Having a hard time finding a metal bassist locally because of tuning......

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by lewis, Jul 24, 2015.

1. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

Now show him this thread and see how long he wants to stick around.

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

:lol: Christmas has come early? Scrooge?

3. robare99

robare99 SS.org Regular

Sell the 8 string and buy a 6 string.

4. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

So cool! I love bands live videos. in fact I also love studio jam sessions and rehearsal space jams.

5. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

Yup, those are the best.

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Well, would you be open to the bass player reworking the bass lines to your songs? I've never been a particularly big fan of the bass player just doing what the guitar player does, just one octave lower. I always write bass lines that are sometimes lower, sometimes higher than the guitar lines. Can you not just have a traditionally tuned bass, show the player what the lines you have are, and then let him (or her) mess around and come up with something that sounds good on their instrument? When we take piano songs and arrange them for guitar we do it all the time, so no reason the bass player can't do that with your material. I mean, tuning down shouldn't mean that the whole band literally just plays everything 4.5 steps lower. Typically the idea of tuning down is that you now have an increased range. Let the bass player work in whatever part of the range that sounds good.

7. elkinz

elkinz Pun Enthusiast

Thanks man! Rehearsals are so funny to watch because of all the friendly banter that goes on in between songs :p

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Literally what he does which A) sounds awesome and B) presumably whilst although his low is tuned to match mine, he turned up to first practice not remotely put off or worried by tunings :yesway:

9. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

I was one of the guys who tried out for you, the tuning could have been an issue but if I remember it was drop E at the time right?

Norfolk is a bit of a deadzone. I tried sorting a band of this genre out a couple of months ago, tried 4 different drummers and eventually gave up when the 4th one revealed didn't even have his own kit to practice after the 3rd session! I thought "what luck" when I had so many drummers respond to the Soundcloud add about "this is sick, let me try!" and then either couldn't play the style/wanted to change the style/didn't have interest enough to practice.

I'd love to eventually get into an active band as a guitarist around here, but it's still Killswitch Engage clones and thrash metal addicts. Maybe in 5-10 years I should try again right haha?

10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Hey mate,

yeah thats right but we only did that to make it easier for bassists to try out in auditions as most had 4 strings in standard tuning that were applying. Ok so it would of been an octave above the guitar but at least it would of worked well enough for the duration of an audition.

The tuning long term and plan was always Gb>Ab open. 2 songs were already written in Gb when we were holding auditions. Like I say we just lowered them to E to make standard tuning easier for bass auditions.

and HAHAHA yes! /\ :lol: so incredibly accurate to this scene its unreal. Stick with it though, Im sure something will come off. Vocalists are the ones nion impossible to find in my experiences with this area.

11. TankJon666

TankJon666 SS.org Regular

If you and your drummer can play tight to a click track Id use a pre-recorded bass part. Easiest solution requiring no compromise. And if your drummer can't play to a click use pre recorded drums :)

12. wiretap

wiretap n00b

+1. Tuning low doesn't make you heavy, good riffs and song writing does.

13. Tisca

Tisca SS.org Regular

Yes. Was going to suggest the "Meshuggah style" tuning.

14. GunnarJames

GunnarJames SS.org Regular

Just started a prog/djent/metal band with a buddy of mine on drums and his friend as the second guitar player maybe 3-4 months ago. I play an 8 string tuned EAEADGBE, and he plays a 6 string. He insisted that we tune down a half step. I refused to do so, because I already drop my 7th and 8th string and have multiple projects in genres not even close to metal using that tuning. I told him he can play in whatever tuning works best for him, we don't have to be in the same tuning. He ended up quitting.

It was so crazy that he got that worked up over a half step, considering we're talking standard 6 string tuning. The whole concept when the band started was for him to be in E standard/drop D on his 6 string, our other guitarist to be in B standard/drop A on his 6 string, and me on the 8 swinging back and forth between the two of them with the option for a few lower notes, forcing us to be more creative with our writing by losing a lot the ability to just mimic each other if an idea doesn't immediately come to mind, while still playing in tunings that compliment each other well.

Some people just aren't open minded enough or have the skill level to work with "unorthodox" tunings. :shrug:

I suppose you COULD try to argue that I was the one being stubborn or controlling, but it's substantially easier to tune your completely normal, 6 string guitar in STANDARD than it is to tune an 8 string one and a half steps down.

Kind of a reverse of your situation, and with guitars, but the principle still applies. If anything, in my opinion, this actually seems more ridiculous. :nuts:

To chime in on the bass situation, drop G really isn't that ridiculous of a request for a bass player to tune to. Especially on a 5 string where there is less modification needed to the nut. I setup a 5 string for a customer of mine a whole step down (ADGCF) with a 160-120-90-65-50 set and it felt great (all of the strings had about 38lbs of tension). Even without going heavier on the lowest string to drop to G, you'd have the same tension with 160 on the low G (30lbs) as you would with the standard 130 that comes in most 5 string sets for the standard low B (31lbs).

15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i can defo see the similarity in the situation. Deary me that is silly.

We are actually permanently in Drop E open now with the lineup complete and really settled. Our Bassist is tremendously open minded and isnt phased one bit about low tunings which is awesome.
    Some guys just dont have the right attitude to be in bands imo, I got alot of people moaning at my "attitude" in this thread, but ultimately "my attitude" was what was actually getting the band places. We dont have time to have members in that are going to complain about an 8 string being in standard tuning. Especially when they are the last on board.

Im glad Ive got our band sorted out and for what its worth too, the bassist we found isnt even from my local area and has to travel miles every practice. I guess that proves it to me, my area is just woeful for open minded/cutting edge musicians who aspire to do something expressive and awesome in a band. Somethings never change.

16. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

I've had a similar issue really. I tune to F standard on an 8 string and open Cmaj with a low G on a 7 string, but not many people around play ERGs or want to use such tunings. So, I bought a 5 string bass with the idea to tune it to G C G C G, and then get another 5 string and tune it to F F Bb Ab Eb (The lowest F being an octave down, the rest being tuned a semitone up, like Meshuggah), that way, if I find a bass player and they only have 1 bass or just don't want to get things set up for these mad tunings, I have instruments for them to use.

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I suggested this to dudes before and then I got "But the strings are too thick, or...its sounds too muddy its tough to play". Its then like...what so Ive got to also buy you a Bass compressor, Od/darkglass and an bass eq pedal aswell?. DO you want to be in the band or not?" haha

18. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I've had dudes who want to try out for the band asking to use my guitars for tryouts, borrowing a guitar "until they can afford and eight", had one guy that wanted me to let him pick one up and take it home to learn the material because he wasn't sure if he wanted an 8..... If the ad says "all songs are written on and for 8-string guitars" why would you even bother me if you're gonna ask to mooch my gear.

19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

:nuts::nuts: :scratch: :lol: :wallbash: :noplease:

How absolutely stupid are some people?. As you say why would you even bother applying?

20. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

One guy stole my tab book once, too...ass...