Handy scale website

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Chris, Dec 31, 2007.

1. whilstmyguitardjentlyweep

whilstmyguitardjentlyweep SS.org Regular

2. tuneinrecords

tuneinrecords SS.org Regular

Very cool site. Diggin' the chord section. The scale stuff could be a little more in depth though. Otherwise awesome stuff.

3. tuneinrecords

tuneinrecords SS.org Regular

4. whatwecalldaryl

whatwecalldaryl SS.org Regular

this thing rules dude thanks

5. jp72

jp72 Proghead

Awseome thanks :)

6. Autopsy7

Autopsy7 SS.org Regular

7. Grimbold

Grimbold SS.org Regular

oh
    i've seen this one
    it's really good
    especially if you know what you're looking for

8. HOKENSTYFE

HOKENSTYFE HeartWyrm

:bowdown:Much Obliged!

9. trickae

trickae Ibanez Enthusiast

Hey guys,

Sorry to go off topic but there's an even handier method of mastering scales. It's called learning modes on the guitar that will help you visualize the entire neckboard as a combination of scales in any key. There's some simple rules that can be used to change a minor scale to a harmonic minor or a phyrigian scale to a phryigian dominant - its just a matter of knowing the rules.

Unfortunately vinnie moore's video on youtube is a terrible attempt at teaching it and lick library did a poor job of it as well - with their 7 DVD set. I know cuz i bought it.

Modes gave me trouble for a good 10 years until i finally swallowed my pride and gave in to taking lessons focussing on theory.

I could play a good ten malmsteen songs from start to finish but when my guitar teacher told me to play a C chord in 5 different positions I was lost. I can't stress enough how eye opening learning modes was - now changing keys, knowing what chords are available from odd sus2 / sus4 chords, knowing how to use the right scale or even experiment with a variety of different ones over a standard tune is insane. And it's not that difficult.

If you guys like i can write up a tutorial on modes, chord theory and pitch axis theory in a group of 3 lessons maybe in a thread of it's own. Let me know if there;s interest.

10. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

11. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

2nd'd. I'd be keen to read that.

12. Gothic Headhunter

Gothic Headhunter Born on a Monday

If you're looking for a handy resource for scales, check out the "guitar grimore". It has pretty much evry scale you'll ever need, but its only for a 6 string. Still a great resource, though.

13. Mr. Big Noodles

It's actually quite limited. There are a lot of websites that accomplish what the Guitar Grimoire does, and often tell you much more than that book does.

14. Gothic Headhunter

Really, and I thought that that book was enough. Well, enough for me at least, but its still a great resource.

15. Mr. Big Noodles

If you look at my comments regarding the Guitar Grimoire books, you'll see that I'm clearly opposed and frankly biased. However, what I say in relation to that volume, I'm absolutely willing to back up. My main beef is this: it's a waste of paper. The format is such that there are 27 parent scales in the table of contents, you flip to a page and see a bunch of little fretboards showing whatever the scale is, in every position for every key. If there were a little more theory in the front of the book, you could do away with having to show it in every single key and maybe just have it in a couple of keys and give a formula. Spoonfeeding the transposition for every key typically takes three pages, then you turn the next page and find the next mode of the scale. Thing is, this is the exact same information. Go to page 21, and look at the first diagram: F major. Now, flip to 24, go down to the third diagram for G dorian. If you compare the two, they're the same thing, spare the name of the scale and the numbers above the fretboards. This isn't an isolated incident, but the pattern that makes up the total bulk of the book. You're paying to have this information iterated to you not just twice, but up to seven times for each scale, each time with absolutely no expansion. You get that here for free, without taking up space on your shelf: GUITAR SCALES

If I just wanted to list all of these scales and put a fingering to them, I could do so with three or four pages, and I'm being generous. Take a page to explain how to translate the pattern to the fretboard and elaborate upon transposition, teach some basic scale building, and you eliminate the need for what are otherwise useless resources. The truth of it is that lists of scales and chords and tunings are complete bullshit. The important things are developing a sense of tonality and harmony, structuring melodic and harmonic cadences, and having a historical and stylistic context for musical material. This is extremely rare in guitar instruction, perhaps because there is a lack of an institution behind it, or perhaps because the available materials are authored and distributed by people who want to make a quick buck, or perhaps the people that teach the instrument are simply ignorant. In the case of Adam Kadmon's books, I'm inclined to believe that all three forces are at work: nobody's checking him, so he's producing a repetitive series of non-informational filler based on the fact that his version of complexity justifies the multiplication of the extremely limited information that he knows, with no desire to further educate himself and pass along architectural ideas. Fuck, at least tell people how to read a treble clef, if nothing else.

16. Gothic Headhunter

Well you just completely destroyed my argument. But as far as therory goes, I dont know much. The most sophisticated thing I know is How to alter a chord (Diminished, augmented, minor, etc.), and I don't have much of a desire to learn how to read msic. And I haven't had enough time to look through the whole thing, I've only looked at Minor Harmonic, Pentatonic, Hungarian and 8 tone diminished. So for me, it works. Would you recommened the excersice edition of the guitar grimore, or is that a waste of paper as well?

17. Mr. Big Noodles

I realize that most people that buy the book aren't looking for an in-depth theory reference, but just something that has a few scale fingerings. That's cool, but realize that the information is free and very easy to find online, if not in a million other books, charts and posters. The format of the scales book just seems like the most ineffective thing to me. I can't speak for the exercises book, as I don't own it, but I think that this review on Amazon speaks volumes:

Sounds familiar, no? This positive review also mentions redundancy, and seems to applaud the fact that half of the book is in F major.

Meanwhile, one of our forum members has some serious instructional material on his website.

Some critical thought never hurts, so I advise you to do research before you make any decision. I feel very strongly about the Guitar Grimoire scales books, and I tend to think that I know a thing or two about scales. If you think differently, then contradict me, by all means.

18. Gothic Headhunter

I get what you're saying, and I agree, it doesn't teach you how to do much, but I bought the book to know scales and to apply them as I want. Not as a jazz guitarist would, not as a classical guitarist would, and not as a shred guitarist would. I have a guitar teacher, If I wanted to know how to play jazz I'd ask him. I wanted to know the scales in their raw form so that I could apply them as I wanted, regardless of what someone I've never heard of wants me to play. I know I sound like I'm totally oppossed to anything but the guitar grimore, but I'm not. Maybe someday I'l pick up those books, but for know I'm satisfied. And I doubt I could talk therory with you, I've seen some of your other posts. All I'm trying to say is "there are no facts, only interpretations (neitsche) I like GG, and I understand why you don't, but it works well for me, and for now, its enough.

19. Mr. Big Noodles

So, knowing that there are a great many free websites available that do exactly what the Guitar Grimoire scales book does, do you feel that GG is worth the money?

20. Gothic Headhunter

After checking out some of these scale websites, I realize that you're right, many of these FREE websites do the same thing the guitar grimore does, sometimes even more. So to answer your question, no its not worth the money. I think I'll still keep using it, only because it has the 8 tone deminished scales, which is one of my favorities, and I didn't see it on the other websites, maybe it was under a different name. Anyway, thanks for your advice!