Hannibal new season - Anyone else looking forward to it? :-)

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Rev2010, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

... being the first episode is tonight? I loved the first and second season, and more so I love the last episode of the second season. The slowed down Bach aria was just so amazing, actually downloaded it and listen to it on occasion. Interested to see where they go with this.

Rev.

2. Buffnuggler

Buffnuggler SS.org Regular

I'm ecstatic. One of my favorite shows and this season is looking to be the best yet, considering it has steadily improved and they are finally dropping the "crime show" format 100%. Plus the Red Dragon is going to get introduced so it sounds like the 4th season will be perfectly set up.

The only thing that's missing is that Michael Pitt is no longer onboard, who was perfect as Verger, but I guess if there was any time to lose him this was it.

3. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I've got it set to record :yesway:

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

All I have to say is "zzzzzzzzzzzz..."

Next week should be better. This show obviously proved it was all about deliberate, season-long arcs instead of having every episode be the same action level. But yeah, I was still incredibly bored!

5. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Yeah, I was complaining throughout the episode how slow and boring it was. Seems like they intentionally wasted a lot of time with those artsy cuts and fades to cover time as if they didn't know what to write. Hope next one is better.

Rev.

6. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

Beautifully shot, boring as sin. I expected more from the premiere.

7. Sicarius

Sicarius Reggie J Worthington

The show's gotta establish itself for the season, to set the first location, and what's transpired to get them to where they are. Not just physically, but emotionally, too with the relationship between Hannibal and Bedellia,

The FBI lost him at the end of the last season, and they're trying to find him. They've gotta set it up before the big guns start coming in, guys.

Not every season needs to start off with a gruesome murder pose or dramatic gun fight.

8. wankerness

It's probably a case of Breaking Bad season 4 where while they aired I hated the first few episodes and found them so boring I almost stopped watching the show, but then on binge rewatch they were completely fine and even preferable to having action filled stuff cause it made the season work as one big unit where the tension and action steadily rose for the whole season.

9. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Oh HELLZ yes. I'm so ready. I watched the first 2 LITERALLY 5 times in a row back to back. Need. This. In. My. Life.

10. Buffnuggler

Buffnuggler SS.org Regular

I really liked the first episode. It's nice to have such a change of pace, the shows never gone full Hannibal before. I think having the season play out over a full arc as opposed to the more episodic formats of the past is going to really pay off in dividends.

Even though not a ton happened it was beautifully shot and for the most part the dialogue was great. The show needs a bit of a "reset" after season 1/2 which were really their own arc.

11. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

Loved the first episode, though it was admittedly hard to absorb the new setting. It just didn't give me the same vibe that the first two seasons had, and rather felt more... off. It really started to sink in during the second half of the episode though, and it ended on a high note. Some of the takes felt just a tad TOO artsy fartsy, but nothing I found out of the norm. The artsiness of the show is the main reason I like it. Nice change of pace, I think. I have never known a more unsettling show on such a deep level.

12. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Liked this second episode a lot more, but I have to say:
    Thank God they made Abigail imaginary. When they made it like she survived I was like "No f'ing way, BS... she would've bled to death and been dead"

Rev.

13. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

14. wankerness

I'm not worried. It's apparently INCREDIBLY cheap to produce and places like Amazon have expressed interest. If it's as cheap as people are saying it shouldn't suffer from the transition.

15. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Wow, that's interesting and surprising news. Even if there was a rights issue as they say (ie. no rights to Clarice's character) why not just write without the character? Seems like something else must be going on, we'll probably find out exactly why it was cancelled in due time.

That said, this season just really isn't doing it for me so far. I know I know, only 3 episodes in, and it looks like it might be ramping up with the upcoming preview they had. So we'll see. But up till now it's be leaving me with "meh..."

Rev.

16. wankerness

Yeah, the first three episodes have essentially been 3 dream sequences with some flashbacks.

17. Metal Mortician

Metal Mortician Ninja Lurker

Given that both Netflix and Amazon have passed on the renewal of the series, and Hugh Dancy has been picked up for a Hulu series, I think the proverbial fork has been stuck in this one. Too bad. Damn good show. I'll miss it.

18. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Yeah this season has picked up and gotten a whole lot better. Not sure how long I'd want it to go on anyhow.

Rev.

19. wankerness

Well, season 4 was going to be about the downfall of Will, which was not going to be any fun, but season 5 was going to be Silence of the Lambs with Will in the Crawford role there, which would have been awesome IMHO. This season's re-do of Red Dragon is absolutely destroying the movie versions so far. That sequence in the last episode with him stalking Will's family in the house was :eek: The actor they got to play Dolarhyde is actually selling stuff like the painting-eating and manages to be both more sympathetic and scarier than the previous two actors (neither of whom was a slouch by any stretch of the imagination - Tom Noonan and Ralph Fiennes).

20. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

I just finished season 3 and... wow. I don't have enough words for this show. The last two episodes I thought felt somewhat rushed, but it was still beautiful in its own, twisted, and messed up way.

Now I desperately need a giant poster of Mads Mikkelsen as Hannibal to put in my room. :lol: