Headless build underway! - lush Purple burst content!

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by lewis, Sep 14, 2017.

1. exo

exo SS.org Regular

At this point, the only things giving me pause are the neck profile/thickness, which I have zero info on, and the jack placement, which runs completely counter to the design ergonomics and playing in a "classical" position, and is the entire function of the body design where the controls are. That REALLY needs to be in a different spot from a "design" point of view......

It is absolutely beautiful to look at, man.

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Yeah the neck might be average. It looks identical to the Yamaha neck I have on my current shreddy guitar. And to be honest Ive adapted to that and can play super fast so hopefully its more of the same as that.

The input Jack I imagine, could be requested to be relocated. He seems completely fine with things like that as he was with my strap button relocation request.

I play classic position mainly when Im sitting so yeah maybe this jack location will be a problem for that. I should of thought about that I guess.

Yeah the top and colours are mesmerising tbh haha. I keep looking at it every day and being just as "wow" as times before.

3. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

The jack placement is a bit of a bummer. A good chunk of the shape's benefit is that those weird curves aren't just for show. Considering it looks nice from a distance, at least you can rest assured that it'd make one hell of a decoration at the very least. lol

I'm not a huge fan of the colors personally though. Not enough purple for my gaudy tastes. Certainly not ugly, but not my personal cup of tea. Can't wait to hear how it plays. Not sure if you mentioned it or not, but make sure to let us know how it plays out of the box before mods (and after, if you do them.) I'm assuming the pickups will be trash. I'm more curious about how the bridge functions, how accurate the intonation is, sharp fret ends, crooked anything, etc. So long as the neck isn't warped or the glue joints aren't shit, it seems like pretty smooth sailing since everything at least sort of looks in order. Unless there's an angles game or something, everything that's changeable seems to be the only place for error at this point.

lewis likes this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

absolutely will do bud!.

I will tune it to whichever tension on the stock gauges makes sense (will be a drop tuning), then take shots/measurements of action height and document intonation, fret ends, height etc etc.
    Will check for Neck straightness too. There will likely be fret buzz unless the guy is some sort of god and we dont know it haha.
    Im going to fine toothecomb it for sure.

on the face of it, the Bridge and how it functions actually really appeals to me personally.

Sidenote, have you seen there is a VERY Purple one on offer? -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

farren and bostjan like this.
  5. Señor Voorhees

That one is DEFINITELY way more up my alley. Ideally a darker purple, but that light purple is also very tasty. To be honest, I'm super curious about the hardware. Usually on these Chinese guitars the first to things to go are the pickups and the tuners. Headless tuners are much more difficult to swap out obviously since the market is so niche, so I'm wondering how well it'll hold up.

However, I despise the boden shape so I'm not exactly in the market for one of these regardless. I am just very interested to see how things go for you. Pretty interesting times we live in where you can get damn near anything under the sun made for dirt cheap. (morals aside)

6. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

And here I am stripping the dark purple stain from my Strandberg because I hate it.

7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

still had no further tracking info updates since the 27th when it changed to "Released from customs".

Im going on Holiday for a week from the 6th so its a bit of nightmare now. Didnt anticipate it to take this long and overlap my booked holiday for my birthday.

I phoned Parcel force this morning to enquire about it because my logic was, if there is charges to pay its quicker to do it now over the phone, than potentially wait another week for some 2nd class post to arrive telling me about charges. Especially with the holiday.
    Anyway, the dude was quite helpful and told me to expect another tracking update tomorrow as it reaches the delivery depot and also said it looks like there wont be any charges for me either.

So fingers crossed I get it before Monday.
    otherwise Im going to have to inform them I want it delivered the week after Im back which means trusting them to hold the guitar for an additional week and hope it does not get stored badly or trashed.

Im abit worried now. It seems ridiculous to me it can get from China to England in a couple of days but then take weeeeeeks to get from Customs to my address one in the country?.

exo likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Here is his "darker Purple" one -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ok slightly worrying update:

as I said above, via a phone call I made today they (parcelforce the courier) told me that I can expect an update tomorrow and that Its looking like I wont have any Custom charges.

fast track to this evening and Ive had an email from Parcel force from a response to an earlier email I sent them before the phone call, asking about info on the situation, and the woman who emailed me has said it looks like UKBF (UK Border Force/Customs) has seized my order!!!! and to phone them to sort it on a provided phone number. Ive tried and it just rings and rings.

So how can I get such conflicting stories from the same company (parcelforce?)
    worrying thing is the tracking tells me it has CLEARED CUSTOMS?
    Its really confusing and I dont know what to think right now until I can get hold of someone on the phone from customs tomorrow (here it is 6:30pm right now). Hopefully someone answers tomorrow. Im reading online they destroy goods they seize....!??!!

anyone got any advice?.
    If it has been seized how can my Parcel force tracking state its cleared customs?. And how can Parcel force today tell me its got no problems and on the way only to be emailed this evening telling me the opposite?

Starting to stress about it.

10. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I just got a package in the mail, and it came from Russia. The updates on the tracker showed 1) Russia, then 10 days later, 2) New York, then 20 MINUTES later, Jamaica, then one day later 3) Sacramento, and then later that day it just showed up at my doorstep. So, long story short, don't panic yet. Sometimes package tracking isn't all that accurate. But, don't assume there won't be customs fees. For me (at least in the USA), it appears to be random.

11. Señor Voorhees

This one is definitely way more up my alley. I even prefer the dark fretboard.

Hopefully you get a handle on things, but that's another risk with ordering Chinese guitars. I know I've heard of a few Gibson clones getting intercepted in the past.

Good luck, and I hope to hear good things in the coming days.

12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Parcelforce is the worst. Never trust their tracking. I frequently get no updates until it's delivered and then a full itinerary all at once.

Shame we privatised Royal Mail, really.

lewis likes this.
  13. Señor Voorhees

This is the case with most courier services it seems. Just today I had a package arrive from California and there were zero updates all week. Got delivered and all of a sudden a million tracking updates happened all at once. FedEx is notorious for it in my experience.

lewis and thesnowdog like this.
  14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Very fair assessment. Parcelforce/Royal Mail is the worst for a variety of other reasons, though.

15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Heard back from Customs......they have no record of my parcel??...

And are telling me to assume its stuck in a backlog of guitars waiting to be checked they are not Chibsons etc..

16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

So basically neither customs nor Parcelforce can tell me where it is, whats the situation with it, whether i have fees/tax to pay etc. What a complete shambles hahah

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

:facepalm::lol:

Update: Hold on to your hats.

So after customs told me they have no record of it, I phone Parcelforce. They once again told me their system says its been seized by UKBF and they would try and get hold of someone to confirm it. She came back and said no one answers (the same problem I had at first) and told her to leave it with her and someone would speak to me.

after this phone call Im tracking down other UKBF contact numbers and my phone rings. Parcelforce again. This time a really rude and very blunt man telling me that it HAS been seized on the 27th of October and now that its with a government agency, they are basically wanting no more part of proceedings. He was a complete douche. He gave me a different phone number for UKBF (the only nice thing he did).

I ring UK Border Force (who according to Parcelforce, have seized my guitar). I speak to someone there and she takes my info and confirms to me they do not have it and any record of it. She then tells me to email the seized package department, which I informed her I already had and they too have told me they have no seized it and have no record of it. To which she informs me that the problem 100% now rests with Parcelforce and the most likely scenario is they have "lost it". *Sigh*.

So back on the phone to Parcelforce I go but this time to open up an official complain against them for "lost parcels".
    The guy I speak to about it, bluntly tells me "To be honest I dont know what I can do to help you with this and we are looking at ages probably before its resolved".
    I tell him that it clearly has NOT been seized despite what Parcelforce have been adamantly telling me since the 27th. He says he will open a case to investigate what has happened to my guitar.

I ask him if its likely someone within Parcelforce had stolen it and just marked it as "seized" to try and cover their tracks and he claims they would be stupid to do that because they would get caught. I informed him what was inside the package, the colour of the guitar and the company it came from (Grote).
    So basically its gone completely missing. Customs dont have it and have not seized it, and Parcelforce thought they had it, because they dont and havent got a clue what has happened.

(Parcel force are the best...........)

So I think I may need to get my money back because it seems to me the chances of ever seeing the guitar now based off all this info, seems non existent.
    What a complete waste of time and money. Took like 2 months to build, finally shipped and got from China to the UK in 2 days. The second it reaches our shit country, it gets stolen/lost and all involved want to point fingers at each other rather than take responsibility for it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Wolfhorsky and khm like this.
  18. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

ah shit that is weak

lewis likes this.
  19. narad

narad SS.org Regular

It has that "watched pot never boils" feel -- you really were excited about this and were following up with every step of the shipping, so of course you're the one out of 500 guy to have a serious issue!

But I wouldn't worry about it -- things tend to turn up. I doubt anyone is going to risk their job to steal a $300 Chinese headless guitar.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yeah basically in a nutshell.
    I have put in for a refund because the way I see it. The seller has 5 days from now to do it or Aliexpress get involved, but in that time it may turn up and I can close the dispute so seems a win/win for me at this stage.

Either its 100% lost thanks to Parcelforce being parcelforce and i get my money back, or the guitar turns up and I get the guitar.