Hellboy is being rebooted, Ron Perlman isn't coming back.

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by KnightBrolaire, May 8, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

2. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Can't say I'm surprised. He's kind of up there in age.

3. KnightBrolaire

yep, he's 67, way too old to keep him as hellboy.

4. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

I love Hellboy. I'm down, but Ron was SOOOOOO good as Hellboy.

5. KnightBrolaire

i know, harbour has his work cut out for him trying to fill those shoes.

6. astrocreep

astrocreep SS.org Regular

Neil Marshall is amazing, but that's still blasphemy!

7. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

no, c'mon! stop doing that!!

8. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Stupid. If GDT isn't connected, there's no point. Just do something else (preferably something original). Neil Marshall is GREAT at really gritty, violent things on a budget (ex Centurion, Dog Soldiers, The Descent, the big GOT episodes he did), not movies with likable, warm characters with massive budgets. This just sounds like a terrible idea.

I rewatched Hellboy 1/2 last week. 2 is my vote for single best "superhero" movie. Especially from a visual sense. It's possibly the most arty-looking "blockbuster" of all time.

It's surprising to me that Hellboy 1 doesn't get more credit for influencing Marvel flicks (it predates Iron Man by years). It really has all their strengths and all of their weaknesses. The best scenes are all just the heroes hanging out, it has really vivid characters, tons of great humor, and the villain is totally forgettable. It also ends with a frickin Sky Portal that will destroy the world, like pretty much everything from the last five years. Plus, lots of repetitive CGI drones that the heroes have to fight.

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I'm so sick of these reboots and remakes. Hollywood is floundering, but people are eating this garbage up left and right, so they keep going deeper and deeper with the reboots and remakes. Someone might come along and do something halfway original, but Hollywood will just reboot it two years later if it's a success. :(

10. KnightBrolaire

hopefully they don't feel the need to rehash the origin story like they did with batman (I don't need to see his parents get shot EVERY FVCKING MOVIE) or Spiderman or Superman. I always hoped that when Hellboy did well people would want to make movies about other cool heroes/antiheroes like Lobo or Grendel or hell, even Agent Venom. Maybe the studio execs finally realize there's a solid market for r-rated superhero films and cool stories like Lobo or Grendel's can get on screen now.

11. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I blame George Lucas. Just make the damn movie, then let it alone. I don't need to see Jabba the Hut where he doesn't belong or get a completely new movie to get rid of subtitles. And, as much as I like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I don't need to see it reshot with more T&A in 3D or updated sound effects. :rolleyes:

12. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

My thoughts exactly. I hope it works for them, but Neil Marshall has never displayed any penchant for directing "fun and laid back" (at least not from the stuff I've seen anyway, I'll admit I haven't seen his whole body of work). Action? Yes, but of the visceral, ultra-violent type, not necessarily the kinetic style that is dictated by comic book movies.

13. KnightBrolaire

Doomsday is about as funny as his films get and it's more of a mad-max esque dark humor. I think he'll do just fine, the real question is who's penning the script...

14. Beefmuffin

Beefmuffin New Boot Goofin

Doesn't matter if it sucks, we will just get another version from another director 5-10 years later. Maybe it will release the same time the 7th version of spider man comes out. Seriously......wtf is going on.

15. wankerness

I doubt they'll keep rebooting this, as the first two weren't particularly profitable. It isn't like Spiderman or X-Men. I'm really surprised they're even trying this first time.

16. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Nah, the first was way better than the second. I have a very good memory of watching that film in university, in a cinema course and Hellboy was the film which perfectly epitomized the transposition from a comic to the screen, how the colours are setting the mood, the camera work from different perspectives to enhance feelings, I learned a lot from that movie, it was something like 15 years ago, there weren't as many comic films as today. The second is a bit meh compared with that one.

17. wankerness

The first definitely isn't bad, but the visual design in the second is light-years beyond it. My guess is that since you got a big analysis of the first and not the second, you're now trained to recognize everything good in there and the second you haven't been trained to. Coming in blind to both, I think you'd see that the second is a visual feast in comparison. The only thing I think is worse in it at all is that Selma Blair is even more miscast in it (in the first she's supposed to be depressed and comes off as comatose, in the second she's supposed to be crabby and comes off as comatose).

From what I've seen from comics fans, they tend to dislike the second much more than the first as it's further away from the comics and more like "GDT putting his sketchbook on the screen," but as I've never even seen a page of the comics, it sure didn't bug me. The second has MUCH more elaborate visuals and the villain is actually interesting, plus it has the incredible Barry Manilow scene.

Man, I wish this site had collapsing spoiler tags instead of green highlight ones. Here's what I wrote about Hellboy 1/2 last week, but it's pretty lengthy.

Hellboy 1 - 6/10

This was like a prototype for the Marvel movies. There are really likable, vivid heroes whose interactions are great to watch, and there are plenty of jokes that land and even some pathos that work. But, there is a main villain who's almost completely forgettable who's got some vague plot full of macguffins and massively over-scaled climax with a SKY BEAM/PORTAL that's going to cause the end of the whole world, which has become a huge cliche over the last ten years and really started pissing everyone off after Suicide Squad. Plus, there are replicating identical CGI monsters that work as PG-13 fodder for our heroes (see also: Avengers 1, Avengers 2, Thor 2, Suicide Squad, etc).

The aforementioned replicating CGI monsters at least start off appearing one at a time, and the movie clearly made every attempt to have them practical whenever possible. They look like some kind of tentacle-faced apes, and I think they look really stupid, but oh well.

