Help me build an ambient post-rock pedalboard

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by FallOfHumanity, Sep 7, 2017.

1. FallOfHumanity

FallOfHumanity SS.org Regular

hey guys,

So for a while now I've really been drawn in to melodic metal and ambient rock. I'm wanting to focus more on the latter but have the versatility to still get some heaviness out of the board.

Here are my current pedals:

Boss TU2 Tuner
    PTP Haunted Delay (Mark Holcomb Signature delay)
    EQD Afterneath
    TCE Ditto X2

https://imgur.com/gallery/M2ceB

I have a pedal train JR, and a pedal power Iso 5 psu.

All of this is going through a PRS Archin and Mesa recto 212.

I've considered an EQD Avalanch Run, however given that I already have the afterneath and a haunted delay, I'm not sure how different that'll be.

Also, I'd love tips on how to wire it cleanly, if you've got any. I had it all zip tied before and it was nice, but still had some cables straggling.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've also recently been building up an ambient/dad rock board with some different pedals from what I'd normally use to play heavy music. I can message you with specifics, but here I can at least give a couple of my broad findings.

I think stacking delays is important for ambient sounds and swells. You've already got the Holcomb delay, so maybe look into a brighter or digital delay to go between that and your reverb. Andy Othling did a video a while back explaining how he stacks delays, with the darkest sounding delay with shortest repeats first, building up to the brightest and longest repeats at the end. All of his reviews and tips are super helpful, if you've not looked into his stuff before.

Another important part of a setup like this is any drive pedals you use. I generally won't use a lot of gain from pedals for ambient/rock playing, but it can be a nice change in texture for swells or melodies over a pad/chordal piece. Hard to go wrong with a Klon-type or transparent drive for a cleaner boost, then a TS or Bluesbreaker variant to layer on gain.

I don't have the most neat/tidy board around, but building your own cables can help a lot with getting rid of clutter, especially if you run some of them beneath the frame of your board. I've never tried the tiny solderless solutions like George L or Lava, but using skinnier and more flexible cable helps as well. I use the bulk Mogami mini cable that Redco sells and whatever connectors look the least intrusive space-wise.

Also, how do you like the Ditto x2? I've been debating picking up another looping pedal and that's the main one I'm looking at besides another RC20xl like I used to own.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    FallOfHumanity likes this.
  3. FallOfHumanity

FallOfHumanity SS.org Regular

Excellent advice. Gonna check out some new cables.

As for the Ditto X2, it's pretty awesome. I really like the effect features (reverse, etc). Also the Ditto X2 has a 3 year warranty.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  4. cult

cult SS.org Regular

You want lots of reverb and delay, maybe some modulation.

When I had a post-rock-ish board it went:
    Tuner - Reverb with almost no dry to 0 dry signal coming through which I would kick on for ambience, a boss RV-3 is great for this type of stuff! - Flanger - Delay (Boss DD20, kickass unit with loads of features) - amp reverb for more subtle reverbs, wanted to replace it for something more lush, then quit the band before.

You want different drive textures, but the archon should be able to cover that.
    Also, low Gain pickups are what I'd prefer.

5. davidswain

davidswain SS.org Regular

Stacking delays is definitely a good idea, I tend to go different types or one modulated and dark and one cleaner and brighter.

That and / or reverb depending on what textures you are after.

When I had the rack setup I would have delay into reverb (or vice Versa) on the quadraverb 20 and a cleaner sound via the evenetide and mix that with pedals.

I had a sonic sculpture switchblade so could blend in dry via expression pedal if I wanted sounds further back.

Don't underestimate killing the dry!

Any particular types of sounds you are after?

Also do you have piezo pups? If so... can process them separately. Big reverb. No dry. Puts a bright halo around the notes and a very different attack.

Can replicate the same effect with some creative routing.

I would go phaser or filter (I use a soonus wahoo, lots of versatility there) instead of flanger or chorus, but I'm not a fan of chorus...

Personally I use:

Ed the compressor
    AMT R2
    soonus wahoo
    Line 6 dl-4

Planning on getting a boomerang III (when they are up and running again) and a zoom cdr70.

Smaller than the old setup but can do 99% of it.

6. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I would pick up The Wash from Hungry Robot Pedals.