HELIX LT?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by duffbeer33, Nov 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 ..working on my mix Contributor

I'm strongly considering investing in a Helix LT pedal for my recordings and am interested to hear anyone's feedback on it. From what I can tell it has received excellent reviews. Is it simple enough to re-amp with this pedal if needed? I record mostly hard rock and metal, and am used to using VST sims which allow for simple re-amping. I'm just wondering how much of an adjustment it would be and interested to hear other experiences.

2. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

It's fairly easy. You have to set up your DAW to record two channels with a guitar track - one for the USB 1/2 where the main effected Helix signal is coming through, then another track on USB 7/8 which is where the Helix kicks out the dry reamped track by default.

Once you get that dry track, you can send it back through the Helix by changing the source of the Input block to that same USB setting (instead of "Guitar In" or "Aux In"). It's a little tricky the first time you do it, but once it works....you're golden.

duffbeer33 likes this.
  3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

If you're just going to use it as a studio tool why don't you just grab Helix Native (VST)? Assuming you have a decent interface already then save a bunch of money and get Helix Native. If you have other Line 6 gear you can get a discount on the price as well. Moreover, you can test to see if you even like it with their free trial period of Helix Native.

duffbeer33 and Elric like this.
  4. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Yes, this. Definitely demo it right now. It may or may NOT really be for you... TBH, I found the Helix underwhelming.

I think a lot of people love the excellent interface and gorgeous industrial design of the hardware and are amazed that an L6 device does not straight up sound bad (which is mostly because it can load user IRs) so they end up convincing themselves it is good. But, compared to other devices in the same class: Amplifire, Kemper, Fractal, it does not cut it, IMHO. It feels like a POD HD with an IR loader. Eveyone has an opinion though so demo for yourself. :argue:

Demo TH3, Amplutibe Mesa, Mercuriall, Revalver, TSE, Thermionik, etc as plugins, too. There is no reason to go hardware if you already have the computer and interface and are not playing out with it, modern plugins are crazy good. Really, Native only lands in the middle of that pack for me.

duffbeer33 and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  5. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but the dimestore psychology on your part is just kinda weird. I've not "convinced myself" of anything. I've had an AX8 twice. Amplifire three times. I didn't need to keep any of them. I'm blessed to enough to be able to toy with these higher tier units when kids, youth sports and work don't completely occupy my time.

Anyhoo....no unit is for everyone just like the Amplifire and AX8 are definitely not enough for me - as a primary rig anyway. The Helix interface is awesome, but since it's inaudible, that doesn't do a working musician much good. It sounds amazing and absolutely rates with all of the best units out there.

duffbeer33 and PBGas like this.
  6. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

Couldn't disagree more...I had a pod hd and hated it. I have a helix and really enjoy it. They are completely different in nearly every way.

PBGas and mikah912 like this.
  7. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Not to mention, I'm making some incredible tones with just the default cabs now. It doesn't take a bunch of EQ blocks or brain surgeon experience.

PBGas likes this.
  8. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Of course. I did too. And I have Helix Native and I used the HD with an IR loader. ;) That's why I said it; because it aligned with my opinion/experience. Glad you dig yours. Lots of people have bought into the Helix platform.

Point stands wrt OP's needs and the idea that he might want to demo either the H/W unit or plugin as well as look at some other stuff since opinions do vary on this. The price of the LT is more than it would be worth to me. Once you hear the high end fizziness on the L6 stuff it seems like you can't unhear it thereafter. IMHO.

9. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

There's not a monolithic sonic signature that reaches across the Pod, Pod HD and Helix. There just isn't. That's complete FUD, man.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  10. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

The fizz is only added when the Line 6 logo is adhered.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  11. HerbalDude420

HerbalDude420 SS.org Regular

I have had a MiniRec, 6505+, Engater Armageddon, Peavey XXX, Valveking, Bugera 333XL, Trirec infinium models. All of these amps have fizz to varying amounts a little fizz also helps you cut threw most people use an EQ with all these amps anyway. The fizz can be cut out with a simple Hi Low cut. The line 6 helix is a great sounding piece of gear I absolutely love it way more versatility than any of these amps. Sounds good with a cab in the room style playing or FRFR. Also the helix sounds just as good as Amplifire, Kemper, Fractal offerings its just in a different package. Just cuz line 6 is in front of the name doesn't mean s**t. That and at the end of the day your audience does not give a crap what you use.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  12. duffbeer33

Thanks for the advice, guys, all very useful. I won't be playing out with the pedal. I actually just sold off my Mesa Boogie Rectoverb, sadly, because I don't play with a band anymore. So I'm only doing recording at home these days. I hadn't even considered giving the native a shot. I will demo that. I have used Bx_rockrack for the past few years, and liked it, but am looking for more options/effects, and more options for amps in general, and have only seen good things about the HELIX.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  13. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

There is no upside to me saying this if I don’t really hear it. I really wanted to save anywhere from $1000 to $2000 by going Helix.... It’s fair for you to say you don’t hear it, but it’s not fair for you to say I don’t. When I A/B same amp models directly in the room it is pretty easy for me to hear how inferior the HX is for heavy stuff. It has an unnatural high gain buzz I cannot dial out without a bunch of EQ or tedious IR auditioning (takes much longer than other devices because the starting point is farther off) on most amps past crunch mode. It has nothing to do with it being L6 brand it has to do with it sounding not as good as competing products for the same applications. Shrug.

Just saying OP should demo when dropping a grand on a digital device; especially when it is so damn easy to. He may love it just like you, I’m not saying he won’t but that I KNOW of at least one person who DEFINITELY feels it is unimpressive after giving it a fair shot with high hopes.

Seriously, I hope they fix it someday so I can sell a bunch of stuff before it all loses value, I’ll make a profit and streamline my rig. Not there yet though. **IMHO**

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  14. HerbalDude420

HerbalDude420 SS.org Regular

What firmware version did you try the helix at? Also was it setup right these can make a world of difference having guitar pad on in the global settings makes a difference. Unless you set it up correctly for your gear a true A/B would be hard to simulate.

15. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Your initial point is pretty funny considering you entered this thread full of wide-ranging assumptions of how Helix owners had to somehow "convince" themselves of its fidelity and that Line 6 somehow has a magical "fizziness" that exists across 3-4 generations of modeling engines despite having those engines coded to completely differently DSP by various engineers modeling different amps.

Of course, I don't presume to tell you what you hear. Just like I don't presume to tell John Browne what he hears when he says all Fractal modeling has an annoying midhump that he can't dial out - and I don't hear that either.

Also funny is you dismissing the HX engine for "heavy stuff" when that is the pro area it's caught on fastest from Annihilator to Scale the Summit to The Contortionist to Uneven Structure to Jeff Loomis to Byzantine and more. At least one guitarist in all of those bands is using the Helix as an amp modeler for both stage and studio. All of them were real tube amps users previously who had their "real" rigs to A/B it against too.

There's nothing for them to "fix" just like Fractal and Atomic Amps have nothing to "fix" for me. Just not your cup of tea. No need to insult the people who like it. No need to insult Line 6's engineers who - in your estimation - have apparently learned nothing or done nothing different in 20 years, redeemed only by third party IRs. But it's an unfortunate thing I see from too many Fractal users: enjoyment of the product is contingent on crapping on competitors.....

TheRileyOBrien, BubbleWrap and rahnvu like this.
  16. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

*sets coffee down for ten seconds to turn down global EQ low-pass filter included in last four generations of Line 6 multi-fix units*

Ah, to have read the manual.

BubbleWrap likes this.
  17. duffbeer33

Started testing it last night. At first I was underwhelmed, but started tweaking a bit and seeing good results. I'm not a tone junkie, but want to have the ability to go from thick snarling metal tones to shimmery cleans, with a lot of options for effects. The ability to re-amp on the fly is huge for me too. Had absolutely zero problems installing this thing and using it on Reaper, so that's a major plus.

AkiraSpectrum and mikah912 like this.