Having severe heart anxietyt

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by thatguyupthere, May 1, 2014.

1. thatguyupthere

thatguyupthere is rockin out

Well basically whenever I can't feel my hear beating I think it's on the verge of stopping and life fading out. I constantly focus my attention toward the heart area of my chest and am constantly feeling for my pulse. Ironically when I get so worked up that I can feel it pounding oyt of my chest I still feel like it will stop at any second. Other times when I feel my pulse I won't feel any thing for a second and that really sets me off.

I know it's normal to not feel it beating unless you feel your pulse, but phsychologically I just can't get over it. I would say I'm aware of about every single heart beat I have every day. Even though I'm aware of my heart beating, I still feel as if it will fail me; even as I type this. It's almost like a conscious effort I have to keep putting fourth every day to keep it beating

I know you guys can't do anything to help physically but atleast getting feed back might put me at ease. I've lost about 4-5 hours of my normal sleep pattern tonight just by having an anxiety attack; I have to get up for school in four hours. That is not a good day at school, going on four hours of sleep, that is.

Any appropriate feedback is appreciated, thanks!

2. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

sounds to me like you just need to set aside some time and take it easy and just relax. It really does sound like something thats all in your head and it definitely seems stress related (in my very unprofessional opinion). I know it can be difficult/ impossible to just say ".... obligations" for a day or two, but everyone needs some time to unwind. If that doesn't help then i would see a doctor or at least some kind of medical professional because it certainly doesn't sound normal or healthy. Hopefully you can get it sorted out one way or another.

3. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

Consider seeing a therapist. Oftentimes they're just people who are good at listening and talking you through things, without having to worry about what your normal friends and family will think or say. They can help you get to a good baseline and develop better coping strategies.

Be aware that some therapists suck at their jobs. If one is annoying you, just bail.

4. thatguyupthere

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've considered seeing a doctor just to get an official statement to help me calm down. I know this doesn't seem like normal anxiety either, fear of ones vital organs failing? *scoff* It just seems so unnatural that someone my age, 17, would be experiencing this magnitude off anxiety with so much to live for.

Seriously, am I the only one who freaks out when they can both feel and not feel their own heart beating? Or am I just going insane?

5. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

As teenage anxieties go, I think you got off easy.

6. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Don't go in here then!!!

100% honest here man; You are completely 100% just fine.

I had a good friend go through this when he was about your age. He had reached the false conclusion within his mind that overdoing certain trippy substances had in fact poisoned his body and brain.
    He used to do the same thing you're doing (hyper-focusing on bodily noises, and in his case he'd also stare at the veins on his inner-fingers and hands/wrists).
    He was convinced his veins were about to pop out.
    Definitely not a good idea to mention brain aneurysms around him back then.

Eventually enough time passed and he just sort of tired out or became bored with the focusing, I guess anyways.

Hell man, if it might give you the piece of mind just go in and get a good workup/checkup and see what they say. Can only hurt your wallet, and if it helps you feel better then do it. Money isn't everything.

7. metaldoggie

metaldoggie Pro smeghead

You are most likely fine, but see your doctor. He/she might prescribe you something for anxiety or sleeping, or reccommend a therapist.
    As someone already said dont feel like you have to stick with the first therapist, if you dont like them find someone else.
    It may just be "teenage anxiety" but you shouldnt feel worried about your health like that at any age.
    I wish someone would have sent me to a therapist when I was your age, instead of holding my troubles in all the time.

8. Defi

Defi SS.org Regular

I have anxiety issues too. For me I get dizzy. Sometimes when I'm high my heart will start pounding enough that I think if I was in a fight I would just have to stand close to my opponent and it would knock them out. But that part doesn't really bother me. The dizziness does.

Find some anchor. For me it's a TV show that I'm comfortable with (as during high anxiety phases I find that intense or surprising TV shows increase it), or a video game, or anything that lets me escape. I try to minimize time being a vegetable in front of a screen but it has its virtues. Or music, but oddly enough for me music often makes it worse even though I love music more than anything. I guess it keeps my mind racing.

Exercise. Or do something that makes you feel good about yourself. If you're in school, force yourself to study even if you don't need to. If you feel like you aren't good enough at guitar, force yourself to practice 30 min to an hour every day for a while. Set time aside to grow and learn every day. It's therapeutic.

And: get laid.

Note: I saw a therapist for a while. I found that it was very enjoyable to talk to someone who... kind of knew what to expect I guess? My friends/family were getting annoyed with me when I was in my worst phases. And I began to feel that everything they said was biased by the fact that they had to deal with me constantly, and they didn't know what to say to much of what I said. The therapist did, and it was good for a while, but soon the novelty wore off and I fell into one of those "This can't work because reasons" mindset.

Long story short: One way or another I found that behavior was the root of my psychological weaknesses.

Okay, I have digressed enough.

9. thatguyupthere

:cheers: guys, iv learned to become more docile about my heart anxiety. if it happens again I might just get a final consensus from the Doc. i just try to get out of the house more and find other thing to keep my mind off of it.

10. MatthewLeisher

MatthewLeisher Ghostmaker

I've suffered from panic disorder and OCD since about 5th grade, I'm now 24. My OCD is like 97% gone, but I still get anxiety from time to time. What you're getting is just an intrusive thought, which is incredibly common for people with anxiety disorders. I used to get them constantly, sometimes it was about my heart stopping, sometimes it was about feeling claustrophobic in my own head/body (I never actually WAS claustrophobic in my head/body, it was just the fear of that happening that freaked me out) The main one I had was the fear of becoming suicidal after starting Prozac, again I didn't actually become suicidal, it was just the fear of it happening.

Sometimes people go through phases of their lives where they get intrusive thoughts for a while, and sometimes they just stop by themselves. However, if it persists and makes it so that you can't go about your normal life then I would suggest going to see your general practitioner doctor and see if he can refer you to a psychiatrist who can tell you all your options for treatment.

Best of luck and I hope you feel better dude!