Hello from a 7 string beginner.

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Alnico-II, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Alnico-II

Alnico-II SS.org Regular

Hi,

I heard about this place Via 'The Fretboard' and I get my first 7 String guitar in just a little over 2 weeks time so I joined here to get some help with that and hopefully contribute something to the forum.
    I've been a member of TFB since 2014 and I'm very active in supporting that community. We're running a Jam Session in September which is advertised at the top of the homepage and I'm one of the organisers of that event, among other things. I've made some of my best friendships through that forum and I hope to bring the same ethos here with me if I can.
    My username there is Alnico,.....please feel free to look me up there if you'd like to know anything about me and see my trading reputation with gear there, which is impeccable.

I can be an idiot just like anyone can be at times and sometimes I come out with some stupid crap the way a lot of people do but I try to learn from that as I go and as a new member here, I'll keep that mode switched off and try to contribute only what would be useful, especially as I'm new here.

Your forum looks really good and the site's functionality is great. Thanks for that and I'm looking forward to logging on more and more and learning as much as I can while trying to help others as much as possible. Despite my sense of humour and occasional mistakes, I try to like my life helping those around me as much as I can and I try to enjoy life wherever possible.

I've been playing the guitar since 1980 but this will be my very first time playing and owning a 7 string, which is really exciting. If it goes well I'll be getting a second 7 string guitar in October for my 45th birthday, my long - term dream guitar a UV777PBK, hence the avatar I've chosen.
    I'm a massive Steve Vai fan and I like to think I've got a broad musical taste but my main passion for music lies in the now classic Rock and Metal scene of the 80's and 90's.

Thanks for having me, My name is Mark.
    :)

auxioluck and Sir Ibanez like this.
  2. Sir Ibanez

Sir Ibanez SS.org Regular

Welcome, Mark!

3. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

Welcome to the family!

4. Alnico-II

Alnico-II SS.org Regular

Thanks both of you.

In the post above I've said that I'm getting my 1st 7 string in a couple of weeks and my dream guitar, a Universe, in October.
    That might all be changing in the next few days. The Universe *might* happen a lot sooner than I thought and become my 1st 7 string.
    I'll know by the middle of the week.

I'm really enjoying being here and learning so thanks and hopefully there'll be an excited NGD very soon.

5. Matthias Hornstein

Matthias Hornstein SS.org Regular

Welcome Mark.
    I am new new in this forum too, but looking forward to learn from your very long guitar experiences since you are playing since 1980 ;)

Cheers,
    Matthias

6. IGC

IGC OCDG

7. Alnico-II

Alnico-II SS.org Regular

Thank you all very much.

Sorry I've been a bit quiet, I've been busy trying to get my new guitar sorted.
    I've got it but it's been hanging on someone's wall for a lot of years, barely used so it needed to go and see a tech as soon as I got it.
    It's had a full set up, frets polished, locking nut shelf lowered and levelled, neck shimmed up, new tremolo posts and knife edges recut, all tarnished screws replaced, Carbon Ultralite tremolo arm and a cliplok strap fitted.
    It's all done now and it's coming home on Wednesday this week.

I've wanted one of these since they came out 30 years ago and this model since it came out in '98. Now it's mine.
    I've got my Holy Grail guitar.

Although I actually bought it 2 weeks ago it's officially NGD on Wednesday when UPS bring it back from the tech. I'll post a NGD thread with the best photos I can take when it gets here.

I AM SO F*****G EXCITED !!!

I am now the VERY proud owner of a Universe UV777PBK from the year 2000.
    It's original and unmodified and in really nice condition but most importantly, it's MINE !

Thanks for welcoming me and I hope me and this new guitar can contribute something worthwhile to the community here.

8. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

welcome to sso...

congrats on the guitar, they are great, ive owned one

9. Matthias Hornstein

Matthias Hornstein SS.org Regular

Congrats to your new guitar!!
    And i am sure that you will contribute something to the community - looking forward to it ;)

10. Alnico-II

Alnico-II SS.org Regular

Quick Update:
    The guitar went to see a Tech who did an ok job but (diplomatic mode engaged) I felt that the guitar still had more to offer......so I've taken it to see an old friend at Feline Guitars in London. It's going to be another couple of weeks before I can post an NGD thread but it'll be worth the wait. Jonathan is going to completely start again and this time it'll have everything from a fret dress right through to the neck pocket reshaped to remove the shim it temporarily has and get the angle right.
    I also managed to find a brand new Genuine Ibanez Pickguard so that's being fitted along with every screw and bolt on the guitar replaced including the 4 black neck screws and a pair of Ibanez Sure Grip III control knobs. I stole the Ultralite tremolo arm I bought for the Iron Label and put it on the UV and Jon is also going to replace all of the 17-year-old pots and wiring as he switches it all over and check the pickups.

To finish it all off the tremolo cavity is getting new Teflon coated springs and a pair of Goldo Backboxes fitted and a hybrid set of 09-59 strings.

It will be ready in a few weeks and what's being done will transform the guitar and freshen up everything about it so the payback for that will be massive and well worth the wait.

When I go to collect it I'll be taking with me the next guitar I own that Feline will be working on, my Iron Label RGIR20E. That's going to have some subtle mods but it will stay more or less as it is with Active pickups and Jon will be able to make the most out of the amazing 3 piece Maple/Bubinga neck it has. I've fitted an 'Original Edge' tremolo arm socket to the 'Edge Zero II' tremolo and thankfully mine didn't come with the ZPS system. I did have the Ultralite arm as well but the UV nicked it because frankly, it deserved it more and way outranks an Iron Label but I'll get another one for it sometime soon.

http://imgur.com/6wBDFgC

I've also replaced all the wiring with EMG including the switch which includes a much better system BUS than EMG's would normally have and now the whole system is solderless and works really well.

http://imgur.com/KxbTNXP

I've bought and fitted an '85' pickup for the Bridge and moved the 81 from Bridge to Neck and fitted Sure Grip III knobs.

http://imgur.com/n2IeJEk

Jon will take the whole set up a stage further and refine everything about the neck, fit some MOP dot markers into the front of the fretboard and give a nod to the more traditional RG's. Bearing in mind it's resemblance to the UV with white binding around a gloss black body we might fit a mirrored pickguard although it'll be a smoked mirror effect to stay with the theme of the guitar.

I can't help myself wanting to call it the 'Iron Lion'.

Anyway, NGD threads soon when the work's done and it'll be all worth the wait.

11. Tom Sklenar

Tom Sklenar SS.org Regular

Hello, welcome to the forum!

12. Alnico-II

Alnico-II SS.org Regular

Thanks Tom,

The work on the UV is still in progress at Feline Guitars in London.
    It's almost done but they've had to wait for parts and it's such a high quality service from them that they're often very busy.
    Jon is a friend and to be honest I've been so caught up with life and relationship wars that I haven't played in .....fuck knows......and I don't care if it takes another month.

Jon says it's becoming very nice, it needed some fundamental work on the neck pocket but it's all very good now, last we spoke he was fitting the new pickguard and pots and maybe the Goldo Backboxes had arrived, I'm not sure.
    Either way it's not far off and despite feeling like roadkill, I will play it when it gets home, even if only for half an hour and I will post a NGD thread.

Soon.

In the meantime,.......

WOMEN !!!!!
    :rant2: