Headless 8 build

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by cip 123, May 10, 2018.

1. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Figured I'd start off an actual thread for this build other than the "Let's talk wood" thread which is there just to talk about working with different types of wood etc.

Idea for this was needing something light to play since I get a terrible sore back and neck on stage, and I've always loved headless guitars but never really gotten in to the whole rear cut out thing. So I wanted a shape that still looked pretty traditional. A lot of the rear will be carved out somewhat like a Varberg.

It's currently an Ash body with an Applewood top, using a Mahogany neck just now as a test I'd much rather have some Ash and use an Applewood fretboard to keep with the wood themes already in place.

Mera headless hardware, Dmitry is pretty cool, gives his own advice for your builds if you need it which is helpful. It did take a while for it to arrive though I think I just didn't realise they had to be built yet. Ordered in January arrived late March. They seem to be super smooth when turning so hopefully they work out well.

Gonna go with sopabar 8 pups, probably Fishman abasi's when I get another job and can afford them :lol:

Anyway pics -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is also my first actual build so you can see some mistakes already, few chips from the router getting away. Currently have to move the neck deeper to accommodate for me measuring the bridge/pickup spacing wrong. But once it's done those knots of the Applewood should be right between the pickups. Debating if I should go with clear resin or coloured for those.

lewis likes this.
  2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Tinted resin with LEDs underneath so they GLOW

cip 123 likes this.
  3. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Oh now there is an idea...

4. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

5. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

That is a pretty good deal thanks for the heads up. I was gonna stick some carbon rods in too.

I'd buy it right now, but currently unemployed and funds are tight, gotta shift some stuff before buying anything else even if it is cheap! But good to know another seller on Ebay with woods anyway :)

6. IGC

IGC OCDG

Sweet on your way. Do you have any ideas for carving the top (horns etc), neck profile, scale length, finish yet? Just gonna figure it out as you go?

7. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

The back will curve right down to a flat section, but keeping room for a forearm carve with the applewood. Lower horn will get carved out on the top and back for access. Top horn I'm still undecided but I have a few ideas.

Scale length is similar to strandberg but shorter a 27.5-26.5 which is pretty perfect for me I don't need 28 on the low end for tension and I have big hands as 26.5 gives a bit of extra room up the top. Perpendicular fret at the 6 fret.

As far as neck carve goes I was gone a base it off my MTD bass which is asymmetrical. It's thicker on the low side and slimmer on the top end, in like an offset C shape.

But pretty much all of it has been free hand which I'm okay with as a beginner as it means I really gotta get good quick :lol:

8. IGC

IGC OCDG

Sounds good