Having a gap year in australia next year, suggestions needed!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by x666charlie666x, Jun 14, 2012.

1. x666charlie666x

x666charlie666x SS.org Regular

Basically im planning a gap year in Australia next year, approx starting next September, however i have never been to Australia and i have no idea what to see and where to go, my initial plan is two months in Perth, two months in Sydney and two months in Melbourne, the other 6 months i have not decided upon as i want the year to be fairly flexible so i can do what i want as and when i want. What do you guys recommend? Bare in mind that i will also have to work wherever i go.

One dilemma im having is how is the job market over there as im going to be obtaining the working holiday visa which allows me to have casual work, but no longer than 6 months with one employer, are there plenty of jobs around? ive checked the Australian gumtree and loads of backpacker job websites but i just wanted either a locals perspective or current/previous backpackers perspective.

Also as this is a music based forum, what can i do/see regarding the Australian music scene? bare in mind it has to be relatively cheap, 12 months without my guitars is going to be difficult but if i can see some decent Aussie bands then i'd be happy.

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

I'll pay you to go to Queensland and get Dan at Oni guitars to make me one!!! :yesway:

:lol:

3. x666charlie666x

4. Murmel

Murmel Fapping to J-rock

Be prepared that you could die at almost any time. Because everything in Australia is big and aggressive, or venomous as fuck.

:squint:

5. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Melbourne.

You're welcome.

6. x666charlie666x

what can i do/see in melbourne? anything that a local can recommend?

7. Nonservium

Nonservium ss.org Irregular

Better take some Raid.

[​IMG]

8. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I would be careful, remember, you brits shipped prisoners there for a reason.

9. Brill

Brill sweet little lolita.

If you're lookoing for music based stuff, the country towns have a lot of music, But its mostly shit.

Job wise its a bit hard to get a decent job where i live, or any job for that matter, but its probably different in the city.

there is nothing really intresting in Australia... just a lot of hot weather, and Beer.. Not to much Metal music. Also perpare for a lot of swearing, we say Cunt a lot :D

10. Metal_Webb

Metal_Webb Needs more strings Contributor

See, it's funny, but if we went around giving other countries all this sort of flak, we'd be called racist :rolleyes: :lol:

As for what to do in Australia? Well there's plenty of jobs. When it gets time to harvest the farmers love backpackers. You pretty much go and pick fruit for a few weeks. That lets you see the more "rural" parts of the country.

As for music scene, your best bets would be Sydney and Melbourne. Pretty much any bigger band doing a tour will stop by there and due to the population density there's always shows happening.

11. x666charlie666x

cheers guys for your replies,

im just looking to see whether there's ample amounts of bar work/retail work available, if there is then happy days but if not then it might make me reconsider to length of the trip.

i can imagine alot of shitty rock bands, i cant imagine the small towns have djent gigs going on hah.

all the information on the internet regarding backpacker work states that fruit picking is popular in regards to short term work, i would kind of see it as last resort as i can imagine it being very shitty, hot weather, mammoth spiders, long hours, but the pay is good considering it is fruit picking, i read something like 15 dollars an hour?

12. x666charlie666x

double post

13. Metal_Webb

Metal_Webb Needs more strings Contributor

Well $15 an hour here is like minimum casual wage rate for a 16 year old :lol: Any bar work you get would probably be in excess of $22/h.

14. Nonservium

Nonservium ss.org Irregular

:scratch:

15. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Perth?!?! its in the middle of nowhere and pretty boring. Don't waste your time there unless you want to make a lot of money doing mine work haha.

Stick to Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane. I'd pick Brisbane as it's in Queensland, the weather is great and you're a few hours away from Byron Bay!

16. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Melbourne has arguably the richest music scene in the country. Sydney is pretty big to but I guess I'm a little biased.

As for employment, Metal_Webb has already covered most of the info. I know a fair bit of backpackers/couch surfers/student friends that don't mind the rural jobs. They always meet a heap of new friends because of it, and they've all enjoyed their experiences.

Djent bands gig? I thought they just post play along vids of themselves in their bedrooms on youtube? :lol:

I kid I kid.

17. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Well it is true. :lol:

18. Evil Weasel

Evil Weasel SS.org Regular

A couple of my gf's friends are in Melbourne at the moment. They are both qualified nurses on a gap year type thing and went through Asia (Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand etc) then to New Zealand and have been in Melbourne for a few months. They both found getting work quite easy. 1 of them works in an Irish pub (they are Irish btw ;) ) and the other is doing some sort of work relating to mental health nursing, which is what they did in the UK before they left. So yeah jobs aren't a problem, they have had problems with the flat they rented though and report quite a bit of hostility from some locals (ie the 'dey took errrr jobs' - the kind of xenophobic racists who blame everything on people from different countries, but lets face it - those idiots exist everywhere).

19. Winspear

Winspear EtherealEntity Vendor

That is sick! I want to travel to Australia and pick fruit :lol:

20. in-pursuit

in-pursuit SS.org Regular

I'd recommend skipping Perth and going to Adelaide instead, unless you're looking at trying to get work in the mines like previously stated. there's not much of interest in Adelaide from what I've heard either, it's mostly a gigantic country town sort of. some very good bands from down that way though depending on what you like to listen to.

if you're only looking at being down this way for one of our summers, my recommendation would be to backpack from Sydney up the east coast once spring hits and just keep making your way north until you can't stand the heat anymore then duck back down south for Melbourne/Adelaide for the cooler months. we get a bit of snow in the more southern areas of the country during winter so if that's your thing you might like to stick around down south for that.

The entire east coast is more densely populated than the rest of the country especially Sydney and Melbourne so naturally there's a lot more city related benefits in those places, lots of bars/work/bands and venues. I don't know much about the fruitpicking circuit south of Bris but I've got a few friends who all agree there's a lot of fruit to be picked further north of Brisbane and as an added bonus it's probably one of the nicer stretches of land. lots of beaches, rainforests, and the quickly disappearing great barrier reef :) Airlie Beach is a bit of a backpacking mecca of sorts, a lot of foreigners congregate there and there are a lot of hostels and bars. if you haven't heard of it before I'd recommend you look it up.