Having some issues making my Kiesel AM8 sound decent

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Cheeseshark, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Cheeseshark

Cheeseshark SS.org Regular

So a while back, I wanna say a few months maybe, I finally got my Kiesel AM8. I was ecstatic, it looked awesome (white body, black hardware and ebony board) and felt great to me, a massive improvement over my previous Epi Les Paul obviously. But at some point I started to notice that the rhythm tones left a lot to be desired. They have no 'punch', for lack of a better word, when I hit palm muted notes. Not only that, it sounded like it had no output.

For a while I messed around with my amp settings, I'd heard that dialing in tones for an ERG was pretty different. Didn't help much at all. I got an OD pedal, to less than amazing results. I slapped some new pickups in, Instrumental SFTY-3s, which I'm not having some issues with regarding cavity size. Then I thought maybe my amp was the problem, I'd had it two years without a tube swap or any maintenance after all. The point is, I can't seem to fix it. And of course, like an idiot, I spent so much time trying to fix it at home thinking that it was my fault, that I'm now well bast the send-back date. So now I figure that if any forum will have some solutions, it'll be you guys. Should I be getting my guitar checked out, my amp? I'm kinda out of ideas, and frankly, my Epiphone is the better sounding guitar at this point.
    TL;DR: my Kiesel sounds super low output and weak, especially on the 7th and 8th strings, halp.

Oh, and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. The Gear & Equipment section looked like it was really only for amps and the like. Please let me know if this is the wrong spot though.

P.S.: It's worth mentioning that I've been messing around with that OD pedal lately, and it does sound better. But mostly the sixth string. The seventh is moderately better, and I wouldn't even dream of using the eigth for.
    P.P.S: The amp is a Peavey 6505+ combo, if that matters.

2. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

something is very wrong here. My AM7 is very lively. Maybe the electronics for the pickups are screwed up?
    Or is this issue preference in tone, or drastically weak?

3. Gray

Gray SS.org Regular

Sounds like bad wiring to me

4. Cheeseshark

I don't think it's a preference thing, because no matter what I do to the settings, it never goes above a certain sound. If it was just lower output it'd be understandable, but it's more like it's insanely weak. I can provide some clips, albeit subpar ones from my phone, as well as my settings if you guys think that it would help to verify. But even with quite high pre-gain and high end, it just doesn't get a decent metal tone. Only with an OD pedal, and even then the low strings are meh. I just wanna learn Tosin riffs, but this eigth string is basically only useful for chords on a clean tone.

Yeah, that's basically what I'm thinking. I've had the pickups swapped, but I'm not sure if that'd be a fix for that.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

sfty3's definitely shouldn't sound weak... must be a wiring issue or such . post a photo of the wiring.

6. Cheeseshark

Yeah, that's basically what I'm thinking. I've had the pickups swapped, but I'm not sure if that'd be a fix for that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking. Admittedly they're set lower than I'd like due to that cavity size issue, but I'm not sure if that would contribute to the issue to this degree.

Here's a picture. I'm not sure how much this helps, because I didn't know what you'd need to see. Let me know if I need to take another with some stuff moved out of the way.
    https://imgur.com/04BRbQY

7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Sounds like a wiring issue. Something like s not grounded right or wired out of phase. Or the switch is wonky.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

is that a 3 way or 5 way switch? can you take some other shots showing all the solder joints?

9. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Just echoing the wiring issues here, if you've had it rewired with new pickups, then my only thoughts would be a ground issue or the components themselves (pots/switch)

10. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Are you plugging into the piezos or normal output?

11. Cheeseshark

Sorry about such a late response. So I tried taking more pictures of the joints. I've linked them below, sorry in advance that most of them are fairly blurry, the camera on my phone didn't seem to want to focus no matter what I did. Let me know if they're unusable.

To answer the questions, it's a five way switch, and I'm plugging into the normal jack as opposed to the piezo one. And even it's probably redundant, I still feel the need to mention that this guitar does have a piezo system. Not sure if that's important though.

Oh, also worth mentioning that I'm gonna be dropping it at a shop for a short while soon enough hopefully. Any particular things I should ask him to look for? He didn't seem to notice anything before, but it might help if he has an idea.

Thanks for your help so far everyone.

The images:
    https://imgur.com/a/shbCY
    Again, most of them are pretty blurry, hopefully you can get something from a few of them though. Just say the word and I'll try again for some better ones. It's late here right now is all.

12. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

The piezo output should only work if something is plugged into the other jack, as well. At least that's my understanding...but definitely something to at least try as it costs nothing and I could be completely wrong! Ha!

13. Cheeseshark

Nah, you're right. The piezo output is just for if you wanna have it hooked up to an acoustic amp and a normal amp simultaneously or something. Otherwise the piezo output makes no sound, and it all goes through the normal one.

14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Wait have you changed the battery?

And wait they can make a piezo with the single saddles? Kiesel keeps doing things I want. Hmmmm.

15. Cheeseshark

Wow, sorry about responding to this so late! I didn't even notice it. But yes, I have changed the battery before. I forgot that it had a battery in it at first, and wondered why my guitar sounded so dead after a month haha. I learned my lesson and now keep it unplugged when not playing.

16. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Can you post a sound sample?

17. Cheeseshark

Yes! My guitar is in the shop, but I got some beforehand. All I have is a cell phone, so sorry if it's not exactly the most helpful example. This one is just random stuff on the low E to show how it sounds for that sorta thing. When you hear an audible click is when I turn on the OD to show how it sounds with that. Note that this is with settings like high end up at 6 or 7, pre-gain on 7 or so, low end near zero etc. Should way more saturated I think, but it sounds weak. And this is on a Peavey 6505+ combo.
    https://vocaroo.com/i/s0maKQN80lj8

Also, if I found that my pickups weren't as hot as they should be, like the ohms are lower or whatever, can that be blamed on my guitar? Like, can my guitar affect that, or is that entirely on the pickups?

18. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Doesn't sound super thin or phasey to me, sounds like a 6505 with moderate gain. Are you sure it's not your amp? Like, one of the tubes being dead or something.
    DI-tracks would be nice if possible. Also, do you have any guitars available to compare the tone to?

19. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

It sounds plenty saturated, turn the dang bass up

20. Cheeseshark

First off, sorry about such a late response, my schedule and terrible memory have been working together to prevent me from responding haha. And no, I'm not sure at all. If something was up with my amp, I probably wouldn't know unless it just straight up crapped out on me or caught fire. Any suggestions for what I should keep an eye on?
    I'll get one ASAP and edit my comment to include it, just gotta find a good time, not living alone sucks haha. And DI-tracks unfortunately aren't a thing I know how to do haha, not do I have the gear.

Oh? Do you think that's it? When I was messing around, I felt like turning the bass only made it sound less agressive. It's not in that clip because I'm an idiot, but the seventh string, and god forbid the eighth string, basically had half the bite of the low E that you're hearing. So I've kinda developed a habit of having just about no low end.