Hand-Painting onto Lacquer?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by nkri, Jun 19, 2012.

1. nkri

nkri SS.org Regular

Hey everyone,
    I'm doing an apprenticeship this summer with a luthier in RI (details and pics to come in a future thread). One of our current projects is to refinish an 80s Carvin, and the plan is to paint the schematic of the customer's amp onto the body. The body's already been stripped down to bare wood, and we plan to apply a gradient finish (green to black, treble->bass). My sister is an artist and will be in town this weekend to hand-paint the schematic. My question is, what kind of paint should she use? She'll just be painting the black lines of the schematic, with no letters or other markings of any kind. We were gonna put a base coat of green lacquer on the body, and we're thinking she'll paint over that, then we'll apply the gradient after the design is painted on. Any suggestions?

2. mikenothing

mikenothing SS.org Regular

Hey, I don't have an answer... but I would love to know what to use as well. I have been wanting to hand draw some logos for guitar builds in basic black. Hope someone answers :)

3. bob123

bob123 Banned

anything for color is fine. You can use acrylic if you want.

Its the top coat that matters. Make sure the paint is flat and run a catalyzed clear over top for best results.

For paint, Id go with dupont car paint, they have great and vibrant colors.

4. supercolio

supercolio Super-spy

Bob seems to know the thing :) How awesome would that guitar look! PLEASE post pictures of it when finished! :D

5. nkri

nkri SS.org Regular

So if she used any black acrylic paint, the lacquer coats wouldn't dissolve the acrylic or distort it in any way? Just wanna make sure...and the design will be painted between coats of lacquer, with a clear coat on top, so the top coat won't actually touch the design...

6. Metal_Webb

Metal_Webb Needs more strings

As long as it's fully dried, there won't be any problems with the solvents from either water or thinners based paints over the top of each other.

The problem is when you try to paint acrylic over an enamel base. Acylic paints form hard, inflexible shells. Enamels tend to be a bit more flexible and move about. What happens when you put a hard shell over a flexible substrate? It cracks. That being said, enamels over acrylics are fine.

7. Metal_Webb

Metal_Webb Needs more strings

As long as it's fully dried, there won't be any problems with the solvents from either water or thinners based paints over the top of each other.

The problem is when you try to paint acrylic over an enamel base. Acylic paints form hard, inflexible shells. Enamels tend to be a bit more flexible and move about. What happens when you put a hard shell over a flexible substrate? It cracks. That being said, enamels over acrylics are fine and unless large areas of acrylic are sandwiched between enamels, it should be fine.

nkri likes this.
  8. nkri

nkri SS.org Regular

Acrylic it is! Thanks guys.

9. mikenothing

mikenothing SS.org Regular

Im going to finish my guitar with Danish oil... can I just put acrylic over that?

10. bob123

bob123 Banned

So you're not finishing your guitar in danish oil...

yes you can paint over danish oil if its fully dried, just dont use nitro.