HeadRush Pedalboard

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by robski92, Jan 9, 2017.

1. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Looks pretty interesting. The touch interface is really cool. Price-wise it appears to be in the ball-park of the Line 6 Helix LT. Now we just need Ola to do a shoot-out between HeadRush and Line 6 Helix LT.

2. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

I'd like to hear Ola's Axe and Kemper presets go head to head with the Headrush.

3. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

Not sure yet how i feel about the neutral color tones though...

4. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Pretty obvious the marketing push for this is on, everybody and their brother that does demos has one of these and is posting videos :lol:

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Ive been searching for a Kemper like floor controller for practices/gigs that ISNT Line 6 as Ive been burnt by them too often and spent too much on their various versions of products over the years.

Seeing as Kemper do not seem to want to make a floor board all in one, and the Helix is off as an option for me, this seems interesting. Much less money than all the others and looks and works better imo. The drag and drop is amazing and the no hands patch editing is a quality feature.

Im interested, especially having IR loader because then I would not need my Torpedo CAB and would free up pedal board room (and could sell it)

6. domsch1988

domsch1988 SS.org Regular

I'm more interested in the corresponding PC Software (if there is any). No matter how nice and touchy and drag and drop, i always find editing stuff on the floorboard a chore.

It sounded really nice. Ola way capable of producing "his sound" with the unit. I'm not impressed by the selection of fx though. I'm 100% sure the kemper fills a different role for most people. The kemper is in the position of addressing a different usertype than every other modeler on the market.
    I can see this going head to head with the helix though. The lower price and nicer interface could be a deciding factor for many "hobby" guitarists. Most "professionals" might be wary of the durability (as many have stated already).

Since i already own a kemper, i'm not really interested in this thing. But having another viable competitor in the market is always a good thing. Plus seeing something like this makes me realize again how archaic and cumbersome the UI/UX of the kemper really is :wallbash:. They need to step up their game!

7. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Ola's demo of this was pretty cool, I like how dead simple it looks to use.

I'd be interested in trying one of these out. Since I only have 1 pedal and a very simple setup this would already expand massively on that.

8. Paul McAleer

Paul McAleer newborn baby

I had the chance to demo the device for a few hours over at Guitar Center in Arizona,

Aside from the GC employees not being able to operate it properly I actually had to set it up for them proper?? :erk: (after it's been there for a little time, I've glanced by it before I watched reviews on it really.)

From my word of mouth, obviously, the touch screen interface is very very simple to use. Basically the whole is nice. (Drag drop, tap on/tap off, hold for a second if I remember correctly it's been a few weeks and I've been drinking some tin cup whiskey right now. Tanking it.)

The GC employee's didn't mind me fvcking with it too much since they didn't know what to do with it on display. I've tested it with an Ernie Ball Jp6 and your run of the mill newer Ibanez RG8 (only because different woods from first production? idk whatever.) With the Alto FRFR??? Speakers.

Anyways

(IT'S POWERED BY AN HD ELEVEN RACK) at least from what's labeled on it...

Tone wise:

RG8 and it's stock pickups (What are they? Colt Bass pickups?) It has seemed to struggled a bit with clarity which isn't too much a surprise, being stock and all the random strings that GC had on it. JP6 did pretty well with clean tones.

1. Amps. Majority of my time was spent with the...

Recto sim, which itself felt well... Not so much like a recto (I'm not having high expectations honestly idk.) For me it felt and sounded like nothing like a recto, nor had that crazy bass or mids to it personally o_O. Using their TS808 or Ibanez Tube screamer Sim or whatever, it had become very fizzy and unmanageable for myself :erk: Even with using the High/Low filters. Lowering gain on the sim (which it needs lots of to get anything out of it??:facepalm: and the Master Volume. The Parametric EQ helped a good amount with getting a decent tone out of it, mainly so on the RG8. Boosting the Main Db's and cutting off the low Freqs. Then itself had still felt a bit underwhelming, but can be useable maybe. Which until then I had to use the input Gates on both TS/Para EQ. Still overall wasn't excited about it.. I'm sure the other customers weren't too pleased with me cranking it and shuggah'ing on the thing. Idc fight me, I'm testing a product...

Clean tones, I've messed with a few low gain amp sims, mainly trying them out for vintage-y or clean tones with the jp6 and a bit of the RG8 and it sounded pretty nice to me, I didn't need much adjustments to a lot of the parameters in the unit. Typical playing and 2 hand tapping techniques felt nice to me on the unit. I can't remember if I had any Boosts engaged or not. Whatever.

2. Stock Impulses / different in mics / different % percentages of air / or whatever it had included. Maybe of the positions. Stock cabs are very Meh for me. The Mics have made the most differences for me and adjusting parameters. I think you can put your own IR's into this thing which may help it exponentially even. I didn't get the chance to have fun with that.

TL;RD... Your mileage may vary, this is my experience on it!!! :lalala:

Pros:

1. GUI is nice, touch screen felt nice, simple to use and I didn't even read their manual!

2. Ease of use is there after some fiddling. It's a quick process.

3. Clean tones sounded nice to me personally.

Cons:

1. Heavy tones were uninspiring.

2. Cabs felt aren't there for me

3. Feeling wasn't there, though clean tones maybe

4. I'm not sure about the longevity of build quality, not protection bars or whatever. (pedal felt nice to me though)

What I don't know:

1. I didn't delve in completely into the effects

2. I don't know if there's even deeper parameters towards the amp sims and whatever...

Anyways...It's cool that there's a new product out there for people, and that at least it's there for people to mess with and have a better time than I have had on it.. It's nice messing with something new. This product can be useful to someone, maybe even more if they place their own IR's into it maybe even? Idk. Hail sat4n

Hope this helps anyone, this was just my several hours of experience on it..

For now I'm tanked :drew:

PS: I didn't mess with stock presets

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  9. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone else with experience with this unit can chime in. Been quite interested in it and generally impressed with the vids and sounds I've heard from it outside of one thing - the Recto tone. I agree with Paul above that from what I've heard the Recto tone sounds nothing like a Recto. It's missing that growl and bass - but I've never tried it in person yet. Being Recto's are my personal favorite that's the tone I always use so seems pretty important. Anyhow, if anyone has anything else to share please do!

Rev.

10. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

So, bought it to try out. It's going back. It's not bad, pretty cool actually, especially the interface - very quick and easy to use which saves time which = more playing.
    The pros:
    Great interface
    Great foot control of parameters
    No restrictions with effect placements
    Very powerful cpu (I tried maxing it by doing two models then also engaging 2x for each amp and filling all FX slots no problem!)
    Very flexible pedal assignments and scribble strips
    IR loading
    Super easy PC backup and transfer
    Etc - you all know the rest

The cons:
    Amp modeling still sounds somewhat outdated and digital.
    Larger than most other pedalboards
    Heavier than most pedalboards
    Less effects available than most pedal boards
    Priced a bit high for the amount of effects and modeling quality - but touch screens are gonna cost more obviously
    Many effects have less parameters to adjust than on comparable units
    No amp channel switching without a midi-amp switchbox

Overall it's a great unit and a huge step in the right direction, one I think many will copy going forward. But I bought it cause I want a modeler upgrade from my POD HD and my POD HD still beats it. I owned a triple rec for years and the POD HD patch I made is really close but still not fully there, but it still beats the Headrush which no matter what I did has this digital clipping kind of sound. No I wasn't going in too hot, guitar direct in and I lowered the input gain to test anyhow. Tried IR's, not an improvement at all - the Headrush cabs actually did a better job than the few Celestion IR's I tried. But that digital sound is in the amp model.

Anyhow, so it's going back. That's my brief experience with it. Overall I like it a ton. But for almost a grand (got the 15% off) to still not sound better than the POD HD when it comes to modeling a Recto I can't justify keeping it.

Rev.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  11. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Thanks for the review; if you can't get a better tone with something you already have then you definitely made the right decision to ditch it.
    It's too bad that at the price point the modelling couldn't be more realistic/genuine. Seems they put all their time/effort into the interface rather than the modelling.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

IIRC the modeling is basically just the 11R modeling without much tweaking.

13. HerbalDude420

HerbalDude420 SS.org Regular

Helix LT or Headrush?

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

If the HD modeling is superior to the HR modeling, I think you know the answer.

15. HerbalDude420

HerbalDude420 SS.org Regular

Also there is no fair comparison to be had just yet since the helix has been out for a couple years almost and the headrush just came out recently. One has better IR's to be found and countless firmware updates. On another note what is the difference between Helix and Helix LT?

16. Necros

Necros SS.org Regular

Looking to buy this, but the discouraging Recto modelling quality holds me back. Has there been any firmware updates that made things better? i also heard that Avid has a tendency to ditch their products mid-lifespan.

17. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

What's the point of releasing something new in the modelling world today if the modelling itself is still going to be years behind?

18. Necros

Necros SS.org Regular

Ehm, to progress the modelling so it doesnt lag even more behind?

19. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

But the modelling in the headrush is basically ancient by todays standards?

20. Necros

Necros SS.org Regular

Hows that? it only came out this year and its not really in the price range of, say, AX8 or Helix, its a much better alternative to something like POD HD500X, and from the comparison tests ive heard between those 4, i liked the Headrush and AX8 the best.