Hello from Germany

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by KOEMIG, Apr 24, 2018.

1. KOEMIG

KOEMIG SS.org Regular

Hi guys,
    i sold all my other guitars to start building my own guitars! :D Several month ago i built my first guitar (7 string, fanned fret, headless, also wound the pickups myself - they sound like crap^^ and constructed the bridge myself). Shortly after i started an internship for 4 month at a luthier. I am currently in love with the band Gorod (glorious tech-death) and Archspire. I also like the album Barton's Odyssey from Atlantis Chronicles. So far i really like playing 7 strings. I also tried out 8 string guitar, but damn, i think my hands are too small for them :D

2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Welcome! It's my dream to build my own guitars and eventually when I can, I will. You should definitely post some of your work! We have quite the builders on here.

KOEMIG likes this.
  3. KOEMIG

KOEMIG SS.org Regular

I'm somewhat shy about my work (proud nonetheless) since it doesn't look all that professional (the bridge especially). Maybe i will though. I'm also currently working on my bachelor thesis that also is about electric guitars. When i am done around july/august i'll probably have built a much more professionel looking instrument that i can post pictures of :D

4. KOEMIG

KOEMIG SS.org Regular

@Albake21 Also how does the neck of your Schecter KM7-MKII compare to that of your Ibanez RG752?

5. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

welcome to sso

6. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Totally understandable, either way, hopefully you will share some of your work in the future!

Good question about the neck. As someone who is very picky about necks, I'll try my best to explain them. So first things first, the KM7 is a super thin neck with no shoulders at all. Basically a c shape, very round but super thin. By far the thinnest neck I've ever played on a 7 string. The RG752 on the other hand is pretty much the opposite. It's till thin, but not as thin as the KM7. It is 1mm thicker but not only that, the shape is pretty different. Take the KM7, add 1mm and add some shoulder to it and that's the RG752. It basically just fills out the hand more while still being thin. I swore up and down that the KM7 was the perfect neck for me until I tried the Ibanez. Now I honestly can't go back to the KM7. It just feels to thin to me. As someone who always hated shoulders on guitar neck, I enjoy my RG752 neck way more. Hopefully that helps!

KOEMIG likes this.
  7. KOEMIG

KOEMIG SS.org Regular

@Albake21 Thanks for your in depth explanation. Sounds like the Ibanez is more for me then. I need a bit more meat on the neck for my thumb to grip on.
    @M3CHK1LLA thank you and hello! Love the Xipos guitars btw!

Albake21 likes this.
  8. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred CFH

Welcome to the forum

KOEMIG likes this.
  9. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Anyone that’s a fan of Gorod is good in my book. Willkommen

KOEMIG likes this.
  10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

:wavey:

Herzlich Willkommen!

I don't believe I've ever posted my work here, either, because I am quite bad at finishing work, but we do love seeing photos of guitars, especially DIY ones. I think there should be a lot of ideas you can offer the board, and hopefully the board can offer some ideas to you that can help you improve. I've learned basically 99% of what little I know about lutherie here.

KOEMIG likes this.
  11. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Willkommen!

I've found this place to be full of friendly folks. Please do post your work, we all geek out about that stuff!

Where in Germany are you located? I've traveled around a bit.

KOEMIG likes this.
  12. KOEMIG

KOEMIG SS.org Regular

@Dawn of the Shred Thanks and hello!
    @DudeManBrother Hi and thanks! I introduced them to a friend of mine who usually listens to prog with clean vocals and even he likes them! :D
    @bostjan @groverj3 Danke und Hallo. The forum is a nice source of information indeed. Finishing is the hardest part, i know what you mean :D I am actually working on my bachelor degree which is about guitars aswell :) Once it's finished, i might post it here. It might take a while though, my thesis has to be finished in about a month - so i am quite busy at the moment. I am trying out different materials (like fiber composites etc.) and also further developed a new kind of headless bridge. Maybe if there is time, i'll also wind the pickups myself even though my last ones sounded like a pile of tin cans crashing into each other^^ Currently i live in Hannover (Saxony).

groverj3 likes this.
  13. bostjan

I'm a very strong advocate for the use of modern materials in instrument making. I think with the latest restrictions from CITES, guitar makers should be looking more into the composite materials that other industries have already put to use half a century ago. With so many new magnet technologies the past ~15 years, and alternative transducers becoming so affordable, I don't see why pickups are staying exactly the same generation after generation. And, most of all, I applaud people like Garry Goodman, and the people at Kalium, who are trying some new materials and manufacturing processes with string making, so that we can access more reliable products over a wider range of tuning.

Your degree is about guitar building?

groverj3 likes this.
  14. KOEMIG

KOEMIG SS.org Regular

@bostjan We are definitely on the same page! I look into all kinds of alternative materials that i could use for building guitars. There are so many possiblities: for example 3D Printers that are able to print materials that are partially fiber composites etc.. I got a bit of help from a department of my college/university that is specialized in using alternative, ecological materials. There is also a video from Taylor guitars i think, were the owner of the company talks about current use of ebony. Worth a watch. I study Industrial Design, so basically the profs want me to focus on the design aspekt but i always wander between design and engineering. As for the Pickup technologies - i am not up to date on new technologies but still very interested. My degrees focus for now is on the building and designing aspect, later i'll definitly also dig further into the electronics (probably after my degree). An idea of mine for the pickup matter is basically taking the active pickup a step further in the direction of modelling. You just produce 1 pickup (thats why it probably hasnt been made yet - not really profitable) where you can create patches (with Eq settings, boosts etc.) on your computer and load it into the pickup. A problem might be that it might not sound very organic.

15. bostjan

Interesting. Sort of like a Variax for the 21st century. I've been playing a little lately with Raspberry Pi and Arduino, to see if I can get anything to work as a digital modelling amplifier, and there are a few programs out there, but the hardware interfaces are not that good just yet. I think that once someone develops something to get the guitar signal into these sorts of computers cheaply and easily without too much loss of sound quality, musicians will be tinkering with these devices everywhere. It's right around the corner, but I think you are right, that the reason it hasn't already happened, is that it's up to hobbyists, because there is not much commercial money to be made with such a device. The Raspi and Arduino are basically not much more cost to buy than a 9V battery, so I could see a future where one is installed in the guitar and offers modelling with pickup tones and another could be outboard for effects, and maybe another for amplifier modelling.