Having a hard time getting into a routine

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by exarchangel, Dec 9, 2015.

1. exarchangel

exarchangel Guitarist

Lately I've been having a hell of a time trying to get into a routine that allows me to go to the gym every day, train martial arts 3x a week, practice guitar, record, and teach at 3 music schools, practice archery, and go bowhunting whenever i can, all the while going through my 4th year in my Bachelor of music degree.

I've made a google calendar and tried to get really organized, but i just don't know, it doesn't seem to be quite working out where I make it to the gym every day you know? Or I'll skip out on playing guitar or whatnot.

Any suggestions?

2. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Get on a 3-day a week routine so you don't have to go every day?

3. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

Keep it simple and enjoy the life.

I am sure you enjoy all the activities, but maybe they are too many to handle at the same time.

4. onefingersweep

onefingersweep SS.org Regular

Difficult to give suggestions if we don't know what your goals are. What do you want to achieve?

5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

What they said. I've been working on time management with a timetable and its very helpful and sounds entirely necessary for you.
    You are going to have to prioritize.
    Maybe cut down to 6 hours sleep if you haven't already.
    You don't need to go to the gym every day though - every other day,or just Mon Wed Fri can be very effective. What style of training?

6. onefingersweep

Cutting down on sleep would be a terrible idea if he do as many things he says he does. It's when you're sleeping your brain learns. So cutting down on that would be a really bad idea.

7. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Certainly true but I'd argue 6 hours is plenty once accustomed to it. Just a suggestion I'd make to people who want more time but sleep 8/9 hours

8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I have not yet, but plan on reading the Get Things Done philosophy of time management. There are even apps that can be configured to work with GTD. It's basically like a to do list that is way more than just a list. Google it, and read up on it. I'll expect a full report on my desk Monday morning. :lol: No, but seriously, look into it. It may be what you're looking for.

Also, whenever possible, don't go home before you go do other things. Like, for me, if I go home before going to the gym - I never go to the gym. I have to go directly after work. When I get home my brain and body start relaxing, and it's super hard to get motivated.

Last thing - don't eat a big meal if you have any intentions of being motivated to do stuff for the next couple of hours. If I'm going to practice guitar at night, I have a super small dinner and just snack after, otherwise I'm likely to go into a mini food coma and have a hard time getting my ass off the couch.

9. onefingersweep

Then I would totally oppose that and suggest more sleep (if he's able to do it) and shorter workouts/practice with more focus on quality :)

I think people are sleeping way too little these days, so much stress in society. They recommend 8 hours sleep, I would recommend more than that. Especially for males and if you're training. I know it can be difficult, all people can't sleep like that but if you can't then you have to live with it. I'd say that 6 hours is the limit, if you sleep less than that you have a problem. Some people might be okay with only 6 hours, although I think in general most people would get problems with that if they workout a lot. Atleast you will not gain as much as you could be.