZounds ?

3. mvhp

mvhp Member

It looks good but I can't find it here in australia and shipping is expensive =\ actually even without shipping music gear is expensive here.

I'm thinking of going with either the 2x12 blackstar or the orange. The orange would sound better but the blackstar would be better for gigs and if I got a bigger amp head it wouldn't look so stupid.

4. Exploder

Exploder Well-Known Member

If you're thinking of using the 4x12 for gigs later down the road, I would get an empty Avatar 2x12 and pop two of the speakers from your current cab into it. You would get to keeep the 4x12 for future use and save some cash in the process. Avatars are fairly inexpensive and are built like tanks.

5. mvhp

mvhp Member

Again, it's hard to get hold of those here. Unless anyone knows of some Australian dealers?