Handy scale website

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Chris, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

Welcome. I didn't mean to be confrontational in this thread, I just know that if I were searching for a review on a book, I'd like to see a lively discussion to see both the merits and faults of the book. Ultimately, I do keep the Guitar Grimoire around because 1.) a lot of guitarists own it and it allows me the opportunity to understand where some people are coming from, 2.) visually, it looks cool, and 3.) I like to see other people's methods and opinions, even if I think they're bullshit. :lol: I guess there is an addendum to the scales book that has a lot of the things that I would have liked the first book to have. I might buy it at some point to see what's up, although I'm wary due to my previous exposure to the author.

Regarding that scale... I don't have the book with me right now. Is that the W/H or H/W scale (this one)? Because that's fairly common, and it goes by about sixteen thousand different names. If that's it, I wrote a thread up on that particular scale: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/music-theory-lessons-techniques/133908-show-me-some-octatonic.html

2. Gothic Headhunter

Gothic Headhunter Born on a Monday

Thats it! I shoul"ve realized what "octatonic" ment. But you wernt confrontational at all, there was no point in the conversation that I thought that you were a jerk. You just really wanted to get your point across, and I'm glad you did! So thank you for actually having intelligent conversation with me and helping me out with all these cool scales. Oh, and one more thing, Whats your opinion on 8 string guitars. I noticed your username and figured you might be experienced in this feild.

3. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

I love talking scales. :D Béla Bartók does some lovely things with the octatonic scale. When I get home, I can dig up a few things to show you what I mean.

I've had one eight string in my life, an Agile, and while I enjoyed having it, the scale length (28.625") was too long for my liking. I tuned to F# standard, and I could only use 9's and below for the high E, as the tension was too great. Schecter's 8's are 26.5", so I imagine that they don't have the same problem. If I had the money, I'd buy another 8, but I could live without it; I'd prefer a 7, truthfully. I can't really explain why.

EDIT: Here's some of that Bartók stuff.

String Quartet No. 4, Mvt. 5

Most of that movement uses the octatonic scale, and the first theme uses it almost exclusively. Also, 4:16-4:20 is how you're supposed to pull off parallel fifths. :metal: You might not be able to hear this, but the fifth movement is basically the first movement (0:00-6:00), but in different clothes. (Sorry for the shit recordings, but the Emerson Quartet's version is blocked in the U.S.)

Mikrokosmos No. 101 - "Diminished Fifth"

44 Duos For Violin - No. 33, Ara táskor (Song of the Harvest)

In those two, he takes two minor tetrachords (the first four notes of a minor scale) that are a tritone apart and gives them to two different instruments (right hand and left hand in the piano piece, and two violins in the violin duo, obviously). So, it might be something like the first violin plays C D Eb F and the second plays F# G# A B (I think it's actually G A Bb C and C# D# E F#, in that piece, but whatever). When you put those together (making C D Eb F F# G A B), you get an octatonic scale. Pretty nifty, huh?

4. trickae

trickae Ibanez Enthusiast

Sorry for the long hiatus. i should have some time this weekend to throw together the basics of modes, chords and pitch axis theory. I won't delve into the nitty gritty of diatonics and triads and stuff, since that is far better explained elsewhere on the net.

what I will do is tie in the theory that makes a major scale a major scale and a minor scale a minor scale. What chords are available, harmonizing major scales, modes of any scale, etc

Hard part is - is just getting the time to sit down and write this all down.

Also, I too agree that the guitar grimoire is a waster of paper. Though I got the free ebook version online and barely went through it.

5. MeriTone Music

MeriTone Music SS.org Regular

Nice one, thanks!!! :shred:

6. kabz

kabz SS.org Regular

Scale Calculator

That has been my go to for years.

Chord finder and maker too

7. AscendingMatt

AscendingMatt SS.org Regular

8. fatfinger

fatfinger SS.org Regular

9. Joseph Kimbrell

Joseph Kimbrell SS.org Regular

10. lvsexgtr

lvsexgtr 7 stringologist

Thanks man!!!

11. David Portelli

David Portelli SS.org Regular

Thanks for sharing :)

12. Reino Tulonen

Reino Tulonen SS.org Regular

This one is useful too! It's got dozens of scales, chords, lessons etc...

Guitar Chords

13. Bear R.

Bear R. Bear R.-

All these are all cool tools but this here..well,you cant beat it..it plays it for ya..ha,ha..i like that you can see and hear the notes.and how their played...great find man..:cool:...God Bless Barry.

14. Andrew Tintle

Andrew Tintle SS.org Regular

Awesome find, thank you for sharing!

15. Distracter

Distracter Wanker

I think every scale should be found in the form of all 6 strings and 3 notes per string. After learning those it would be easy and beneficial to learn variations. Just a thought.

16. axionjax

axionjax SS.org Regular

17. fretter

fretter SS.org Regular

Found my self using this more and more:
    7-String sample at fretflip

Does produce ok prints and you can easily share custom scales as well.

18. rbloch66

rbloch66 SS.org Regular

For android only, currently, but an amazing resource.

Custom tunings are an option.

19. browning904

browning904 SS.org Regular