Halo Octavia Custom 7

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by element256, Jan 7, 2015.

1. element256

element256 SS.org Regular

Hey guys just wanted to post a review on a new guitar I had built.

This is a Halo Octavia Custom 7 string.
    Specs:
    Mahogany Body
    Mahogany 1 piece Neck Through Design
    Ebony Fingerboard
    24 Stainless Steel Frets
    27" Scale
    Custom Viking Ship Acrylic Pearl Inlay
    Flamed Maple Top
    Khaler 2300 Bridge
    Halo Locking Tuners
    Volume\Tone\Kill Switch
    BKP Aftermaths with Tyger Covers

Reason I chose Halo:
    I was in a queue to get a Daemoness built (and still am) but it's over 24 months from even talking about design with Dylan.
    So in the meantime I bought an ESP LTD EC407 and for the $500 price tag that was a 9\10 guitar but it just didn't quite have what I was looking for so I traded it on a Ibanez UV777 (which I previously owned when I was younger) to get more features. I forgot how thin the Ibanez necks were and with prolonged playing my hand would get sore and a little crampy so I couldn't really sit and write with it like I was wanting. I was searching different companies and speaking with them about builds, from Mayones to ......... to ESP and some other US based companies like Carvin etc... The companies that actually responded to me were looking at around $5k-$6500 for the build I wanted but with a insane Daemoness in the waiting line I didn't want to spend that much right now.
    So enter Halo: After some lengthy talks with Jeff Lee both via email and on the phone and he said they could get my specs nailed down for over half the price. I've read the reviews from years ago and all that jazz but I know firsthand that when a new owner comes into any company they want to shake things up and resurrect their products because that's something I do for a living. I'm also a leader, not a follower so making my own decisions instead of basing them off 4yr old reviews by a 14yr old I decided to give them a shot at the build as they seemed very eager to work on it and excited with my specs.

The process took about 10 months from talks to getting the piece in my hand. We had a few hiccups mostly because of the way I wanted the inlay set on the neck and it's sort of hard to just describe that but after we all got on the same page, Jeff absolutely nailed it and made sure that the QC on the guitar was top notch.

Now that I've had it and played it constantly for over a month now I can say that this is truly a great guitar. The neck is amazing and comfortable, I can play 5+ hrs a day with no fatigue or discomfort.
    The sound is just unreal. I was hoping for an all metal guitar but the range and clean channel on this guitar just blew me out of the water and I'm ending up not even writing heavy music with it right now. The Aftermaths are so much more than I thought they would be and the range all over the spectrum is just incredible!

The features and finish of the guitar are also 10\10. No lack of quality, no imperfections and the most stunning colors that just pop the eye!
    I wanted a Viking Ship on the neck and the body to look like the deep ocean where it could sail into oblivion if it wanted and Halo absolutely delivered on my ideas. The action is ridiculously low (which I'm going to have it raised slightly due to personal preference) but there's no buzz which is crazy to me considering how low it is to not at least have fret buzz on 1 fret somewhere. It's setup to perfection.

All in all I could not be happier with the service from the company, the quality of the instrument and the reasonably quick build and turnaround time for such a large undertaking.

They are constructed at their factory in China then final build is done at their shop outside of San Jose, California. While some consider China builds to be cheap and shitty (which some could be) the majority of everything we own and use in life is manufactured in China so that didn't deter my decision at all. Coupled with the fact they have their own shop there and frequently visit and QC guitars on site at the build factory there's no question that their new system and new owners have turned this company around.

There's unlimited options when it comes to Semi-Custom Builds but if anyone is looking for a "Full Custom" guitar built to your exact specs at a reasonable price point I would highly suggest giving Halo a call or email.

If anyone wants additional photos or info feel free to email me or post in here. :shred:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. TheStig1214

TheStig1214 Mr. Tophat Jones

Great review. Saving up for my own Halo custom.

Were you able to go over aspects of the neck like the profile and radius and fret material or is that set stuff?

3. element256

Yes like I said you can make it a Full Custom.
    For me the Ibanez neck was straining and affecting me physically so I had them make this more rounded and thicker so it cupped my hand better.

4. amonb

amonb Les Pauls forever Contributor

Interesting to hear a "new" opinion on Halo after all the troubles.

5. TheStig1214

TheStig1214 Mr. Tophat Jones

^ They've been making good stuff for the past year or so. New management, same process though. Upped their QC a lot.

6. Thesius

Thesius SS.org Regular

That looks fantastic. I've been contemplating getting a Halo built for myself after hearing a lot of good reviews about them recently

7. 777timesgod

777timesgod SS.org Regular

Nice kahler and humbucker choice.

8. element256

8 months in and still as amazing as the first time I played it. The Kahler is probably going to be my personal choice of bridge from here out just truly impressed by it for my needs.