Most of the characters look great, particularly the bizarre gasmasked assassin guy with the clockwork key that he has to wind up before going on blade whirling sprees. The group of heroes either seems too small or too random, but those that exist are still likable. Ron Pearlman Hellboy himself is justly adored, though I don't know if they should have specified that "he's the equivalent of 20 years old." Abe the psychically attuned fish man is bizarre yet adorable, and the effects they used on him are again largely practical and still hold up as a result. Liz, the very emotionally shaky fire-lady, unfortunately had her arc stolen by FIRE HELL MAN or whatever his name is in suicide squad, but if you haven't seen that she's pretty good. Her character is definitely underdeveloped, but Selma Blair has such a great look (she looks like a really shaky version of Aubrey Plaza instead of a combative, bored, sarcastic one) that the character feels a lot deeper than it maybe was written.

The bad guy is Rasputin, apparently, and his nazi girlfriend (I missed the part that explained why she hadn't aged since the 40s, though I know it was in there). They basically just suck. It's hard to put a bead on why, but at no point did I care what they were doing or really understand his motivation for wanting to open a portal to hell and have huge Lovecraftian demons come and wipe out humanity. Ah well.

The action scenes are mostly fun, if obviously much smaller scale than scene in the later Marvel films. Again, I was sort of annoyed that they kept fighting the same stupid-looking tentacle apes, but oh well. The real strength of the movie is in the interpersonal relationships and in the goofy scenes like Hellboy spying on Liz and his FBI "handler's" date while talking to an admiring 9 year old on the rooftop. Much like some of the later Marvel movies. I'm surprised this never seems to come up when discussing them, it seems like MUCH more of an influence than any of the other precursors like the X-Men movies.

Hellboy 2 - 9/10

A peeved elf decides to retake earth from the humans, who broke their treaty from millennia ago to keep out of the forests. His twin, physically and psychically linked sister does not feel very good about this, and comes to Hellboy and co to stop him from reactivating the golden army, made up of indestructible clockwork golems.

From an artistic point of view, this might be the best-looking big-budget CGI film of all time. The visual invention is off the charts. It's relentless, too, with one set-piece after another. The visual highlight from a spectacle sense is probably the climax, which despite being the heroes fighting an army of interchangeable CGI minions which also happen to be big robots REALLY works and is the only example of either of those tiresome tropes that really does it right. However, the most impressive visuals are possibly just some of the gorgeous sets, particularly the fading underground home of the elves, and the intricate rooms that the princess takes refuge in within the troll market. I have a fondness for the scene with the gigantic lima bean monster which has a death scene that's unexpectedly poignant, and suggests Guillermo Del Toro was also familiar with those deleted scenes from Godzilla Vs Biollante and wanted to execute the idea properly!! There are a few such scenes here which are truly beautiful, and Danny Elfman’s score rises to the occasion.

The introduction to the movie is another high point, and I feel like I've seen it ripped off in another recent blockbuster, but I might be wrong. The only specific things that come to mind are the handful of extremely stylized partially static cutscenes in Dragon Age 2 (some early backstory and the ending FMVs) and World of Warcraft (the Illidan scenes in Legion). It's a very stylized sequence explaining the history of the elves and humans, and depicting the Golden Army. It almost looks like stop motion, with the races and robots all depicted as crude puppets, saving the reveals for later.

The elves have a great look here, diverging strongly from the usual “impossibly beautiful tall people with pointy ears and long hair.” Here, they have that general outline, but have deathly white skin, reddish eyes, no eyebrows, pinpoint pupils, white hair, and some kind of scarification on their faces. They end up looking more like particularly sickly vampire elves. There are plenty of other critters here, with the troll market alone having about as many varieties as Jabba’s palace, but other memorable monsters are all over the place. The most striking one is likely the angel of death seen towards the end, with ratty bird wings covered with eyeballs and a huge bone ridge in place of eyes.

There’s a plot thread about Hellboy’s about siding with the creatures instead of the humans, and it seems the filmmakers sided with the former. The imagination on display here is unparalleled. The only other recent blockbusters I can think of that even come close are Avatar (some great fauna, but not nearly as fun overall, and the stupid blue Navi feel way too compromised to ensure maximum audience horniness) and Guardians of the Galaxy (great visuals, tons of color, but way too many aliens are just “people that are some other color and maybe with some antennae”).

From a character/plot standpoint, this one works a lot better than the previous. It’s much more focused, with basically all events focused entirely on the elf prince’s goal of destroying the world. Most of the subplots come directly from this, most amusingly Abe’s awkward infatuation with the elf princess (and the wonderful resulting scene in which he and Hellboy get drunk and sing along with Barry Manilow’s “Can’t Smile Without You”). There’s one major new non-elf character, which is a German gas cloud in a steampunk suit who is hired to oversee the squad after too many infractions. He’s unfortunately voiced by Seth McFarlane, but it’s not distracting.

It’s not flawless, of course. The entire subplot with Hellboy and Liz’s romantic problems falls flat, partly due to Selma Blair not being nearly as good as this frustrated, confident version of Liz. There are two terrible non-diegetic rock music cues which stick out like sore thumbs. Other than that, though, it’s about as good as it possibly could be. What it lacks in emotional depth, it more than makes up for in the massive overachievement in visual spectacle. This is easily one of the best-looking films of the century so far.

18. fps

fps Kit

Hellboy 3 is the great film that never got made. No idea how that didn't happen, I mourn that it didn't happen. Especially since I'm not generally a fan of comic book movies and most of them have been utter cack.

19. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I think the second is better visually in your opinion because the first one purposefully didn't pay so much attention to it, trying to depict an approach more focused on introducing the character, the plot and showing rawness as a director aesthetic interest. Just my opinion though, I didn't see it blindly, I was able to transpose that "training" with the one to other films in general, as we analized 12 films of different styles in the course I mentioned.

20. wankerness

Bad typo!